XMMS won't open mp3s

Red Hat 8.0, Gnome, XMMS 1.2.7

If I execute an mp3, it opens up the "XMMS Load file(s)" dialog box. I select the mp3, and then I click OK. Nothing happens. I press play, and nothing happens. I tried renaming the file shorter, and with no spaces, and opening it again - nothing. I tried using KDE intead of Gnome, and still nothing. I went back to the dialog, selected the mp3 and pressed "add selected files" and still it did not open. :blink:

Other things I tried:

Right-click, Play File; Play Directory; Play Location.

Executing the mp3 from terminal.

Nautilus: Double clicking on the icon for the MP3, right clicking on the icon and going to Open; Open with X Multimedia System

Looking in the XMMS FAQ.

:wacko:

Until I get this working, no music for me!

Red Hat 8.0, Gnome, XMMS 1.2.7

If I execute an mp3, it opens up the "XMMS Load file(s)" dialog box. I select the mp3, and then I click OK. Nothing happens. I press play, and nothing happens. I tried renaming the file shorter, and with no spaces, and opening it again - nothing. I tried using KDE intead of Gnome, and still nothing. I went back to the dialog, selected the mp3 and pressed "add selected files" and still it did not open. :blink:

Other things I tried:

Right-click, Play File; Play Directory; Play Location.

Executing the mp3 from terminal.

Nautilus: Double clicking on the icon for the MP3, right clicking on the icon and going to Open; Open with X Multimedia System

Looking in the XMMS FAQ.

:wacko:

Until I get this working, no music for me!

Regardless of distro your first cd rom is /dev/sr0 that's a zero.

Contl-L in XMMS and type that using your top dirve to play mp3's

Then Konquer will open and you select what to play by click on the file.