55 replies to this topic

#1 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 79

Posted 20 December 2007 - 16:46

POPULAR

Staff
Our staff are mostly from Europe (3 of the 4 Admins) and US/Canada; but the remaining staff groups are purposely split between EU & US timezones to try and cover a 24 hour period.

Site Operations

Administrator
This should be obvious, there are 4 administrators on Neowin, 2 site founders Marcel and Myself, Daniel Fleshbourne (was the first staffer we took on and was promoted to this in early 2001), as well as our American co-owner Brad Wardell (aka Frogboy).

Development
This group consists of coders and developers for all aspects of behind the scenes work at Neowin, including image creation. This group has exclusive access to our servers.

Forum Operations
Color coded from green.

Supervisor
The Supervisor group was created just over 2 years ago to take the load off the admins, the staff selected (usually a group of no more than 6) are long term trusted staff. They are given administrator permissions and can make operational decisions without fear of being over ruled by the admin group. This group also has an ops forum and many decisions are talked about and decided between admins and supervisors with the help of developers.

Global Mod
This group is another name for "Super Moderator" meaning that anyone in this group can moderate anywhere including news comments. Most Global Moderators are assigned a section to supervise, where they provide guidance to Moderators.

This group contains staff that are usually new to the staff and have been given a specific forum or number of forums to moderate exclusively, they cannot moderate everywhere so we try to keep this group small. They also have permissions to edit News comments. This group includes the Chat Moderators.

News Operations
Color coded from red. News is submitted both in UK & US English, depending on the location of the poster.

Senior News Editor
Head of the news team. Directs, approves and supervises all news activities.

News Editor
This group can promote news stories submitted by News Reporters to the main page, and is responsible for quality control.

News Reporter
This group submits news to the site, and in most cases is paid per article for the effort. This group is moderated by Editors & Senior Editors.

Non Staff

vetstar.gifVeteran
This is where ex staffers go that have contributed a lot to Neowin. Not all ex staffers go here, if they leave on bad terms or simply did not deliver while on staff then they are instead returned to their previous group.

+Subscriber and +Subscriber²
The people in this group paid for additional privileges and enhanced service, or just to support Neowin financially! You can view our subscription details & pricing here.

+Most Valued Contributor
This group was selected exclusively by the Neowin staff, it is a group of members who the staff felt have been model members and very helpful to existing or new members of Neowin. Requires being a member of Neowin for a year as well as having a minimum of 500 posts.

Edited by Denis W., 26 November 2013 - 23:45. Reason: Updated role of global mod

#2 +Mystic

Mystic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 December 2007 - 16:54

Hmm, I don't ever remember seeing a Supervisor yet (other than Fred), but I have seen most ever other type on the forums. Thanks for making them so clear cut Neo, this will help many newer users (especially with the newest created class MVC).

Edited by mystic54, 20 December 2007 - 17:31.

#3 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 December 2007 - 21:06

Hmm, I don't ever remember seeing a Supervisor yet (other than Fred), but I have seen most ever other type on the forums. Thanks for making them so clear cut Neo, this will help many newer users (especially with the newest created class MVC).

If you go to the Forum's main page, there's a legend at the bottom of all possible groups at Neowin.

Posted Image

Those are links and if you click on one of them, a new page will open with a list of all members of that specific group ;)

There are currently five Supervisors :)

#4 vetgigapixels

gigapixels

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 December 2007 - 21:16

Sweet. I've pretty much had a good idea of what they are, but it's nice to see the explanations in writing. For example, I didn't know what kind of power Supervisors had; now I know who not to **** off :p

#5 vetLaura

Laura

Fwoomp

Posted 21 December 2007 - 22:06

It's nice to see a clear list, I always found it a bit confusing when it came to working out who does what etc. I'm sure this will help newer members even more.

#6 +Wannes

Wannes

iCommand ⌘

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 24 December 2007 - 14:45

The supervisors run around but don't post all the time, they still have to do their work. Fred is indeed here the most but Joel (silly_walks) tends to come along once in a while with his dry humor.

#7 roadgeek9

roadgeek9

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 December 2007 - 14:50

What do you get when you are a Subscriber?

#8 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 24 December 2007 - 14:54

What do you get when you are a Subscriber?

A blog, no flood control and access to a special section.

#9 Shof

Shof

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 December 2007 - 14:54

Access to the hottest forum, plus you turn orange

#10 +Wannes

Wannes

iCommand ⌘

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 24 December 2007 - 14:56

You forgot the infamous badge everyone is talking about nowadays.

#11 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 24 December 2007 - 14:57

Don't forget: You also get the warm and fuzzy feeling to have supported the site and its community.

#12 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 24 December 2007 - 14:58

Don't forget: You also get the warm and fuzzy feeling to have supported the site and its community.

Oh Yes, plus theres an welcome party :shifty:

#13 +StevoFC

StevoFC

In Search Of...

Posted 24 December 2007 - 14:59

Oh Yes, plus theres an welcome party :shifty:

you weren't supposed to mention that... :crazy:

#14 roadgeek9

roadgeek9

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:11

I know this is a slightly old thread, but I do have one question about things like this...
What are the user rankings?

#15 windows7

windows7

Neowinian

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:10

I know this is a slightly old thread, but I do have one question about things like this...
What are the user rankings?

in the profile? The profile is any member or staff can go in to a persons profile and rate them. It does get abused a lot imo. may sites have disabled it.

as for those stars, those are based on your post count and the user titles.