Kid Gets Detention for Using FireFox

Question

Wow, what an idiot. Somebody from a high school tech department doesn't even know about alternative browsers? Sorry, but that's just poor.

School got rules, kid didn't follow rules, kid gets detention...

Why is there a news story ?

and as for the foxfire.exe thing, the kid may have renamed firefox.exe to foxfire.exe to be able to run it as the computer may run blocks on running certain files, it's not exactly unheard of. especially in a school enviroment where they probably run IE set up with all kinds of security policies. Seeing as it was specifically mentioned as foxfire.exe and not just foxfire.

even if it is real, if the school has a policy that only programs they installed should be used by students (as they should have) the kid broke that rule, ergo detention. Nothing news worthy in either case

Hmm...i work in a very big IT company....and we arent allowed to use Firefox. And even if we install it, firefall doesnt allow the program to open any websites :-)

note :we use with ie7....when we asked for the reason, we got reply back saying that most of our company apps are build upon IE schema...& its a trusted product from microsoft & if at all we face some issues, tech consulting team from MS will fix it within 3 hrs!! & other browser organizations doesnt due that...maybe once firefox starts quick supports & fixes, our company may allow it in future...but i think thats gonna never happen :-)

even if it is real, if the school has a policy that only programs they installed should be used by students (as they should have) the kid broke that rule, ergo detention. Nothing news worthy in either case

(Y)

doesnt make a diff wheather it was firefox, foxfire or another program :p

Not his computer so he had no right to install it or run it (USB drive) on the school's computers if they didnt want him to do so, better browser or not.

Where does it say she is in the technology department? or the person is a she?

Not his computer so he had no right to install it or run it (USB drive) on the school's computers if they didnt want him to do so, better browser or not.

Where does it say she is in the technology department? or the person is a she?

Same with out school PCs, but I have firefox installed on my USB drive. They have IE6 and don't have any plug-ins installed besides flash, which makes browsing and researching using any multimedia a pain in the ass since they never update anything.

They know and probably do use Firefox. It is just that any software that goes on the computer have to go through local testing and trust usage programs to ensure they work, also they have to be approved by the authories that run the network (including the principal and the school's board people). It is not a matter of simply installing them across the network. Computers are the school's assets and they need to ensure that the network are running at the highest quality so everyone have a fair go. Yes, I know Firefox (in fact I am using it on my home computer) is very good. If you want a specific program to be installed, go see the network admin and he will go thru the required steps to get them approved.

Not browser related but one of my friends booted one of the school computer from his USB which had Linux on it, it let him access all the files on the network of the system, so he could see the name and address of every pupil etc.. This is probably just the bad security at my school, but i can see why schools might take something like this seriously :) It was funny though...

They know and probably do use Firefox. It is just that any software that goes on the computer have to go through local testing and trust usage programs to ensure they work, also they have to be approved by the authories that run the network (including the principal and the school's board people). It is not a matter of simply installing them across the network. Computers are the school's assets and they need to ensure that the network are running at the highest quality so everyone have a fair go. Yes, I know Firefox (in fact I am using it on my home computer) is very good. If you want a specific program to be installed, go see the network admin and he will go thru the required steps to get them approved.

Also unless things have changed recently. IE offers a lot more power in how it can be controlled and restricted through policies, wich is important in a corporate enviroment and even more so in a school.

lol.

Have used firefox loads on school PC's. Well, till my USB pen drive broke anyway. Let's me get access to banned sites (which include the oxford uni website among others) and is much faster loading than IE on the school network (for whatever reason).

I guess the topic wouldn't be very interesting if the title were "Kid Gets Detention for Not Following Rules" :/

Outrageous!

Same with out school PCs, but I have firefox installed on my USB drive.

Same, though our school computers can't give it internet access (some kind of Microsoft protection said our old Linux-using ICT teacher...yeah, he was great :p)

Outrageous!

Same, though our school computers can't give it internet access (some kind of Microsoft protection said our old Linux-using ICT teacher...yeah, he was great :p)

Outrageous that it was faked? :blink: Does no one read the thread anymore before posting in it?