Windows Vista Update Error Code 80004002

I have Windows Vista Home Premium (OEM from Dell) and I was recently unable to update Windows using the Windows Update tool.

Attached is a screenshot of the error.

I have tried turning on/off UAC.

Tried restoring to earlier System Restore points.

Tried the KB solution for a similar problem for Windows XP machines. Didn't seem to find one for a Windows Vista machine.

And I've tried searching for other solutions but haven't found a fix yet. Anyone have any idea what is wrong or what I need to fix?

There were no major hardware or software upgrades/additions/removals before this started happening, so I don't think it's a conflict issue. Not sure how to remedy this.

Any and all help appreciated, thanks!

post-72369-1196623518_thumb.jpg

Even i have the EXACT error message for a single patch alone(KB938979).. All other patches installs fine..!..i digged into lot of forums & support..none helped me...but it isnt causing any issue for my system!...(I'm using Retail Vista home premium)

This may not work but its worth a try. Disable/stop then enable/start the Windows Update service in services.msc

try this from the command prompt, "fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\" it's what I found on google and used to fix the 8007000B Error on windows update i got recently, give it a go and reboot.

This may not work but its worth a try. Disable/stop then enable/start the Windows Update service in services.msc

Tried that, no luck. ;)

try this from the command prompt, "fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\" it's what I found on google and used to fix the 8007000B Error on windows update i got recently, give it a go and reboot.

What does that do exactly?

EDIT: Tried it, didn't work.

:cry:

Edited by magik

Just got this e-mail today:

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

Your request has been processed. A Support Professional will contact you via e-mail within 24 hours to assist with troubleshooting your issue.

So I guess I'll have some answers in a couple days for those with the same problem.

i looked around on the net and found a couple of "solutions"

first:

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below:

1. Click on 'Start', choose 'Run'. In the open box, type cmd, and then click

'OK'.

2. Type the following commands. Press 'ENTER' after each command:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wups2.dll

regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Try Updating Windows.

second would be to download and run this to try to fix your BITS

Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately, I have tried those resources and everything you guys have posted but still no luck. This is so frustrating!

Someone at Microsoft finally got back to me and recommended that a try a 'Startup Repair' but that didn't work since Windows didn't detect anything wrong. I sent him my WindowsUpdate.log file for him to analyze so I'm waiting on a reply from that.

In the mean time, I think I might just try and install Windows Vista SP1 Beta. I understand it's beta and it might even exacerbate the situation, but I really rather try that than re-install the whole system. So if anyone can tell me where I can download a copy that'd be great.

Thanks again guys.

In the mean time, I think I might just try and install Windows Vista SP1 Beta. I understand it's beta and it might even exacerbate the situation, but I really rather try that than re-install the whole system. So if anyone can tell me where I can download a copy that'd be great.

Wait till next week and you can download Release Candidate:

Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate (RC) Public.

Wait till next week and you can download Release Candidate:

Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate (RC) Public.

Thankyou Wilhelmus, I didn't know it was next week, my fault for not reading my feeds! Looking forward to it as I have the exact same problem and mine is Vista home basic :blink:

I handled mine differently, I stuck it in my laptop bag and have only used my XP, I just cannot summon up the mental strength to cope with it yet, pathetic I know. This has spurred me on to have another go at the updates

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately, I have tried those resources and everything you guys have posted but still no luck. This is so frustrating!

Someone at Microsoft finally got back to me and recommended that a try a 'Startup Repair' but that didn't work since Windows didn't detect anything wrong. I sent him my WindowsUpdate.log file for him to analyze so I'm waiting on a reply from that.

Thanks again guys.

Hey magik- I am having the same problem you are. I have vista enterprise. I've tried just about everything in the forums i've found throughout the internet with no luck. Will be interesting to see what microsoft says. let us know what they say about your logs. thanks!

to all guys here: you should stop using the registry cleaners!!!!!

0x80040002 is a standard COM error meaning E_NOINTERFACE; that is, some COM, DLL on your system is not correctly registered, hence the Windows Update process cannot find the Interfaces this DLL exports.

Registry cleaners are useless and destroy Windows OS's components.

I'm using Vista since 1 year, I never had an error with Windows Update.

Edited by franzon

• 5 months later...
i looked around on the net and found a couple of "solutions"

first:

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below:

1. Click on 'Start', choose 'Run'. In the open box, type cmd, and then click

'OK'.

2. Type the following commands. Press 'ENTER' after each command:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wups2.dll

regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Try Updating Windows.

second would be to download and run this to try to fix your BITS

Hey! that works for me on windows xp sp3. Thanks you very much

Just an update for this thread.

E-Mail message from Microsoft Support. This resolved the issue:

Thank for the reply and for sending me the update log.

From the reply, I understand that performing the Startup repair, but Windows could not detect any errors. Trying to restoring to the earliest System Restore point, but the issue persists. If I have any misunderstand, please let me know.

According the update log, I infer that the Windows Update component was corrupt. in order to resolve the problem more efficiently , I recommend we perform an in-place upgrade to repair.

The action will not affect any installed programs or existed data on the computer. Therefore, we do not need to backup data and then transfer them back after the reinstallation.

In-Place upgrade

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the anytime Upgrade DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

? If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

? If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When reaching ?Get the important updates for installation ? screen, please select ?Do not get the latest update for installation?.

5. Select the Windows Vista version that you purchased.

6. When reaching the ?Which type of installation to you want?? screen, click ?Upgrade? to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Thank you for your patience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

So try that if you're still having this is(Y).:Dood luck! (Y) :D

to all guys here: you should stop using the registry cleaners!!!!!

0x80040002 is a standard COM error meaning E_NOINTERFACE; that is, some COM, DLL on your system is not correctly registered, hence the Windows Update process cannot find the Interfaces this DLL exports.

Registry cleaners are useless and destroy Windows OS's components.

I'm using Vista since 1 year, I never had an error with Windows Update.

This is a late post, but this is true.

I used CCleaner once and when I rebooted, the MS Office Start Menu shortcuts were not working, and many updates including x64 SP1 could not be installed.

I then had to reformat my computer.