This science section needs cleaning up

From what I've seen in this section, it's nigh-impossible to debate scientific issues without each thread turning into evolution vs creationism. I suggest a "Creation vs Evolution", or "Science: the philosophical issues" thread or section be officially created, and that from then on the Science section be dedicated to, well, science.

Anyone agrees?

A "Creation vs Evolution" thread would not work because most of the debates arise out of topics that start on entirely different subjects.
But then they could be redirected to the proper section by the moderators. And after a while people would get used to it and maybe we could have some real science discussion going on here.
If you have a moderation inquiry or suggestion, use the PM system. Moderation is not something that members discuss or vote on.
I know, this is a suggestion about the forum layout rather than moderation. I guess (hope) that is tolerated?

The science section needs to be fore Science, threads that get derailed into non-scientific topics should be split and the non-scientific portion moved to RWI, or whatever forum is appropriate.

Slimy, this topic has little to do with forum moderation. This topic is mainly aimed at administrators have the ability to alter the forum structure, which is something moderators don't have the power to do.

I think there should be two forums for science, one for news and discussion related to the news posted and the other forum for general debate about science-related matters. With nearly every news entry posted here turning into a Creationism versus Evolution debate I find myself often wondering whether I should even bother entering the forum at all. Splitting the science forum into two forums would increase the quality of this section of Neowin a great deal.

Slimy, this topic has little to do with forum moderation. This topic is mainly aimed at administrators have the ability to alter the forum structure, which is something moderators don't have the power to do.

Then it should be in S&FI :p

This section needs less attacks.

Respect others point of view, instead of trying to 'force' others to yours.

And "Creation vs. Evolution" is a pointless argument anyway.

There's no absolute proof, one way or another, and it has no real affect on everyday life. ;)

if i have to read a comment like...

And "Creation vs. Evolution" is a pointless argument anyway.

There's no absolute proof, one way or another, and it has no real affect on everyday life.

... one more time, one of my testicles is going to explode.

if i have to read a comment like...

... one more time, one of my testicles is going to explode.

You forgot to quote this part

This section needs less attacks.

Respect others point of view, instead of trying to 'force' others to yours.

huh? it's my point of view that the exact opposite of what he said is true. why can't he respect that? blah blah blah.

there is nothing forceful about a rational argument, and such arguments have been given countless times. so now i'm going just going to proceed with testicle popping.

There's no absolute proof, one way or another, and it has no real affect on everyday life. ;)

Evolution has been proven, countless times.

Take nylon digesting bacteria. Nylon is man-made. It doesn't exist naturally, so how come a bacteria exists that is the same, genetically, as a non nylon digesting bacteria except for a block shift of its genes which makes it capable of digesting only nylon?

What astounds me is people's refusal to look at evidence. It's utterly, utterly astounding.

Part of the problem is that we have certain members (one in particular springs immediately to mind) who make it a point to start flamewars in science-related topics by preaching monotheism where it doesn't belong. I've responded scathingly before (and, perhaps duly, caught flack for it), but I (like most) don't start the flamewars. I can stop responding if that would be best. Perhaps attention-starving those creationists who actively seek to derail threads would be the best course of action.

Just please understand that I'm not talking about all creationists and religious folk here. I may personally think little of those points of view, but if they're able to function in this forum like any other member, then as far as I'm concerned there is no problem. I'm only talking about the ones who derail scientific discussions by throwing in the entirely (to the thread) inappropriate topic of C vs E and ruining the discourse.

let's keep this thread from turning into a creationism vs. evolution debate.

first of all, a creationism vs. evolution thread belongs in rwi. indeed, there are several such threads. my suggestion is to keep the discussion contained in rwi.

this forum should be restricted to science and mathematics. you can post news, interesting articles, research papers, etc.

See, when I said that each and every thread in this section turns into evolution vs creation? Even this thread almost did!!! :laugh:

What I think is that creation vs evolution should have its own official thread, or even maybe section, because otherwise it tends to take all the space it can and there's no way for the moderators to do anything about it.

let's keep this thread from turning into a creationism vs. evolution debate.

first of all, a creationism vs. evolution thread belongs in rwi. indeed, there are several such threads. my suggestion is to keep the discussion contained in rwi.

this forum should be restricted to science and mathematics. you can post news, interesting articles, research papers, etc.

Agreed.

If a thread has become too polarized then it should be moved to RWI.

What I think is that creation vs evolution should have its own official thread, or even maybe section, because otherwise it tends to take all the space it can and there's no way for the moderators to do anything about it.

Real World Issues

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=58

Ok, if it's Real World Issue, so be it. But then such a rule needs to be enforced more clearly than it has been until now, since we obviously have a problem with all those debates on this Science section.

Ok, if it's Real World Issue, so be it. But then such a rule needs to be enforced more clearly than it has been until now, since we obviously have a problem with all those debates on this Science section.

If you see a thread that has become drastically polarized with no chance of returning to its scientific roots then report the thread and request that it be moved to RWI.

Since I think this is about all there is to say on the matter, I will close this thread.

If you have further questions about moderation, I suggest you PM a staffer.

[Thread Closed]