Editing plaintext from the shell

Try Nano and pico first. They are by far the easiest to use. VI is a REAL pain to use. Gives be migranes since the shortcut keys are non-evident. I can still use it but nano and pico are so much easier.

It's a great question to ask. Most people don't even bother using the command prompt. Consider yourself adventuros. Just be really carefull about editing the Xfree86 file.

Once you can use VI its quite quick to edit files etc. It does take a lot of getting used to and its best to Google for some tutorials or newbie guides to it first.

A funny nick name for VI is "The Devil" due to it being a pain to use and also VI being the roman numeral for 6.

Try Nano and pico first. They are by far the easiest to use. VI is a REAL pain to use. Gives be migranes since the shortcut keys are non-evident. I can still use it but nano and pico are so much easier.

Haha, VIM is one of my favorite editor. I even use it on Windows too. Once, you know VI very well, then you will love it. I use it near everyday and I find it's very powerful than any editor. But, sure I do use pico or nano (for Linux) and ee (edit in FreeBSD) for the quick task.

nano and pico are nice. I prefer nano because my home and end keys actually do what I expect them to.

<rant> Vi is for people who like to use programs that are so un-userfriendly, that they can call themselves "l33t" for using it. </rant>

It's still a good idea to know how to use vi, because it is included in nearly every distro you'll find.

<rant> Vi is for people who like to use programs that are so un-userfriendly, that they can call themselves "l33t" for using it. </rant>

Well, if you know VI very well, then you will think it's userfriendly than other editors. Because, it has so much features, powerful and others than different editors. Don't you know that most M$ programmers use VIM as their main editor to write M$ products? It's their favorite editors, which they donated the money to the VIM project as well.

Heh, I tought I was the only one loving VI(M)

EMACS is the REAL pain to me, I don't get it. For some reason, while in VI for the first time, I discoved " that : was some sort of place to enter shortcuts, and then, q was quite, w was write and there was light".

I *NEED* syntax highlighting since I program in VI. It's very userfriendly to me, really o.o

I just don't get why people think it's that hard... of course, PICO is easier but far less flexible to me...

I too, even use GVIM while in Windows.