The Hobbit

This coudl really **** things up!

One Last Crusade In The Battle For The Silmarillion

silmarillion.bmpChristopher Tolkien who is the son of J.R.R. Tolkien and who in 1977 published The Silmarillion from his fathers notes following his death has called for “One Last Crusade” as he sets off from his home in England for a date in the courts of California on June 6th in an attempt to stop work going ahead on The Hobbit movies.

Tolkien jr, now 83 years young spent the best part of 4 years working on The Silmarillion after his father died in 1973 and is said by his autobiographer to be “cantankerous” claims The Tolkien Trust charity of which he is a board member is owed in the region of 80 million dollars by New Line Cinema (who else??).

When his father reluctantly sold the movie rights to The Lord of the Rings to pay a tax debt, as a persuasive sweetener to seal the deal it was agreed that the charity would receive a 7.5% share of profits any future movies would make.

He is to ask the judge to terminate the rights to The Hobbit movie because of the breach of contract. Relatives say he is “furious” with New Line Cinema and has always been sceptical of Hollywood. Even now relatives are still unsure whether he has seen any of The Lord Of The Rings movies.

If the judge turns down his request or if Warner Bros fail to step in and settle the debt (the money is to carry out charity work world wide so it would be good press) we can expect Christopher Tolkien to put up an even bigger fight over the proposed second Hobbit movie which is to be based on The Silmarillion, a book he devoted years to and to which he would probably be seen by courts to have a greater say in regarding movie rights.

My guess is a deal will be struck my Warner Bros who have already committed themselves to spending $150 million to the making of the 2 Hobbit movies. Each of The Lord Of The Rings Movies made around $1 billion.

Source

They should just pay the charity. They would more than make their money back off of just making the movie!

James McAvoy To Play Bilbo Baggins

jamesmcavoy.jpgRumors are flying around the web of the impending announcement that Bilbo Baggins is to be played by James McAvoy.

Bang Media is saying an insider leaked the news to them. They quote the leak as saying:

?A number of names have privately been doing the rounds, including Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black but James is the one the film?s bosses really want. They?re expected to have talks with him soon so hopefully it could be confirmed in the not too distant future.?

Del Toro seems to confirm at least part of the rumor with this comment in the latest Empire Magazine due out tomorrow:

?We are writing based on Ian Holm?s performance but other than that, we have ideas of who could play him. I can tell you that it?s down to a few names that we all agree upon. And that our first choice ?completely, magically, we said the same name. All of us!?

Would McAvoy be the one they all had in mind? Did they all watch The Chronicles Of Narnia and think ?It?s our Bilbo!?

Personally I?m still hoping for Colin Firth who was suggested in the comments here by Steelsheen and since it was suggested, I haven?t been able to picture anyone else in the role!

Don?t quite right off Sir Ian Holm yet either as I expect him to be announced at the very least as the narrator.

Source

I Wonder who will play Bilbo, I really hope they look the age Bilbo is suppose to be (40's) when they shoot the movie. Would be retarded if it was like a 20 year old.

For pretty much constant updates, and the only place to read about all things Tolkien, not just The Hobbit, and the LOTR trilogy, and the Silmarillion, there's only one site I visit:

The One Ring

It's had the best Tolkien related news since 1999.

• 3 weeks later...
Christopher Lee attended the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival this week, and our friends from RushBlogg, Karsten and Eirik, were on hand to talk to him. Of all the attendees, Meinich was the only one who asked Lee about his involvement in The Hobbit. Lee's answer came as quite a surprise -- first, he's adamant that he won't be appearing in The Hobbit, because as we all know, Saruman isn't in the book. This comes as no surprise -- Lee is a Tolkien purist (thank goodness!) and he won't allow himself to be shoehorned in, even if Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro were interested in doing so.

But what about the much discussed second film, which would likely deal with the Council of Wizards? That's a location problem. Lee isn't interested in filming in New Zealand again because it is simply too far away, for too long of a time. You can hear the tiredness in his voice -- and perhaps a bit of regret too.

That doesn't mean Lee isn't interested in being in The Hobbit at all, however! He'll appear in the film as long as he can stay in London, and there's a character he's quite keen to play. Or rather, voice. Someone very large, with a penchant for gold...

/source

• 2 months later...

?Hobbit? Films Will Be One ?Continuous Journey,? Promises Guillermo Del Toro

What?s better than a second breakfast? For fans of J.R.R. Tolkien?s Middle-earth legendarium, it?s the thought of two separate ?Hobbit? films, the first of which comes our way in 2011.

But what could be even better still than two ?Hobbit? films? How about just one? Make that one movie in two parts, director Guillermo del Toro insisted in an exclusive interview with MTV News, refusing, like Tolkien himself before him, to fractionalize his overall story into component parts.

?The reality is that we stopped talking the first movie and second movie, and we just started taking about the movie - the two episodes, or two parts, as if they were a single piece of narrative,? he said of scriptwriting meetings between ?Lord of the Rings? director Peter Jackson, his filmmaking team of Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, and del Toro himself.

(But how do those scriptwriting sessions work? Find out on Movies Main)

?We don?t even call it the bridge movie, we just call it ?The Movie.? And this is great. When we found what reverberated, and we found it in one of our virtual meetings - we understood. It?s a movie.?

Intended or not, the methodology ties in nicely with the material, since Tolkien?s ?Lord of the Rings? story, popularized in three separate volumes, was similarly intended to be one large, single volume work.

Practically, the division (or lack thereof) means little in so far as solving the narrative riddles of the second episode. (What will the second episode contain? What characters will return, etc?) Well, except for the very end that is, which will lead right into ?The Fellowship of the Ring,? del Toro revealed.

?We all agree that if we do our job right, it should all feel like a continuous journey. That?s what we?re striving for,? Del Toro said. ?You should see a movie that?s five pictures long. If we do our job right, you put in ?The Hobbit? and you wind up watching the entire Pentology!?

And let me be the (second) to say: That would be one heck of a long day.

?But it?s a good day!? Del Toro laughed with my colleague Josh Horowitz. ?Better than paying taxes!?

As for the end of the first episode, the movie everyone assumed will follow the events of the novel fairly accurately? Where in the text will it finish?

?We are finding out,? GDT quipped. ?I think Smaug dies in the first movie. So draw your own conclusions.?

---

Guillermo Del Toro To Fly Solo On ?Hobbit? Directing Duties, Says No To Peter Jackson Assist

Peter Jackson won three Oscars for his work on the ?Lord of the Rings? trilogy out of seven nominations. He crafted films that pleased fans, critics, and bean counters alike ? films that made something like a bajillion dollars worldwide. He?s the trusted modern face of J.R.R. Tolkien?s revered legendarium.

So given that he?s also working on ?The Hobbit? as both a producer and a screenwriter, it?s natural to think that he?ll also step behind the camera at some point as well ? to film at least one scene that connects the original trilogy with the two new films.

After all, the man?s earned one last drink from the well, right? He most certainly has, Guillermo Del Toro told MTV News, but that still doesn?t mean he?ll be given the opportunity.

?We talked about it. I normally oppose fully the idea of second unit so my first instinct is no, we will not have second unit on this film,? Del Toro said of whether or not Jackson might at some point get behind the camera. ?If there is a scheduling conflict or a problem of that sort, we may consider it, but right now the idea is I shoot everything.?

Listening to Del Toro talk about how ?magical? his collaboration with Jackson has been so far, I can?t imagine he wouldn?t reconsider if Jackson wanted to do something brief. Still, for now, there are no plans.

Guillermo Del Toro is a great man for the job.

I just hope he can film in the same kind of style has Jackson did. :( I'm alittle less nervous knowing that Jackson + team are working on the script. :)

• 1 month later...

2010 Filming

Meanwhile director Guillermo del Toro did a BD-Live chat for "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" Blu-ray users and confirmed that a shoot lasting just over a year - 370 days to be precise - will commence in 2010 for the two "The Hobbit" films.

He added that we will see the as much of the goblin kindgom, Smaug and the Spiders of Mirkwood that he can include - "we will be pushing them to the edge of technology where we will fuse animatronics and cgi into a seamless new art form in creating creatures" he stated during the chat.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hobbit Postponed

Lord Of The Rings prequel The Hobbit has been postponed until 2012, WENN has claimed.

The movie, to be released in two parts, was due to shoot in New Zealand this winter but has reportedly had its start date shifted to 2010, resulting in the release being pushed back to 2012.

Guillermo del Toro will direct the fantasy epic, with Lord Of The Rings trilogy helmer Peter Jackson serving as producer.

Sir Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis are expected to reprise their roles as Gandalf and Gollum respectively.