Photo

Walmart carries Venturer HD DVD player afterall

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2007 - 21:48

Sure seems like it. So much for no Venturer at Walmarts LOL..

http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=7942216

So now we have these at $199 (possibly $149, pretty soon) as well. Great stuff.

#2 thollian

thollian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2007 - 21:53

cool!

#3 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 28 November 2007 - 21:55

I would rather get the toshiba $199 hd-dvdd player at bestbuy then this one at Walmart.

#4 Dogan

Dogan

иєσωin єℓιтє.

Posted 28 November 2007 - 22:00

<snipped>

Edit: nevermind. The page looked strange on Opera.

#5 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2007 - 22:01

I would rather get the toshiba $199 hd-dvdd player at bestbuy then this one at Walmart.

Well the bottom line is that $199 for Venturer would be like MSRP at this moment.. I expect their everyday price to be more like $149.

not so much to hurray for :sleep:

I'm not sure what you are trying to point out.. players are quite obviuosly in-stock and available.

#6 Dogan

Dogan

иєσωin єℓιтє.

Posted 28 November 2007 - 22:04

I'm not sure what you are trying to point out.. players are quite obviuosly in-stock and available.

Yeah. Read above post.

I hope this leads to more price wars = good for us consumers.

#7 bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2007 - 22:22

Are there drawbacks from these cheap players? Like it dying in a couple of months?

#8 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2007 - 22:43

Are there drawbacks from these cheap players? Like it dying in a couple of months?

Well it is definitely based off of Toshiba.. which is a good thing.. I'm pretty sure that the parts are manufactured at the same places as any other electronics.. and even with this Venturer you still get EVERYTHING HD DVD has mandatory.. meaning TrueHD, DD+ 1.5, online connectivity, full HDi support for interactivity and persistent storage.

I'm thinking of picking this one up for one of my bedrooms.

#9 TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver

Jolly Roger

Posted 29 November 2007 - 00:30

Well it is definitely based off of Toshiba.. which is a good thing.. I'm pretty sure that the parts are manufactured at the same places as any other electronics.. and even with this Venturer you still get EVERYTHING HD DVD has mandatory.. meaning TrueHD, DD+ 1.5, online connectivity, full HDi support for interactivity and persistent storage.

I'm thinking of picking this one up for one of my bedrooms.

Still doesn't mean the hardware build and/or components are up to a higher quality. Five factories can all use the same components, but which one cuts corners to produce more at a cheaper rate? The same one(s) that will be pushing your $100 players to follow suit with Toshiba.

The question that LyhT posted above raises an eyebrow. Yeah, they're cheap... but are these going to have issues six months? Just a thought.

#10 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2007 - 00:47

Still doesn't mean the hardware build and/or components are up to a higher quality. Five factories can all use the same components, but which one cuts corners to produce more at a cheaper rate? The same one(s) that will be pushing your $100 players to follow suit with Toshiba.

The question that LyhT posted above raises an eyebrow. Yeah, they're cheap... but are these going to have issues six months? Just a thought.

Trust me.. other CE brands are using the same electronics.. it's no different.. the only real difference is that most upper level brand electronics have or SHOULD have higher quality control. They are manufactured at same places.

This of course does not change the fact that for $100-$150 a person will be able to enjoy next-gen hi-def movies with interactivity and online features with no sacrifices at all.

It's not like these players will go bad as soon as you take them home, it's a bit silly to even talk about this. You have chinese DVD players now that work just fine. Hell even Pioneer one that I have in one of my bedrooms now is most likely cheap ass chinese player with pioneer sticker on it. And get this, it was $50 a few years ago and it's still working fine.

#11 goji

goji

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:37

Don't all cheap electronics have that problem? :p You generally get what you pay for. The company naturally looks out for its bottom line so basic functions will exist. Beyond that don't be surprised if a mysterious meltdown occurs or your discs magically disappear once you put them in.

#12 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2007 - 15:43

I've seen a couple at my local Walmart. They look like Toshiba A-2 in a little less stylish casing. $199 CAN with 2 included movies (not the same as Toshiba offers).

They don't look cheap at all. A copy of the A-2.

#13 Matt

Matt

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:17

exactly. they are both 720p.

#14 G_0

G_0

Neowinian

Posted 03 December 2007 - 16:29

was at Walmart up here in canada just quick on the weekend. They were playing transformers in HD on the venturer player. In the 4 minutes I stopped to compare to my tv I saw 4 people buy the player.

4 people in 4 minutes. That is more people then I know with a BD player, and I know a few.

#15 Joel

Joel

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2007 - 20:29

I've seen a couple at my local Walmart. They look like Toshiba A-2 in a little less stylish casing. $199 CAN with 2 included movies (not the same as Toshiba offers).

They don't look cheap at all. A copy of the A-2.

It is. They even take the same firmware updates.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!