Steam 2.0 Beta

hey guys,

yes yes, it's here...and neccesary to get CS 1.6 beta.

since 3PM PST, the Steam 2.0 Beta has been available for download from the Steam Powered Website.

i, myself, have downloaded and installed it, but am now having trouble logging on. :(

can you guys try it, and help me out?

same here... i read on the website that a high-speed connection is required to use Steam... i don't have one so i figured that's why i was having problems... do you guys have better than 56k?

from planethalf-life:

This just in from Valve's Doug Lombardi:

Steam Beta 2.0 Admission Suspended

The Counter-Strike and Team Fortress communities have maxed out the Steam 2.0 beta servers, resulting in the temporarily suspension of admission to the beta as more content servers are put online. The current Steam content servers offer over 500 megabits of bandwidth, all of which the community is consuming right now.

Anyone interested in hosting a Steam content server should email biz@steampowered.com. (Content server requirements can be found at www.steampowered.com.)

Those who have already joined the beta are encouraged to continue their participation and submit their feedback.

That's right, Steam got maxed out before the beta test even officially started!

Frankly, I think Valve made a huge mistake here: Steam obviously isn?t ready, so why use it to release a new version of possibly the most popular online PC game in the world? In my opinion, they should have released CS 1.6 as a downloadable patch - just like all the previous updates - and used Steam 2.0 to test changes to TFC.

Due to leaked Steam clients, Steam was already overloaded an hour before the offical release. Steam's main menu won't even load for me right now. Oh, by the way, even if you already have CS 1.5 you'll still have to download 409 MB of content(!!!). And if you?re a modem user, you?re basically completely out of luck, even when the Steam beta is officially released. Sorry. So what do you think?

Saw this on Planet Half-Life..

This just in from Valve's Doug Lombardi:

Steam Beta 2.0 Admission Suspended

The Counter-Strike and Team Fortress communities have maxed out the Steam 2.0 beta servers, resulting in the temporarily suspension of admission to the beta as more content servers are put online. The current Steam content servers offer over 500 megabits of bandwidth, all of which the community is consuming right now.

Anyone interested in hosting a Steam content server should email biz@steampowered.com. (Content server requirements can be found at www.steampowered.com.)

Those who have already joined the beta are encouraged to continue their participation and submit their feedback.

That's right, Steam got maxed out before the beta test even officially started!

Frankly, I think Valve made a huge mistake here: Steam obviously isn?t ready, so why use it to release a new version of possibly the most popular online PC game in the world? In my opinion, they should have released CS 1.6 as a downloadable patch - just like all the previous updates - and used Steam 2.0 to test changes to TFC.

Due to leaked Steam clients, Steam was already overloaded an hour before the offical release. Steam's main menu won't even load for me right now. Oh, by the way, even if you already have CS 1.5 you'll still have to download 409 MB of content(!!!). And if you?re a modem user, you?re basically completely out of luck, even when the Steam beta is officially released.

I can't believe they thought 500MBits of bandwidth would be enough for thousands of CS fan to download 400MB at once..

what do i think? i'm frickin ****ed off :angry: and i think they're pretty stupid for releasin it through steam. that's what i think

the beta is now suspended untill they get more servers. and the damn thing screwed up my 1.5. every map i try and play now but dust it tries to download like i don't have it. i've tired uninstalling steam and counter strike, taking all the entries in the registry out, and re-installing but still that same problem. damn u valve!! :angry:

well.. i'm now downloading cs 1.6 at a slow speed i guess.. will wait till it's finish before i comment.. now i see 20 odds 1.6 servers on the servers list..

eh alvin?

are you joking?

I hope it totally flops this is murder for people with dumb cable isps with DUMB quotas, they may be few but if your affected you'll be ****ed off big time. When I'm capped I'm down to 7.5k and it's not even a steady 7.5k! It's like up and down to 7.5k to 6k. When you phone the company its funny to when you mention capped they'll say something like "we like to use something with a more posivite word. Blah!

Yeah, I'm on the beta too. Just starting to attempt to play TFC. It's going at an ungodly slow speed though, so don't expect much...

yeah, i got CS1.6 to work, finally...

but i can't connect to any online servers.

i'll guess i'll just be playing on my own for now. :D

Got 1.6 started up. I'm even connected to a sever. Had to use the Steam > Servers menu to get on, that's all. There's like 30 people playing. What a ghost town!

okay. to any server i try to connect work...

it'll give me the 'validating servers' etc crap, then say "You have been disconnected from the server"

how can i get connected? is it cause i'm behind a firewall? i set my desktop as the DMZ host if that helps...

ahhh, so frustrated... :crazy:

okay. to any server i try to connect work...

it'll give me the 'validating servers' etc crap, then say "You have been disconnected from the server"

how can i get connected? is it cause i'm behind a firewall? i set my desktop as the DMZ host if that helps...

ahhh, so frustrated... :crazy:

mine says that too, i think everybody's does, if ya wanna try out the new stuff, just start a LAN game

mine says that too, i think everybody's does, if ya wanna try out the new stuff, just start a LAN game

yeah, i did try it out already. but timdorr apparently can connect.

ARGH!!!

and there's other people playing in those servers...they're all getting full now :(

i managed to make my own server, but i also cant connect to others. i even had someone join mine.... but then the person quit after i killed them once...

Edited by cowwithoutbrain