Man.. steam is downloading things horribly slow.

I just bought Call of Duty 4, so that I could join in some of the Neowin games and other things, and Steam's downloading it so horribly slow it's not even funny. :(

I don't have much else going on other than using Firefox... it shouldn't take this long.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Edit : Hell its even STOPPED downloading now. :(

--

Edit.. AGAIN: Okay.. thats odd. I opened up the "UPDATER" now it's resuming to download.

Edited by Andrew-DB

I noticed the same thing as well. Was at my Uncle`s house the other day and needed to download CounterStrike Source so I could play online with him, I had 20 kb/s download rate, and he has a 10mb cable connection.

Oh and Andrew-DB, I love that avatar :).

They might be routing their connections through the MS Live servers :)

Just checked, they are running incredibly slowly, even starting steam and it checking for updates took a few minutes :(

I haven't checked Steam for a while so not sure if its going slow but if it helps I downloaded Orange Box at 450kb/s when I bought it.

I've been trying to download COD4 since LAST wednesday. I normally push 7mips up and 700k down. it is averaging about 100k download but it times out every 15 minutes. i have to shut down steam and thenrestart it. so, within 1 week, I am at 60% (literally). I haven't had this problem before with steam. I even stopped it and uninstalled the client, reinstalled...same effect. No firewalls, nothing else blocking. This is BS!

Its working fine for me. Steam does tend to sometimes randomly drop in download speeds, but most of the time I get maxed to near maxed speeds. I just downloaded the original Half-Life on my other computer last night and it was quick and painless.

i've found that if i actually click on the game to open it and let that download screen stay open then things speed a long.

if i just let steam run in the backround or have it on my games list nothing wants to download.

i've found that if i actually click on the game to open it and let that download screen stay open then things speed a long.

if i just let steam run in the backround or have it on my games list nothing wants to download.

I have nothing running. At least I am now at 90%! That averages about 11%/day. Steam better start getting their act together regarding their servers. I will not buy another game from them until it is evident that they have.

steam is CRAP, i loved before they introduced steam, its horrible, alot of experts left, and went back to cs 1.5, i hate it, but i have to deal with it, its been.... almost 8 years of Counter-strike and still going, every update, capped or not, SLOW, good work steam ^^

I have nothing running. At least I am now at 90%! That averages about 11%/day. Steam better start getting their act together regarding their servers. I will not buy another game from them until it is evident that they have.

Valve just push the content out to other servers, if those are slow it's not Valve's fault.

They could fix their downloader (It'll be slow, I'll start the game getting the update and it'll be done in 30 seconds), but the majority of the problems are outside of Valve's control.

Usually things download at about 500kb/s on a 3mb (usually when downloading files from the internet I get about 100kb/s, so it's not bad really) but occasionally it just stops downloading.

Maybe we could email Valve and tell them about our problems? Usually they respond to customer emails.

Best tip I can offer is close Steam, and delete the ClientRegistry.blob file in the Steam directory (you'll have to log in next time you start it, so make sure you know your username/password)

It should then go and find the nearest content server to it (they've just added a load from nVidia etc)

It might improve your speeds, it might not (if you end up on the same content server)

I usually get 300 kb/s to 1+mb/s off steam but it has been pretty bad lately. And randomly when I open steam now it says all my orangebox games are downloading 0% and just stays there... I have to verify the files on one of them and then it downloads a bit and works perfectly..

• 1 year later...

Set your download location accordingly, like so:

vrpso5.png

A lot of the time, sadly, some idiots from piracy groups keep trying to DDoS the steam authentication servers to try and force them offline long enough to allow the illegal downloading of games, with the repercussions on other downloads obvious. Although I have to admit, I don't see speed spikes that often, in fact when I brought Bioshock from steam, the files downloaded at a constant throughput of 2.1 MB/s or so

Steam was going slow for me the other day too. Was downloading a smallish update at around 30kb/s :( My connection seemed to be a bit slow at the time though so I half thought it was that!