Windows Live Messenger 8.5 Final Signin Problem

Question

I was originally on a beta version of WLM 8.5. However, I've just installed the final version (according to mess.be), and I'm getting this error message:

We were unable to sign you into Windows Live Messenger at this time. Please try again later.

Windows Live Messenger has made several failed attempts to sign you in. Your firewall may be blocking Windows Live Messenger from connecting to the service. Please review your firewall settings. See the retailer's instructions for more information.

Error code: 80072ee7

Thing though is, WLM was working fine before I updated to the final version.

Secondly, I don't have a firewall.

Thirdly, I've always had the 1863 port opened for WLM.

Can someone help me? I'm going insane.

Thanks in advance!

10 answers to this question

I've turned Windows Firewall off, but I've added it to the Exceptions list anyway.

I don't use a Proxy.

When I run the Connection Troubleshooter, it says that there are problems with DNS and Key Ports

Failed to connect to the service. This could be due to improper proxy or firewall settings. Please review your proxy and firewall settings. Proxy settings can be accessed through Windows Live Messenger Options. For Firewall settings, please see the retailer's instructions.

But I don't even have a firewall!! And I don't even use a proxy ...

Repair doesn't do anything. It just tells me that WLM has failed to sign in several times. Check my firewall.

I'm going to reboot my router now.

Note: Rebooting my router didn't fix it.

can you sign in here? http://webmessenger.msn.com/

Try this, in control panel, add or remove programs, add/remove windows components, networking services, details, tick internet gateway device discovery, and tick upnp user interface, click ok then next...

This might help automatically configure your router if it supports upnp (enable upnp in the router configuration if it's available).

Sorry, my bad, I just automatically assume people are still using Windows XP, like me...

I don't know where it is in Vista, but never mind, it may not have the same components as XP, and upnp may be enabled by default on Vista...

But try the web messenger for now just to see if that logs in...

In Vista, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features. Uninstall Windows Live Messenger completely. Then install the latest version of WLM and then try signing in.

I tried that quite a few times with no results.

I've even tried installing 8.5.1288 again ... but still got that error message.

I've done a system restore and went back to a system restore point made last night.

I'm back on the beta version of WLM and working fine again.

I ain't upgrading until there's a newer version of the so called "final version"