Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Diskeeper 2008

48 posts in this topic

Posted

text by wikipedia.org

Diskeeper, often abbreviated DK, is a disk defragmenter originally for the VAX series of mainframe computers and later released for Microsoft Windows. It is the flagship product of Diskeeper Corporation, (formerly Executive Software) of Burbank, California, founded on July 22, 1981.

The defragmenter program included with the Windows 2000, 2003, XP, and Vista operating systems is based on a basic version of a previous Diskeeper version

New Diskeeper 2008 with InvisiTasking

Posted

Looks nicer than PerfectDisk, I'll give it a try (Y).

Posted

Very interesting, but I don't feel like they're promoting their product as good as they should. Marketing issues? The Diskeeper site barely gives any info about what is new in the 2008 version.

Posted

Kinda annoying I bought Diskeeper 2007 31 days ago... they have a 30 day free upgrade policy.. and after calling them to see if they will still give the update they said no it was over 30 days.... ugh kinda annoying but what ever

Very interesting, but I don't feel like they're promoting their product as good as they should. Marketing issues? The Diskeeper site barely gives any info about what is new in the 2008 version.

There really isn't much new

Posted

How does perfectdisk approach the new release of DK? Anybody can tell me how DK perfom recently compared to perfectdisk 8?

Posted

DK 08 made my system performance pwn lol jumped about 20% id say from there chart

Posted

One thing that is making me consider upgrading to Diskeeper 08 is its compatibility with the Shadow Copy feature in Vista - currently when the HDD is defragmented, I lose the previous versions of files.

Posted

How does perfectdisk approach the new release of DK? Anybody can tell me how DK perfom recently compared to perfectdisk 8?

I think I'll ditch PerfectDisk for it (Y).

Posted

I'm doing the same. PerfectDisk out.

Posted

I'll have to try this, because I ditched DiskKeeper for PerfectDisk back in '05.

Posted

I think I'll ditch PerfectDisk for it (Y).

I'm doing the same. PerfectDisk out.

What tests have you guys done to make the switch?

Posted

Only visual tests :rofl:

Radish

Posted

same,i am really glad dk removed the 20% free space thing that previous versions needed and needs less than pd but the offline defrag has the same as before and it seems to have made an improvement it defrags all my drives for me so i dont have to do manual defrags anymore if i dont want to and contrary to what pd says what they do about dk not defragging when the system waqs busy,i was playing a game and during it i saw no performance drop and it defragged my vm's(they were really fragmented,they always are)and performance is great.

Posted

Ideally, you'd run a FS benchmark with either Sandra or HDTach. Then you'd image it and defrag with the first app, and bench it again. Then you'd restore the image, and defrag with the second and bench it again.

I won't be benching anything until I get my new machine though :)

Posted

I would like to know too.

Posted

so, does this InvisiTasking actually make a difference or is it all marketing hype

Posted (edited)

InvisiTasking - I have noticed a performance increase on my heavily used primary HDD. The Frag Shield also helps.

Edited by NateB1

Posted

is activation in 2008? i noted it was added into DK2007 late in its life

Posted

I'm pretty much the same IRL, except I am a bit more open and vocal here. The benefits of anonymity...

It would be interesting to get the hardcore Windows and OS X users in a room and see how the debate would change.

Err ... wrong topic? :laugh:

@ Spyder - Yes, it has activation.

Radish

Posted

I'm pretty much the same IRL, except I am a bit more open and vocal here. The benefits of anonymity...

It would be interesting to get the hardcore Windows and OS X users in a room and see how the debate would change.

Ummmmmmmmmm.... Who/what are you replying to!?

Posted

Interesting! Thanks for the info. Off to download it now. Invisitasking worked really well in the previous (2007) version, so if they havent changed anything significantly, it still ought to be good. More importantly, if the 1% free space defrag works well, then it's a great improvement over other defraggers. For defraggging large files , you'll still need free disk space around twice the size of the largest fragmented file, I suppose, and not merely x% of free diskspace. Can anyone clarify this?

Posted

sounds good, but then again sounds like bloatware to me, recently got UltimateDefrag 1.69, which i have to say is lean and really good :)

Posted

[quote name='Radish

Posted

Ummmmmmmmmm.... Who/what are you replying to!?

I replied to the wrong topic. :blush: If you look back at my post, you will see that I corrected it. I caught it about a minute after I posted it.

Posted

Interesting! Thanks for the info. Off to download it now. Invisitasking worked really well in the previous (2007) version, so if they havent changed anything significantly, it still ought to be good.

huh? I thought InvisiTasking was the new feature of 2008. :s