Review my partial rebuild of my PC

Continuing from this thread I decided to swap out my motherboard and related parts now. Even if further testing reveals the hard drives can be accessed I can't risk any more potential data corruption with this unstable chipset on this motherboard.

By replacing my motherboard I in effect end up replacing my CPU and RAM as well. The rest of my PC - case, PSU, hard drives, DVD burner, video card, sound card - will remain intact.

My current PC build:

• CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+
  • MB: ASUS A8N-SLi
  • RAM: 2 GB OCZ value RAM
  • HDs: WD 250 GB and 500 GB
  • Video card: Geforce 8800 GT
  • Sound card: SB Audigy 2 ZS
  • Case, burner, other crap...

Parts to be replaced:

• MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (picked it off this thread, hopefully this is a reliable mobo that is also decently fast)
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (I figured instead of buying a cheaper Core 2 Duo CPU now and replacing it a short while later, I'll get this one now)
  • RAM: OCZ (OCZ2P800R22GK) DDR2 PC2-6400 (relatively inexpensive, this one I'm not too sure about)

Any other suggestions? I will also willingly substitute the Core 2 Quad CPU with a better valued Core 2 Duo CPU if there's another CPU with good performance for its price.

Look like great choices to me. Stick with the q6600 it offers by far the best value for money and overclocks like crazy on p35.

2gbs of ddr2-800 ocz platnium memory would run very nicely nothing to worry about there

Edited by J400uk

all looks good here. You can get the OCZ Platinum/Gold kits for dirt cheap now (check for rebates!). Gigabyte is not my first choice but it's not a bad choice either.

The Q6600 is best for "futureproof" due to the extra cores, but if you plan to upgrade the CPU in a year and want speed now, get a C2D.

PS I wouldn't list your PSU under other crap ;) it's one of the most vital components of your PC if not the most vital.