mount fat32 drive in RedHat 8

i can't mount my fat32 drive :( when i type : mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/C

i get : only root can mount

and if i go and log in as root i can do it but it wont be mounted for my other login

is there any ways to run soemthing as root?? i remember in mandrake i could but i cant find it in redhat

Type su and type your root pass and run the command, If this is what you want.

http://www.tldp.org is a good site for simple questions related for mounting file systems etc.

there are two different things being thrown around here, if you want to a) mount the drive on start up then:

add this line to fstab

/dev/hda1 /mnt/[whatever you want to call this subfolder] vfat defaults 0 0

if this isnt working is check to see if this is actually where your fat32 partition lies to do this, go to terminal and type

fdisk -l

if you just want to mount the drive/partition as a one time deal in a login other than root, then, in terminal type:

su

[your root password]

and then type

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/[whatever you want to call this subfolder] -vfat umask=0000

some may complain about the umask setting and its glaring lack of security, but as youre already logged on this should be fine, since when you log out, the it will be unmounted and not remounted at startup and, if youre having problems with perrmissions, that umask setting should clear it up

to then reliquish your root privlidges:

exit

and then feel free to close the terminal

hope this is of help

there are two different things being thrown around here, if you want to a) mount the drive on start up then:

add this line to fstab

/dev/hda1 /mnt/[whatever you want to call this subfolder] vfat defaults 0 0

if this isnt working is check to see if this is actually where your fat32 partition lies to do this, go to terminal and type

fdisk -l

if you just want to mount the drive/partition as a one time deal in a login other than root, then, in terminal type:

su

[your root password]

and then type

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/[whatever you want to call this subfolder] -vfat umask=0000

some may complain about the umask setting and its glaring lack of security, but as youre already logged on this should be fine, since when you log out, the it will be unmounted and not remounted at startup and, if youre having problems with perrmissions, that umask setting should clear it up

to then reliquish your root privlidges:

exit

and then feel free to close the terminal

hope this is of help

Very nicely put. ;)