Official LOTRO thread

Check your settings, but it's a pretty easy game to get into. If my friend is anything to go by, avoid the mage for soloing...but I don't know if that's really helping. He's kinda hopeless.

uninstall the media booster thing after the install is complete, which will also allow you to remove the download files from your desktop. i'm not sure if the media boost bandwidth use gets reduced for lotro or not, but i did notice lag in other games during the time i had it installed after downloading and installing lotro. it runs hidden at start up but it can be found in programs and features.

Thanks for the information, guys! I appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming that you know Silkroad Online's european race's classes and skills, how is LOTRO classes and skill builds comparing to those?

Am I able to fully build my characters skill tree?

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming that you know Silkroad Online's european race's classes and skills, how is LOTRO classes and skill builds comparing to those?

Am I able to fully build my characters skill tree?

Silkroad is a terrible game.

As far as "Customization", there's really not much if any early game.. you unlock skills as you level. Not until level 45 or so do you come across Legendary skills which you can only equip one of initially, then you start unlocking more slots.

Customization in LOTRO is mostly via Legendary skills, legendary gears, and traits.

Traits are passives that increase your character's strengths depending on how you play. I believe each class has 3 'trees' for traits, using multiple traits from one tree gives a 'tree' bonus depending on how many from that 'tree' you use (it's not really a tree.. more of a group).

starting area is a bit slow, but the game is starting to shine at higher levels. Really no different than WoW where you spent your first day killing kobolds and boars :)

Hopefully you won't get as bored with the game as I did. All I ever did was walk from lame quest to the next. :( I really wanted to love LOTRO.

Is that really any different than any other MMO / RPG? :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, has anyone tried this in Bootcamp on a Mac?

I'm thinking of buying Bootcamp Windows 7 just to play this... do I do that, or do I just get World of Warcarft? (although 2x?10 a month would quickly cost a lot more than the former!)

• 2 weeks later...

With LUA support finally making it to lotro, anyone have any must have addons/plugins/ui's they recommend?

Did not even know about that. Good news, can't wait for quest helpers and etc.

I played this for a bit after it went F2P, the community was horrible with the hype.

Waiting 3 months and subbed. I don't regret it in the slightest. It kinda requires you to sub or do a crapton of work if you want to exceed level 28, but I'm entirely okay with that. It is definitely game I wouldn't be ashamed to pay for.

If anyone wants to play with me and a few friends of mine, I'm reconunit415 on Steam & Reil on the server Meneldor.

I think I'd still rather play Asheron's Call, than LOTRO. Beta tested LOTRO, didn't care for it. Went back in retail some time later to allow them to polish it up. Same turd, same smell. I'm even a Tolkien fan and love the books/movies. Just can't seem to get into this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I decided to delete my guardian dwarf as it started to become boring playing...

There's nothing wrong with the character, but playing as an elf hunter requires a more pondered approach on your victim(s). Dijkstra would be proud.

Unless you're planning on joining up with someone (the intro is slightly weird about that, though it's explained well enough) it's pretty self explanatory. I think the elven starting area is cooler, but thats just my opinion :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...