The Hobbit

While I can understand why Legolas will be back, and also all the others, I really don't see why Frodo should be in the movie.

Anyway, this turns out to be something really really good. I loved the LoTR cast, and seeing them again in The Hobbit will be great. While I know it's impossible to do a LoTR sequel, this is pretty close, and I couldn't be more excited. :)

David Tennant has been linked to the role of Thranduil the Elvenking in the forthcoming Hobbit movie.

According to Movieweb, the former Doctor Who star is preparing to join Martin Freeman, Andy Serkis, Cate Blanchett, Elijah Wood and Sir Ian McKellen in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings prequel project.

Thranduil is the father of the character Legolas, played by Orlando Bloom in Lord of the Rings. Bloom is also reportedly attached to portray the part in The Hobbit.

Tennant was previously rumoured to be in consideration for the lead role of Bilbo Baggins, which eventually went to Freeman.

Part one of The Hobbit will open in cinemas in December 2012.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a297333/david-tennant-joins-the-hobbit.html

Elijah Wood Talks About His Upcoming Appearance in ?The Hobbit?

So Elijah Wood is going to be in The Hobbit. Kind of a surprise to some, though given part of the infrastructure built by J.R.R. Tolkien, not the most unusual thing that could have happened. (More on that in a minute; we?ll keep supposition and info about the nuts and bolts of his appearance after the break.)

Now someone has managed to catch up with the actor to get a direct soundbyte about the film. He doesn?t have much to offer, but if you want the word on The Hobbit direct from Mr. Wood, it?s after the break. Warning: no great revelations lie within.

Speaking to IGN, he says,

We thought we were finished and the character doesn?t even exist in The Hobbit, so it was not even a pipe dream to imagine the possibility would be there for me to reprise the role of Frodo. But they?ve come up with something that I think is kind of interesting and I think very fitting that doesn?t necessarily infringe upon the integrity of the original novel. It?s great. I?m really excited.

Which is more or less what you?d expect to hear in a situation like this. And, sadly, he hasn?t read a script yet, so can?t spoil anything further:

I think [the role will] be relatively minimal. That?s my impression. I actually haven?t read anything yet. I haven?t read a script. I have almost as much information as you guys have!

http://www.slashfilm.com/elijah-wood-talks-upcoming-appearance-the-hobbit/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+slashfilm+%28%2FFilm%29&utm_content=Netvibes

Perhaps they'll introuce Frodo at the end for continuity but any sort of a major part would be a huge mistake.

Elijah Wood will reprise the role of Frodo and -- spoiler warning -- he'll do so by appearing in the opening sequence of the films. They explain, "As readers of "The Hobbit" know, the tale of "The Downfall of The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit or There and Back Again," are contained in the fictional "Red Book of Westmarch." In Peter Jackson's LOTR films, the books are shown on screen and written in by Bilbo and Frodo and handed off to Sam Gamgee. (Not explained on film are Sam's progeny later having the book and being Wardens of the Westmarch - hence the book's title.) The fictional book, and either the telling from it or the reading of it, will establish Frodo in the films experiencing Bilbo's story. Viewers to learn the tale of 'The Hobbit' with a familiar Frodo getting the tale as well."

Source

• 3 weeks later...
Saoirse Ronan joins the cast of The Hobbit

3a5Xs.jpg

During a sit down with The Irish Film & Television Network, this is what was said about the casting that gave the tip off:

IFTN: I wondered if there was any coincidence between the large Irish presence (Aidan Turner, James Nesbitt and Saoirse Ronan) in the film and the fact that it was you guys casting . . .

Ros Hubbard: Yes, there was quite a lot of influence there! We had been wanting to to put Aidan Turner into film for a long time because he had done an awful lot of TV and we told him when we finally met him ?We are going to concentrate in getting you into the movies.? I didn?t think it would be as big as this. But how great for him.

And Jimmy is thrilled to bits, his whole family have gone out, it is just wonderful. And working with Peter Jackson is like working with a family. So they?ll have a great time. Saoirse?s family will go too, everyone is very close and very loving on those sorts of jobs. It?s not like typical studio movies at all.

The last time the actress teamed up with Jackson was on THE LOVELY BONES in 2009. There's no word on what role Ronan will be playing in THE HOBBIT. As we reported earlier in the day, production is slightly delayed so that Jackson can recover from stomach surgery.

[x]

• 1 month later...

New Line has recently registered the following two film titles:

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

and...

The Hobbit: An/The Unexpected Journey

• 3 weeks later...

Filming on the two Hobbit movies has begun following months of delays caused by funding problems, a row over actors' wages and surgery for its director.

Filming is taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

Production on the films, starring Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, is expected to take up to two years. The first is due out in late 2012.

In January, director Peter Jackson had surgery for a perforated ulcer.

Studios Warner Bros and New Line had previously considered taking the production away from New Zealand after acting unions threatened to boycott the films in protest over payments.

The unions had complained of inconsistencies in the terms and conditions of New Zealand actors and other production workers compared with their overseas colleagues.

They said they would strike if their demands for a collective contract were not met.

The films, which also star Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey, Andy Serkis as Gollum, Elijah Wood as Frodo and Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, are based on JR Tolkien's epic fantasy novel.

The Hobbit films act as a prequel to Jackson's trilogy of films based on Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.

more

^ I showed my girlfriend before and after pictures of Jackson, once he'd lost all that weight, and she didn't believe that it was the same person.

Glad to see this is making progress can't wait for this to be released.

Well that's one thing your girlfriend and I apparently have in common... :blink:

• 4 weeks later...