Why can't I host LAN games?

Everytime I try to host a LAN game, the other person can't connect to it. This has always happened in Starcraft and RA2 (I play old games ;) ). However, for the longest time I can't host games; the other computer won't see it. But I can join the other computer's games fine. I don't get it.

I don't have anything special set (ports, network settings) that I can think of that would do this. I have no firewall turned on on either computer (tho there is one on the router). No weird ports are opened or closed.

Any ideas? I wanna fix this ;)

Edit: typo

Edited by Tha Bloo Monkee

Yeah lets be sure that when you say "lan game" that your both on the same lan ;)

Also, since you both on the same lan -- is one of the machines wired, the other wireless? Both wireless/wired? etc.

edit: also you mention router.. You only have 1 device or do you have a modem an a router -- is one pc plugged into what you consider the modem, the other into the router?

Do you have any voip devices, etc. How exactly are you PCs connected to the lan, an what are the model numbers of the device(s) that make up your network.

Edited by BudMan

Just a simple network. LAN = no internet, of course we're on the same LAN; it's just the computer I am on now cannot host for some reason, but I can join the other computer's games fine. It's just networked gaming (Networked mode, RA2 uses IPX and Starcraft uses UDP, and Counter-Strike won't work either if I host a game; those are the only games I can think of off-hand).

Router with a modem in the WAN port for internet. Just 2 computers. Both wired. The router is wired only. No VOIP devices. Router is a Linksys BEFSX41 (with built-in firewall; it's about 3 years old).

On the software side both computers are Windows XP. I think I answered all your questions ;) Thanks again.

Can computer 2 ping your IP?

Lets get the basics of connectivity down first.. Can pc2 ping pc1 (one that can not host games), can you access file shares on pc1 from pc2?

I don't actually know what you mean by "ping" :( Yes, I have the Shared folder on each computer shared, and can access them both from each other's computers with no problem.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I know its a bit late to jump into this convo lol, but I have this problem a ton with starcraft.. here's how I go about fixing it:

First I make sure both game versions are the exact same otherwise they won't connect to each other. I fix it by connecting to battle.net and downloading the latest patch.

Second, I make sure either the windows firewall is OFF or has the starcraft exception. Firewalls kill games, it sucks.

Usually by those two steps alone I can start playing via LAN and we're all happy. If you're still having troubles, let me know, I'll go more in-depth with your problem specifically.