The Hobbit

man.. that video just made it worse knowing that we wont see the film til 2013 (i think 2012 is just too optimistic). from the sound of jackson this is the first of many video blogs that he is going to have during the filming.. just that opening line from bilbo got me excited for this movie again

• 2 weeks later...
Here?s minor but quite welcome news on The Hobbit. Director Peter Jackson has confirmed that Ian Holm will reprise the role of Bilbo Baggins in the films that have begun production in New Zealand. We don?t know how much we?ll see of the older version of Bilbo, as played by the actor in the Lord of the Rings films, but the following statement posted to Facebook confirms that we will see him:
One comment that came up from the recent video blog was the Bilbo voice at the end?many of you assumed it was Sir Ian Holm. Whilst Ian will be returning as the older Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, that recording was actually Martin Freeman?s voice, taken from a script read through we recorded when the cast first arrived. I have to admit, I wasn?t sure who it was when I first heard it, either. Cheers, Peter J

http://www.slashfilm.com/ian-holm-the-hobbit/

lZ41z.jpg

Former EastEnders star Rob Kazinsky has quit his role in The Hobbit, it has been confirmed.

The actor had been cast as Fili in the films, which started production in New Zealand last month.

However, director Peter Jackson confirmed on Facebook that Kazinsky has left the J.R.R. Tolkien adaption due to "personal reasons". His role will be recast.

"I am sad to report that Rob Kazinsky, who was cast in the role of Fili, is having to leave The Hobbit and return home, for personal reasons," Jackson said. "Rob has been terrific to work with and his enthusiasm and infectious sense of humour will be missed by all of us.

"I should say that Rob's departure will not affect ongoing filming of The Hobbit, nor will it impact work done to date, as we had yet to film much of Fili's storyline.

"At the moment we are shooting scenes featuring Bilbo without the Dwarves, which will give us time to find a new Fili. I'll keep everyone posted with updates as they come."

Jackson recently confirmed that Sir Ian Holm would be returning as Bilbo Baggins.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a316162/rob-kazinsky-quits-the-hobbit.html

According to Peter Jackson?s Facebook page the roles of Fili and Thrandiul have been filled in The Hobbit. Dean O?Gorman will play the dwarf Fili, and Lee Pace will play Thranduil, the Elven king.

This announcement comes only a week after news broke that Rob Kazinsky, the actor originally cast as Fili, was dropping out of the film for personal reasons.

Kazinsky?s replacement, Dean O?Gorman, has most recently been seen in The Almighty Johnsons, a New Zealand comedy-drama. Lee Pace is probably best known for The Fall and his role on TV?s Pushing Daisies. He will also be seen in The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, which consequently kills my dream that there would never be a crossover between Tolkien and sparkling vampires.

http://filmonic.com/dean-ogorman-and-lee-pace-join-the-hobbit?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Filmonic+%28Filmonic%29&utm_content=FaceBook

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Generally speaking, I think 3D needs to **** off and die as soon as possible - it's a bloody awful development in film, and needs to stop. HOWEVER - I'm gonna give this the benefit of the doubt, mostly as Jacksons' filming @ 48FPS, using those new, super sweet Red Cameras.

According to Jackson British actor, writer, journalist, comedian, and Twitterist Stephen Fry will be playing The Master of Laketown who is described as ?being greedy, but not undeserving of his position in terms of intelligence and charisma.?

You can read Jackson?s full update below:

Some more Hobbit casting news today. As we near the end of our first shooting block (we have a break in less than three weeks to get some editing and visual effects work done, plus prepare for very big scenes coming up), we are looking at characters featuring in sequences that take place a little later in the story.

We are thrilled to confirm that Stephen Fry will be playing The Master of Laketown. I?ve known Stephen for several years, and we?re developing a Dambusters movie together. In addition to his writing skills, he?s a terrific actor and will create a very memorable ?Master? for us.

The Master?s conniving civil servant, Alfrid will be played by Ryan Gage. Ryan is a great young actor who we originally cast in a small hobbit role, but we liked him so much, we promoted him to the much larger Alfrid part.

Last, and certainly not least, is Conan Stevens, who will be playing an Orc called Azog (orcs are never called Roger or Dennis for some strange reason). And yes that?s his name ? Conan! Isn?t that cool? Azog is played by Conan! Here?s a photo of Conan and I together ? I?m pretty tall ? probably at least 6?5? or 6?6? I would guess, so that gives you some clue how tall Conan is! You can learn all about him at www.conanstevens.com.

Got a busy day?s shooting ahead, so I?m about to jump in the car ? but look out for the beginning of the 20 questions answers very soon. Thanks for the questions ? many are very insightful. I?ve been through all of them and have a list ready to go.

Cheers,

Peter J

http://filmonic.com/stephen-fry-joins-the-hobbit

3kneT.jpg

Martin Freeman has accidentally revealed that his Sherlock co-star Benedict Cumberbatch has landed a role in The Hobbit.

The actor made the revelation at the 2011 BAFTA Awards after the pair picked up the 'Best Drama' award for the BBC One detective series.

Speaking in the winners' press room, Freeman let slip to reporters that Cumberbatch would be working with him again very soon in Peter Jackson's Tolkien adaptation.

Cumberbatch added afterwards that his casting was supposed to have been kept secret and refused to disclose details about his character.

Freeman later went on to comment: "I knew I was a big mouth, I didn't know how much of a big mouth, and I've ruined everything. And now I might not have a job to go back to!"

Cumberbatch joins a cast which now includes Stephen Fry, Aidan Turner, Hugo Weaving and Sir Ian McKellen.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a320903/benedict-cumberbatch-joins-the-hobbit.html

Peter Jackson just confirmed on Facebook that Orlando Bloom will return as Legolas in The Hobbit films! This is what the filmmaker said:
Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas. I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I?m thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older?and he doesn?t! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf.

Read more: Orlando Bloom Confirmed for The Hobbit - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78145#ixzz1NZTv2rMo

New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM have announced the titles and release dates for filmmaker Peter Jackson's two-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's enduringly popular masterpiece "The Hobbit." The first film, titled The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, will be released on December 14, 2012. The second film, titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013.

Both films are set in Middle-earth 60 years before Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings," which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar?-winning The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. The adventure of "The Hobbit" follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug.

Under Jackson's direction, both movies are being shot consecutively in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology. Filming is taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, the character he played in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, and Martin Freeman, who just won a BAFTA TV Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the BBC series "Sherlock," takes on the central role of Bilbo Baggins. Also reprising their roles from "The Lord of the Rings" movies are: Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Orlando Bloom as Legolas; Ian Holm as the elder Bilbo; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; and Andy Serkis as Gollum. The ensemble cast also includes (in alphabetical order) Richard Armitage, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Stephen Fry, Ryan Gage, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, Mike Mizrahi, James Nesbitt, Dean O?Gorman, Lee Pace, Mikael Persbrandt, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott, Jeffrey Thomas and Aidan Turner.

The screenplays for "The Hobbit" films are by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson. Jackson is also producing the films, together with Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham. The executive producers are Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner, with Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer.

"The Hobbit" films are productions of New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing being handled by MGM.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78224

The first film, titled The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, will be released on December 14, 2012. The second film, titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013.

We have to sit through an entire year to get the second one?! :(

We have to sit through an entire year to get the second one?! :(

Horrible choice. I understand they want to milk this but seriously, 12 full months? It should be a December 2012/June 2013 release...

• 3 weeks later...

Luke Evans has been cast as Bard in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, which is currently in production. Bard was the last big role that Jackson had to cast. hadn't cast in a production that's underway in New Zealand. Also known as Bard of Esgaroth, the ?grim faced? character was a skilled archer and the heir of Girion, the last king of old Dale, who was killed by the dragon Smaug. I won't going into anymore details on the character as it would spoil the movie for those that have never read the books.

You might know Luke Evans from films such as Clash of the Titans and Robin Hood, he also will star in Immortals, The Three Musketeers, and The Raven. I don't really remember him in those films, but he looks like he could effectively pull off the part.

All we are waiting on now is to see who will be brought in to voice the dragon Smaug. According to Deadline there is a chance it could end up being Bill Nighy, which would be pretty awesome.

What do you all think about Luke Evan being cast as Bard in The Hobbit?

http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/6/16/luke-evans-cast-as-bard-the-bowman-in-the-hobbit.html

On his official Facebook page director Peter Jackson announced that another female elf in the form of Lost?s Evangeline Lilly would be joining the line-up. He also announced that Australian actor Barry Humphries will portray the Goblin King, along with confirming that Luke Evans will play Bard and Benedict Cumberbatch will voice Smaug the Dragon.

Here?s his full announcement:

Yikes! I can finally get back to some postings! We?ve finished our first block of shooting and moved straight into location scouting. More on that soon? But today, I?m thrilled to announce two new cast members who will be joining us for our second block of shooting.

Evangeline Lilly will be playing a new character?the Woodland Elf, Tauriel. Her name means ?daughter of Mirkwood? and, beyond that, we must leave you guessing! (No, there is no romantic connection to Legolas.) What is not a secret is how talented and compelling an actress Evangeline is; we are thrilled and excited she will be the one to bring our first true Sylvan Elf to life.

I?m also highly excited that Barry Humphries will be portraying the Goblin King, in much the way Andy Serkis created Gollum. Barry is perhaps best known for his business and social connections as the long-time manager of Dame Edna Everage. He has also been an ardent supporter of the rather misunderstood and unfairly maligned Australian politician, Sir Les Patterson. However, in his spare time, Barry is also a fine actor, and we?re looking forward to seeing him invest the Goblin King with the delicate sensitivity and emotional depth this character deserves.

Evangeline and Barry, along with Welsh actor Luke Evans as Bard and Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug, just about rounds out the major casting. I cannot wait to get stuck into these new scenes!

More soon, including a flurry of answers to your questions. Sorry for the delay!

Cheers,

Peter J

Evangeline Lilly :woot: ! 2012 is so far away :cry: .

Scirwode

• 2 weeks later...