what version of linux for a server?

okay, I'm looking at setting up a dedicated linux server to replace my windows 2000 server. which version should I go with I want to be able to easily share files run a mail server and web server watch and record tv programs. burn cd's watch dvd's. yes, this is on my server I'll have over 768 megs of ram and over 100 gigs of hard driver space. it will run on my p3 800.

Sorry, Linux isn't even same as Windows... Windows already have stuff included, but not Linux.. Linux is just a kernel.. So, as for web server would be download/install Apache.. DNS would be BIND, djbdns, or else.. Email would be Exim, Sendmail, qmail, Postfix or else.. You will have to search, try everyone which one is better for you and learn a lot of stuff about them. It's not that simple, you will have to learn by RTFM.

sounds like win2k servers gonna be cheaper in the long run for me. since I already own it.

The cost is not in the Linux distro, or the programs which are all pretty much free, but rather in the time an effort in learning Linux, which is a lot different than Windows. Overall, a linux based system is probably a much better deticated server than a Windows one, but it sounds like you're using it for more than that. So, maybe you would be better off with Windows.

Normally, I would say just go to *nix. But in this case, since you already have the Windows license, stick with the 2000 server. The time and detication to learn a new OS isn't worth it unless you plan on making a career out of servers/networking. If you do decide to go with a *nix server, I find Open BSD to be the most secure. As for easy of use/install, go Red Hat. oBSD will be worth it IF you go *nix, but I say stick with the Windows 2000 since you DID pay for the license.

okay, I'm looking at setting up a dedicated linux server to replace my windows 2000 server. which version should I go with I want to be able to easily share files run a mail server and web server watch and record tv programs. burn cd's watch dvd's

That *really* doesnt sound like a dedicated server to me :unsure:

I'm quite interested to know what distro linux ppl would recommend for a home net gateway as well, it relates closely to my final yr degree project, from a security / automation aspect specifically (ie:fancy gui irrelevent as webbased config will be involved)

If you have any patience you can install gentoo. I'm pretty sure all of those are in the emerge tree. Other than that, gentoo kernel has some 2.6 features as well as security features. You can save resources by not installing a gui. It would really provide a high performance server.

Another option would be OpenBSD. That thing is secure as a rock. In fact the only worm/virus for it, was an apache problem. FreeBSD is another good option.

Redhat is easy to install but i find it unbearably slow. It's really an i386 distro. Even mandrake is an i586 one.

Debian is a really secure/stable linux distro, but its old like a dinosaur.