A brief summary of Neowin User groups

hah, I was about the ask about the restricted ones....

I'm guessing it means they are banned from the IRC server, considering that your neowin account info is required to connect to it.

The badges are probably spoof's

I remember seeing a different type of Restricted on here which was "Mac".

Members can be restricted from the Mac forum, from the Gamer forums, from RWI & NFN (Real World Issues and Nerd Free News), from NeoBay and from the Subscriber forum. We use this with some who than can be decent members outside of certain sections where they cannot seem to resist flaming or trolling.

Members can also be restricted from their own profile if they repeatedly abuse their privileges by choosing not to respect our Avatar and Signature Guidelines.

hah, I was about the ask about the restricted ones....

I'm guessing it means they are banned from the IRC server, considering that your neowin account info is required to connect to it.

The badges are probably spoof's

Nope only Banned and Restricted (Chat) are banned from the server from memory.

Members can be restricted from the Mac forum, from the Gamer forums, from RWI & NFN (Real World Issues and Nerd Free News), from NeoBay and from the Subscriber forum. We use this with some who than can be decent members outside of certain sections where they cannot seem to resist flaming or trolling.

Members can also be restricted from their own profile if they repeatedly abuse their privileges by choosing not to respect our Avatar and Signature Guidelines.

Thanks for the heads up but what about that avatar/signature combination a few posts up?

Thanks for the heads up but what about that avatar/signature combination a few posts up?

I'm guessing it was made by a disgruntled user.

Its not official or made by staff.

• Like 5

I'm guessing it was made by a disgruntled user.

Its not official or made by staff.

Under no circumstances will there ever be official signature/avatar combinations released that highlight a members' indiscretions.

Good to hear that. I still think assigning such combination set would have the same affect as a shame pole. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Shouldn't this be updated with the new edtions to staff groups, color changes, rearanging or senior staff, etc etc :p?

Good that makes it a lot more easy to understand. Before on forums i was used to only two ranks: Administrator and Moderator. So i was confused what is the difference between global mod and mod. and i never knew supervisors had admin privileges.

The color in the original post are not the same anymore. These are the new colors:

Staff

Administrator

This should be obvious, there are 4 administrators on Neowin, 2 site founders Marcel and Myself, Daniel (was the first staffer we took on and was promoted to this in early 2001) and our American investor Brad Wardell aka Frogboy

Development

This group consists of coders and developers for all aspects of behind the scenes work at Neowin, including image creation. This group has exclusive access to our servers.

Public Relations

This group consists of one person, that is Marshalus. He is the voice on most legal areas and the first point of reference when contacting third parties on behalf of Neowin, he is also communications officer and has setup our Jabber system for staff Instant Messaging service.

This is now "Managing Director".

Managing Editor

Explanation comes here. ( PR )

Supervisor

The Supervisor group was created just over 2 years ago to take the load off the admins, the staff selected (usually a group of no more than 5) are long term trusted staff. They are given administrator permissions and can make operational decisions without fear of being over ruled by the admin group. This group also has an ops forum and many decisions are talked about and decided between admins and supervisors with the help of developers.

Global Mod

This group is another name for "Super Moderator" meaning that anyone in this group can moderate anywhere including news comments.

This group contains staff that are usually new to the staff and have been given a specific forum or number of forums to moderate exclusively, they cannot moderate everywhere so we try to keep this group small. They also have permissions to edit News comments.

Editor-in-chief

Explanation comes here. ( Head of news team )

News Staff

This group is our news editors, anyone in this group may not moderate the forums unless they have been given a secondary group which allows this.

Chat Mod

This group is for IRC moderators.

Non Staff

vetstar.gifVeteran

This is where ex staffers go that have contributed a lot to Neowin. Not all ex staffers go here, if they leave on bad terms or simply did not deliver while on staff then they are instead returned to Registered.

+Subscriber

The people in this group paid for additional privileges and enhanced service, or just to support Neowin financially!

+Most Valued Contributor

This group was selected exclusively by the Neowin staff, it is a group of members who the staff felt have been model members and very helpful to existing or new members of Neowin.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to see some colors for the female users, like pink! I know it'll probably never happen, but it would be cute.

I'm not sure that'd be a good idea - I've seen the 'intro threads' where the OP states she's a lady - the responses border on the cringe worthy.

• Haha 1

I'm not sure that'd be a good idea - I've seen the 'intro threads' where the OP states she's a lady - the responses border on the cringe worthy.

Well then the ladies should just suck it up and deal with it, because it's going to happen regardless, lol. I know I talked to many on here before about possibly having a pink badge made, since there aren't that many females. I mean there are many, but not in comparison to male members here. Just thought it would be something cute.

Well then the ladies should just suck it up and deal with it, because it's going to happen regardless, lol. I know I talked to many on here before about possibly having a pink badge made, since there aren't that many females. I mean there are many, but not in comparison to male members here. Just thought it would be something cute.

No. Why do you need a badge (pink or otherwise) to indicate your sex with every post? To gain more attention?

If someone wants to know if you're male or female, they can visit your profile if you've opted to select whether you're male or female.

Don't need something "cute" tacked on. Post to post. Don't post to show off your gender.

• Like 1