360 RROD Poll

1 RROD

I had it for about 10 months when it died.

Original

Premium

I was really surprised when it happened because I hadnt turned it on it a while and when I did it RROD.

0 RROD's

I have had my console for more than 2.5 years

Original Design

Premium

I use my 360 a lot, and it has only froze once in a game when I hit the Xbox button.

Exact same as me then.

I have had 0 RRoD's

I have had my console since launch.

Original Design

Premium.

The only issue I ever had was a user issue when My roomate tripped on the cord and the A/V Cable came out.

This would also be an interesting question to add. How do you have it hooked up? Mine is hooked up via VGA.

1 RROD and 1 DVD Drive went bad

First 2 and my current were/are premium systems. Meant to get the 65nm for the last replacement but picked up the wrong one (went by build date instead of power consumption as I didn't know about the latter till after the fact).

Both lasted about a year

Edited by AndyD

Buy a new one (with the "Go Pro" or "Go Big" box, which should be a Falcon model) and you'll have absolutely nothing to worry about.
I'm getting the elite but isn't the problem for the most part caused by overheating? I wont play anywhere near enough to have that problem. Doesn't the elite have the falcon chip too?

I'm getting the elite but isn't the problem for the most part caused by overheating? I wont play anywhere near enough to have that problem. Doesn't the elite have the falcon chip too?

Since the elite is just a different shell with a different hard drive attached to it, it's subject to the same conditions as the premium/pro models. Essentially, there's 2 types, one with HDMI and one with HDMI but on a falcon chipset.

The best way of telling them apart is to look at the power consumption on the box, if I recall correctly the non-falcons use like 220w or something, but the falcon-based models use 165w of power. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it's a big enough difference that it shouldn't be hard to spot.

Also, the problem isn't overheating as such, it's caused by constant heating and cooling, causing part of the 360 (the X-clamp) to bend and warp. In fact, a short-term remedy for the RROD is to actually heat the console up even more by wrapping a towel around it, part of the problem then becomes part of the (Temporary) solution.

I bought my 360 at the end of September 2007 (this year and no, it wasn't because of Halo =P), it's a pro HDMI but not Falcon-chipset and so far it's been absolutely fine.

I'm on my 4th 360

I got my premium at launch, it RROD after exactly 1 year, sent it in for repair and the console they sent back lasted 3 weeks before it RROD'd on me. The next console I got after that was "new" because I had a warrenty with the store I purchased it from (futureshop) the console scratched a bunch of brand new games without me moving it at all. now I am on my 4th.

the reason I said "new" is because when I received the last 2 consoles not too long ago they said they were manufactured in August 2006. It seems like futureshop purchased far too many consoles and were overstocked up the wazoo, I wish I had a falcon, I didnt even get a Zephyr or the extra heat sync.

I'm glad you guys made a post like this, it will be interesting to see how many of us have red ringed vs not.

0 RRODs, though I've only had mine since mid November. I believe (as mine has the HDMI port) that it's a Falcon 65, but not positive. I do know that this thing gets HOT, even with proper ventilation, but it's stayed solid through a few 8 hour gaming sessions, with no lockups, hiccups or issues that I've seen.

1 RROD in February 2007 from a console w/ Manufacture date of April '06 and was purchased in May '06. So the unit died in 10 months.

Refurbished under warranty with a unit w/ Manufacture date of October '05.

Have not had any problems with refurb unit for 10 months... but I am starting to get nervous now that it has been 10 months.

Out of everyone I know, only one person has not had the RROD at least once. I'm never buying another Microsoft console. Games are great, software on console is great, Live! is great, but this failure rate is unacceptable. Sorry Microsoft, you've lost a customer.

two 360 consoles.

one as strictly a media center edition/linux box in basement (fairly cool)

the other as a gaming rig

Both have talismoon glow replacement fans from the get-go (quieter and push more CFM)

RRoD:

6 gaming rigs

1 MCE/linux

Neither my PS3 or Wii even shown faint signs of failing, where I am on my 7th 360 console.

Gaming is definatly the cause of the failures.

I've been a 360 owner for 2yrs now. And in that time, I've rarely used my consoles (I'll get to why that is plural in a moment).

First console lasted 11mths 3 weeks before it died (RRoR - although, it also sounded like a jet-engine whilst in use) - it was replaced under warranty. This was before the 3yr extended warranty (only for the RRoD) happened.

My 2nd console does not suffer from the RRoD issue. However, it is convinced that every single disc I place into it is dirty, or damaged. Even the ones straight out of the shrink-wrap.

I can probably play for about 10mins before I get the 'disc cannot be read' error. Which is just short enough that I can't progress through a game, earn any bonuses, or reach a save point.

I hate my 360. I can't understand how a company can get away with selling such clearly faulty hardware. I'd like to be playing games on it right now, but, what's the point? I might as well just leave it, and watch a DVD.

So, my current/replacement 360 is out-of-warranty. Microsoft kindly tell me that since I don't have the RRoD issue, that it is going to cost me ?50.99 (101.62USD) to 'repair' it - which will take 10-20 days.

Part of me wants to...

Save the ?50.99, and

a) batter f*ck out of this console with a hammer. And finally get more than 10mins fun out of it.

or

b) hack it - probably involving 'chipping' it, and replacing the DVD drive myself (this 'dirty' issue seems to be common in about 5% of consoles). And while I'm at it, I'd re-do all the thermal paste, and see about beefing up the internal fans.

But, I'll probably give in, and pay the damn fee. Ho hum.

2 consoles died under extended service contract (Premium non HDMI edition)

Launch unit RROD - replaced with refurb

Refurb unit froze constantly, replaced with 2nd refurb (this one is super loud)

If it dies again I'm going to buy a brand new elite and get this one repaired and ebay it.

Those of you with (or without) problems please detail.

How many have you had? 1

How long have you owned your console? Since Launch

Do you have the original design or the new Falcon 65nm core? Original

Is it a Core, Arcade, Pro, Elite, Halo, etc? PRO

My 2nd console does not suffer from the RRoD issue. However, it is convinced that every single disc I place into it is dirty, or damaged. Even the ones straight out of the shrink-wrap.

I know I already posted but I also want to note that I am getting dirty disc errors or the "this is an xbox 360 disc please place it in an Xbox 360" message on brand new discs sometimes. I found that the disc's underside (the dye) looked very leaky and not normal when I had a disc that was "dirty". i simply returned the disc and got a new one when this happens and the new discs always seem to work. I believe this is a problem with cheap lasers in the drives and quality control at the disc pressing plants.

Buy a new one (with the "Go Pro" or "Go Big" box, which should be a Falcon model) and you'll have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Do the Falcon's really fix all of the 360's RROD/Freezing problems? I know there's still going to be hardware failures, but is it enough to to drastically drop down the failure rates to a 1 digit number?

How many have you had?

How long have you owned your console?

7 or 8 months

Do you have the original design or the new Falcon 65nm core?

original design

Is it a Core, Arcade, Pro, Elite, Halo, etc?

core

NO ROD so far, but it gives some strange noises during cooldown after i turned it off... :p