Windows Live Mail - password protect the program

Jordanspringer has a point, Windows Live Mail has always had this problem even when it was called Windows Live Desktop't and it's never changed, it's obvious Microsoft aren't worried about security of their programs.

I have 2 email accounts added to Windows Live Mail and sometimes i click cancel at the login box by mistake, it downloads emails/junk emails from non contacts into my primary account and all emails from my secondary account and my contacts are fully accessable by anyone, it's really bad.

Why should everyone who uses Windows Live Mail lock their desktops, i did have the application on my primary PC that i use to watch Media Centre recordings that i cannot lock as it's the only TV output in my home so i had to remove it for security reasons. If Microsoft had fixed the issue then it would be a problem.

It's obvious when people on this post rant on about this issue, they don't take their security seriously which is a concern, jordanspringer has raised an important subject regarding a security issue in a very well used application and yet no one listens, well maybe you will once you emails are read without ur knowledge, then you can complain to Micorosoft about it.

Are you talking about the password used to log into the mail server, that won't stop it form downloading mail to the other account and displaying the already downloaded mail.

OE,WM and WLM are personal mail apps, not corporate, they're not meant to protect your mail. the protection of your account is the log in you use for windows.

Im having the same problem, and i suppose everyone else is too.

I have read and windows say that for better secrurity you just have to put a password on your windows user account.

Still i don't think this is better secrurity, i think it's less! In the end i uninstalled it!

His first and only post :p

Are you talking about the password used to log into the mail server, that won't stop it form downloading mail to the other account and displaying the already downloaded mail.

OE,WM and WLM are personal mail apps, not corporate, they're not meant to protect your mail. the protection of your account is the log in you use for windows.

No, were talking about the mail server, we're talking abou the main password prompt window and how if the Cancel button is clicked the client still downloads emails from the corresponding mail servers and allows access to emails already stored in the client.

Windows Live Mail should not allow this action to happen, if the Cancel Button is clicked the no old/new emails should be visible in the client, they should only be visible when the client is properly logged into.

OE,WM and WLM are ment to protect your emails, saying they are not is like saying Windows Live Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail etc are not ment to protect your emails unless you have corporate email accounts you screwed, well thats just daft

• 5 months later...

Sheesh I just realised about this problem yesterday and I feel F****d now. My boss used my laptop few days ago and I had so many new job applications in WLM which I thought I had passworded.

Now Microsoft defenders will still defend this situation for Microsoft ?

Sh*i !!!! :(

There is no excuse for this poor security ! Best part is, if I put in wrong password, it fails to open, but if i click cancel, it displays my emails to the entire world. What stupid logic is this ?