Can I hook up my PS3 to my computer monitor?

HDMI - to - DVI, and use the composite cables to run the audio to your PC.

edit never mind lol

make sure that the monitor has HDCP also

Yes it is it says it on the box DVI-D with HDCP.

I've done to to mine HDMI - DVI cable, got one off ebay for like $15 with shipping.

Monitor doesn't need HDCP to work but mine has it. I know many who used this method.

Also, for audio in PS3 setttings you can choose to output Video for HDMI only, and Audio thru Digital or RCA only (use ps3 video/audio wire). That's what I did as I don't got speakers with my LCD monitor ;)

I've done to to mine HDMI - DVI cable, got one off ebay for like $15 with shipping.

Monitor doesn't need HDCP to work but mine has it. I know many who used this method.

Also, for audio in PS3 setttings you can choose to output Video for HDMI only, and Audio thru Digital or RCA only.

That's what I did as I don't got speakers with my LCD monitor ;)

cool. Can you notice a difference compared it being hooked up to a SDTV? :blink:

So I need a HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI converter?

Yes it is it says it on the box DVI-D with HDCP.

Yes and if it says with HDCP your good to go. You'll have to use another output for Audio (obviously).

@thenay I'm almost positive you need DHCP I tried on two older monitors and it did not work.

Yes you will notice the difference right away (if your using 720p, 1080i or 1080p... 480p won't look much different then 480i)

Edit: the monitors max resolution is 1680x1050 it will display 720p fine so thats what you'll want to use. 720p is 16:9 aspect ratio but that monitor is 16:10 so you will have one of two things

a: really small black bars on the top and the bottom.

b: slightly stretched to fit the monitor.

Both do not look as bad as it sounds :p

Edited by cloudstrife13

Yes and if it says with HDCP your good to go. You'll have to use another output for Audio (obviously).

@thenay I'm almost positive you need DHCP I tried on two older monitors and it did not work.

Yes you will notice the difference right away (if your using 720p, 1080i or 1080p... 480p won't look much different then 480i)

Edit: the monitors max resolution is 1680x1050 it will display 720p fine so thats what you'll want to use. 720p is 16:9 aspect ratio but that monitor is 16:10 so you will have one of two things

a: really small black bars on the top and the bottom.

b: slightly stretched to fit the monitor.

Both do not look as bad as it sounds :p

Sweet :) Right now I have my PS3 hooked up to a Sanyo 27in. SDTV through component cables 480i.

I had my 360 hooked up to my monitor and I did not notice any of those things you listed when playing games on it. So I should be good to go. :)

Cant wait to try it out! :)

Not a huge importance. They are all going to do the same thing but some might shield against interference better then others but most of those ones will be more expensive.

Check out monoprice.com for your cabling needs. $40 seems awfully high.

I think we have the same monitor. I should try hooking mine up to it :)

I will check it out. I cant wait to play my PS3 games in HD :) This monitor is pretty cool I am happy with it :D

I also have this question, but say if you want to switch from PC to PS3 on the fly what do you do, flick a switch?

If the PC is hooked up via VGA, then all you'd need to do is change the source by simply pressing the "source" button, and you can switch from PS3/PC in a matter of seconds without having to unhook anything.

Tell us how it works out for you mate. I'm currently playing a 360 on my monitor, and it won't be long until I get a PS3 to try this out. :D

• 5 weeks later...

I just purchased an HDMI-DVI cable to hook up my PS3 to my LCD monitor, but what should I do about the sound? I have two speakers and a subwoofer and would like to figure out how to hook that up to the PS3.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

I just purchased an HDMI-DVI cable to hook up my PS3 to my LCD monitor, but what should I do about the sound? I have two speakers and a subwoofer and would like to figure out how to hook that up to the PS3.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Hook up a component or composite cable to the PS3 and tell it to output sound through that. Then you have red and white for sound, if your speakers have a jack you'll need to find an adapter.

I have been playing on my monitor now for a few weeks now and its AWESOME! :woot:

grats! i recently just bought a PS3 and a Westinghouse 24in lcd monitor with tons of inputs! my PS3 is hooked up to my monitor through HDMI and i'm using the composite cables for audio. as for my computer, i have it hooked up through VGA (as this monitor doesn't come with DVI, what a shame).

i just press a button to switch between PS3 and PC.

• 1 year later...