Live messenger 9 Beta invite

• 1 month later...

Several things to note, without revealing too much:

1. There is an internal MS WLM9 dogfood. Currently no-one outside Microsoft has access to any part of WLM9.

2. The Connect page for WLM8.1 is currently blank and makes no reference to WLM9.

3. The WLM9 team will try to ship a version that includes an API that allows cross-protocol communication, e.g. with AIM/Google Talk and ICQ. Currently, the Google Talk part is working.

4. The late 08/early 09 date is the (correct) projected shipping target.

http://www.clubic.com/actualite-84576-info...-messenger.html (French site news of today)

It says Beta1 of WLM9 is due for March 2008 and the final in late 2008.

WLM9 will have an API for third-party addons.

They says also that MS is working on a way to make WLM users to be able to talk to AIM/Gtalk or ICQ.

There a new Version for Mac Coming as well of the X360 upgrade.

Putting WLM9 off for now, can you get WLM8.5 without having to get the rest of the apps in the Live set? Or will you have to d/l them all and then just pick to install WLM and not the rest.

its not messenger 9 i am wanting i am still waiting around for the yahoo messenger vista to be released... if it is ever going to be released

Putting WLM9 off for now, can you get WLM8.5 without having to get the rest of the apps in the Live set? Or will you have to d/l them all and then just pick to install WLM and not the rest.

The Live installer lets you pick what you want to download and install, it does not require you to download each application if you aren't going to install it.

Several things to note, without revealing too much:

1. There is an internal MS WLM9 dogfood. Currently no-one outside Microsoft has access to any part of WLM9.

2. The Connect page for WLM8.1 is currently blank and makes no reference to WLM9.

3. The WLM9 team will try to ship a version that includes an API that allows cross-protocol communication, e.g. with AIM/Google Talk and ICQ. Currently, the Google Talk part is working.

4. The late 08/early 09 date is the (correct) projected shipping target.

3 is not quite true. The WLM team is playing around with cross-protocol communication, it has absolutely nothing to do with the API. Also they may not even put cross-protocol communication in WLM9/10, and it could be an internal-only thing just to see if it can be done.

^ Why would you post a link to a french news site when our own front page covers this story? ;)

https://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/11/02/w...2008-early-2009

Not to mention that Neowin was the original site to begin with :p

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=597577

WLM 9 is in very VERY early PRE-ALPHA releases inside MS Headquarters in Redmond

I personally saw an internal build of WLM 9, and to be honest it didn't look any different from the current WLM 8.5. Although, it was a very early internal build, and things can change before it is released next year.

I just want to know when messenger will get default transparency settings, geez.

but make it an option for those who dont like all glass ;)

I do but i also like color...

Ow... guess there won't be any leak yet lol (or if there is, may not even be worth it)

nope and it will never be leaked. the testers are only alowed to work on it in the labs. if it gets leaked the last person to be working on it will be fired or something... - in trpouble

I personally saw an internal build of WLM 9, and to be honest it didn't look any different from the current WLM 8.5. Although, it was a very early internal build, and things can change before it is released next year.

well no duh, its an alpha!

hmmm I hope they do something with windows live messenger 10. when that launches, it should be around the time the first verson msn messenger launched 10 years earler so the 10th verson may be a unique verson as it being the 10th anversey deal.

• 2 weeks later...