Photo

Can I force search indexing to high priority?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:53

Is there a way to make the search indexer high priority so that it can finish faster? It says speed reduced due to user activity, but I am just browsing the web and maybe writing a word document right now. My old index was about 115k files, so this will take a while at the normal slow speed.
My index was messed up, it wouldn't find a certain file even if I searched the exact name of the file in the same folder its in!

#2 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:09

I run all my systems like this, wish it were still a user accessible option (it is on XP but not on Vista).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gathering Manager

DisableBackoff = 1

Restart the Windows Search service for it to take effect. And don't change anything else in there, or you can really mess things up.

#3 rajputwarrior

rajputwarrior

olé olé olé olé

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:15

I run all my systems like this, wish it were still a user accessible option (it is on XP but not on Vista).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gathering Manager

DisableBackoff = 1

Restart the Windows Search service for it to take effect. And don't change anything else in there, or you can really mess things up.

nice tip brandon... gonna do that on my vista box

#4 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:36

Actually I lied when I said all my systems run like that, my laptop generally does not.

#5 soumyasch

soumyasch

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2009 - 14:17

Actually I lied when I said all my systems run like that, my laptop generally does not.

Doesn't the Fast Forward button on your indexer gadget to the same thing?

#6 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 23 November 2009 - 19:02

Yes it does. This post predated my gadget :)

This tweak should be less necessary on Windows 7. It still works, but the Win7 indexer is already much faster, and already prioritizes indexing of folders you're actually looking at among other things.

#7 Evert

Evert

Neowinian

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:53

If you'd want to tweak this setting on Windows 7 anyway, check out http://blog.tiensivu...that-works.html for details. :-)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!