The Hobbit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am def excited for this. Never read any of the books (I know I am missing out) so the "changes" to the story will pass right by me. Seems very simliar to LOTRs so thats enough for me. Still not sold on Bilbo's character though, the actor just doesnt seem right.

Looks disappointing, trailer was boring, have the changed the story as well?

I don't think they have all the footage yet, next trailer is probably gonna be better.

Friend watched this and made some good observations about this Definatly being a multi part movie. ( I have not read thread so no idea if this was brought up or confirmed)

There is no mention of smog, lonely mountain, anything toward the end of the books from what we can remember ( he read book, iv only seen the previous movie/cartoon )

It's already been established that this will be two movies (more here)

Ahh cool, I thought the trailer was the only info about it

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Peter Jackson's 10-minute preview of The Hobbit has met with a mixed response at CinemaCon.

The Lord of the Rings filmmaker is shooting his latest JRR Tolkien adaptation at a rate of 48 frames per second, double that of the industry standard 24fps.

Jackson said in a video introduction that he made the choice to increase the frame-rate to create "movement [that] feels more real - it's much more gentle on the eyes".

Though viewers were positive about the sequences shown - including Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) in Gollum's cave and Gandalf (Sir Ian McKellen) and Legolas (Orlando Bloom) in battle - many had reservations about the 48fps footage.

Collider's Steve Weintraub said that it presented "a radical change" and could potentially "polarise audiences".

"The 48fps is so jarring that I'm not sure casual moviegoers will enjoy it," he said. "While I figured the image quality would improve at 48fps, it's like looking at real life on a movie screen and not in a good way. You no longer have motion blur. You no longer can hide stuff in the darkness."

SlashFilm's Peter Sciretta complained that the film looked like a "made for television BBC movie" and so "uncompromisingly real" that it seemed artificial.

"More noticeable in the footage was the make-up, the sets, the costumes," he said. "Hobbiton and Middle Earth didn't feel like a different universe, it felt like a special effect, a film set with actors in costumes. It looked like behind the scenes footage."

Sciretta concluded: "It didn't look cinematic. Not at all, even with a top filmmaker like Peter Jackson at the helm."

ComingSoon's Edward Douglas said: "Everything looks crystal clear but it also looks a little too perfect and lifelike and because of that clarity, the fact that we're looking at sets and actors in costumes and make-up seems much more obvious.

"One of the nice things about film is that it adds a glossy look that smooths out the rough spots in sets, costumes and make-up."

Furthermore, a projectionist told the Los Angeles Times that he wasn't convinced by The Hobbit's 48fps scenes.

"It was too accurate - too clear. The contrast ratio isn't there yet - everything looked either too bright or black," he said.

James Cameron has vowed to use higher film speeds for his back-to-back Avatar, with both 48 or 60 fps said to be options.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is scheduled to hit cinemas in December this year, while the second part will be released in December 2013.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a378386/the-hobbit-48fps-footage-sparks-mixed-response-at-cinemacon.html

I'm not a fan of higher fps on films. It's why I couldn't get into Torchwood after just a few minutes of watching. Reminds me all too much of watching episodes of Hercules when a CG monster came on screen or a reenactment of a real event on TLC or Lifetime. Makes it feel less cinematic imo, too "made for TV."

Whats with all the bad quotes. There is an equal amount of people who saw the preview who thought the 49 fps was better. Aintit cool liked it. Stated that a lot of the footage was not finished and the scenes that were looked good in 48fps.