Announcing an Autopatcher Alternative

A new method for Windows XP has been devised, which allows you to carry with you, all the Windows XP security updates without bypassing WGA. The Method takes advantage of the automatic update feature already built into Windows Operating System. The Short explanation of the process, involves compressing the systemdistrubution folder from a machine which already obtained all the current updates. That compressed file is then stored on a cd or thumbstick. You then take that cd or thumbstick and use it to update fresh windows XP SP2 installs as you would have done with Autopatcher. Once extracted automatic update checks the internet for updates but notices they have already been downloaded. After just a few minutes of extraction all the updates are ready for install. The process only takes a fraction of the time autopatcher took, 7 – 10 minutes vs. 18 -40 minutes.

I’m Proud to announce an autopatcher replacement. The Process isn’t as automated as autopatcher, this is to say you can’t just download one big file and have all the updates. Though that same luxury is what got autopatcher spanked in the first place.

The new process will require you to create your own file, but once you do you can reuse the file on many newly installed XP machines.

This new process has to do with the windows softwaredistribution folder (C:\windows\softwaredistrubution). This is the location where windows stores the automatic updates before it installs them. This is what the process entails. First create a fresh install of XP (preferable in vmware) set automatic updates to “Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them”. Then wait until all 82 updates have been downloaded but do not install them. You then copy the contents of the softwaredistribution folder to a desired location and create a self extracting zip of the folder called “xpupdates.exe” that automatically extracts to c:\windows\softwaredistrubution. Once done you can use that self extracting exe on any fresh install XP machines requiring updates.

To read the rest of the process click the source link below

Source https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=595263

Edited by warwagon