Photo

Man.. steam is downloading things horribly slow.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Minifig

Minifig

Kun Det Bedste Er Godt Nok!

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:16

I just bought Call of Duty 4, so that I could join in some of the Neowin games and other things, and Steam's downloading it so horribly slow it's not even funny. :(

I don't have much else going on other than using Firefox... it shouldn't take this long.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Edit : Hell its even STOPPED downloading now. :(

--

Edit.. AGAIN: Okay.. thats odd. I opened up the "UPDATER" now it's resuming to download.

Edited by Andrew-DB, 17 January 2008 - 10:36.

#2 Sigurd

Sigurd

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2008 - 13:38

I had alot of trouble downloading the orange box off steam too, was going really slow i just left it on overnight and it sorted itself out.

#3 OblivionStalker

OblivionStalker

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2008 - 18:00

Maybe the servers were overloaded?

#4 downtheory

downtheory

Huggy Bear

Posted 17 January 2008 - 18:08

I noticed the same thing as well. Was at my Uncle`s house the other day and needed to download CounterStrike Source so I could play online with him, I had 20 kb/s download rate, and he has a 10mb cable connection.

Oh and Andrew-DB, I love that avatar :).

#5 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 17 January 2008 - 18:14

They might be routing their connections through the MS Live servers :)

Just checked, they are running incredibly slowly, even starting steam and it checking for updates took a few minutes :(

#6 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXIX

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 17 January 2008 - 20:10

I haven't checked Steam for a while so not sure if its going slow but if it helps I downloaded Orange Box at 450kb/s when I bought it.

#7 Breaker2003

Breaker2003

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:42

I've been trying to download COD4 since LAST wednesday. I normally push 7mips up and 700k down. it is averaging about 100k download but it times out every 15 minutes. i have to shut down steam and thenrestart it. so, within 1 week, I am at 60% (literally). I haven't had this problem before with steam. I even stopped it and uninstalled the client, reinstalled...same effect. No firewalls, nothing else blocking. This is BS!

#8 Kupo-Cheer

Kupo-Cheer

Neowinian Exile

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:46

Its working fine for me. Steam does tend to sometimes randomly drop in download speeds, but most of the time I get maxed to near maxed speeds. I just downloaded the original Half-Life on my other computer last night and it was quick and painless.

#9 tomasarson

tomasarson

i can't control my body

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:53

i've found that if i actually click on the game to open it and let that download screen stay open then things speed a long.

if i just let steam run in the backround or have it on my games list nothing wants to download.

#10 Breaker2003

Breaker2003

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2008 - 23:42

i've found that if i actually click on the game to open it and let that download screen stay open then things speed a long.

if i just let steam run in the backround or have it on my games list nothing wants to download.

I have nothing running. At least I am now at 90%! That averages about 11%/day. Steam better start getting their act together regarding their servers. I will not buy another game from them until it is evident that they have.

#11 tunafish

tunafish

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 January 2008 - 23:46

i am lucky to pull 300kbs from steam, i normally get stuck with 100kb

#12 mk1990

mk1990

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iphone 5

Posted 24 January 2008 - 23:54

steam is CRAP, i loved before they introduced steam, its horrible, alot of experts left, and went back to cs 1.5, i hate it, but i have to deal with it, its been.... almost 8 years of Counter-strike and still going, every update, capped or not, SLOW, good work steam ^^

#13 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 25 January 2008 - 17:54

I have nothing running. At least I am now at 90%! That averages about 11%/day. Steam better start getting their act together regarding their servers. I will not buy another game from them until it is evident that they have.

Valve just push the content out to other servers, if those are slow it's not Valve's fault.

They could fix their downloader (It'll be slow, I'll start the game getting the update and it'll be done in 30 seconds), but the majority of the problems are outside of Valve's control.

#14 Samn9

Samn9

Neowinian

Posted 25 January 2008 - 20:52

Usually things download at about 500kb/s on a 3mb (usually when downloading files from the internet I get about 100kb/s, so it's not bad really) but occasionally it just stops downloading.

Maybe we could email Valve and tell them about our problems? Usually they respond to customer emails.

#15 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

Posted 26 January 2008 - 16:51

last time i downloaded something off steam it was SLOOOOOOOW ! im talking i have a 15 mb cable line and i was pulling 150kbs :/