Photo

PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

universal media server ps3 media server mkv ps3 psp sony

1107 replies to this topic

#16 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 January 2008 - 19:48

with mkv2vob I always get an unsupported codec error on A_AAC, any ideas?

You have a movie ripped with AAC instead of AC3.

MKV2VOB only supports AC3 DTS - 95% of movies are ripped in this.

Only choice is to go with GOTsent in my knowledge, unless someone else knows of another program.

#17 ynnoj

ynnoj

Posted 17 January 2008 - 19:52

You have far too much time on your hands buddy ;)

Awesome guide man, thanks (Y)

#18 Julius Caro

Julius Caro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2008 - 19:58

What about burning larger files (>4gb) onto a double layer DVD? The ps3 is probably going to take half a life to copy it to its own harddrive, but I guess that could work if we use the latest versions of UDF?

#19 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 January 2008 - 20:00

What about burning larger files (>4gb) onto a double layer DVD? The ps3 is probably going to take half a life to copy it to its own harddrive, but I guess that could work if we use the latest versions of UDF?

Doh! :pinch:

I forgot about doing that.

I'll update the guide to reflect with credit.

MP4 files will still have the 4GB limit though, only streaming beats that.

#20 ShawnDude

ShawnDude

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2008 - 20:04

I to store my movies on my media server, because I can view any of the movies on any of my tvs throughout my house. I have only done it with my dvd's so far, as I haven't read much into how to store hi def movies onto my server.

#21 Julius Caro

Julius Caro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2008 - 20:08

I was obsessed with HD playback on the PS3 ever since it was released in Europe. I tried everything, read every forum when they (or should I say we) were trying to figure out what was wrong.
Two things were key: the firmware update that enabled high profile playback in the XMB and having the certainty that x264 encoded files had the level flag set to the highest by default, when it shouldn't have been like that.

If mp4 have that limit, why not use .VOB all along? Even if it's all shady and mysterious how the PS3 is correctly able to read those streams that way, .VOB supports ac3 and all that stuff, and most files come with AC3 anyway.

#22 gunnerhkjp

gunnerhkjp

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2008 - 20:10

Is there any way to make the PS3 automatically play the next file in the folder after the previous file has finished playing?
It seems music files do this, but not the video files.

#23 Huleboeren

Huleboeren

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2008 - 20:11

The reason there is a 4gig limit is because the only filesystem/format the PS3 reads through external harddrives is FAT32
Harddrives formatted in FAT32 have a limit - files cant be larger than 4gigs
If the PS3 supported other filesystems/formats(like NTFS/HFS/ext2 blah blah) through external we wouldnt be having this issue :(

#24 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 January 2008 - 20:18

I was obsessed with HD playback on the PS3 ever since it was released in Europe. I tried everything, read every forum when they (or should I say we) were trying to figure out what was wrong.
Two things were key: the firmware update that enabled high profile playback in the XMB and having the certainty that x264 encoded files had the level flag set to the highest by default, when it shouldn't have been like that.

If mp4 have that limit, why not use .VOB all along? Even if it's all shady and mysterious how the PS3 is correctly able to read those streams that way, .VOB supports ac3 and all that stuff, and most files come with AC3 anyway.

Yup PS3 doesn't support level 5.1, only 4.1. These programs when remuxing the video, change to it 4.1 - One of the major issues for 1080p as well, it doesn't like having it's level changed.

Yeah VOB is the way to go, and it is what I use. People still stick with MP4 though if for whatever reason they must have ff/rw. Pause/Resume works fine on VOB, and if you're watching movies very rarely do you need to ff/rw. As I said though for whatever reason, 1.5x ff on VOB works.

With VOB one other thing I should of mentioned is, if you go to play a file and its a black screen, exit out, and press traingle on the movie and go to "play from beginning" - Just a small bug you might come across.

The reason there is a 4gig limit is because the only filesystem/format the PS3 reads through external harddrives is FAT32
Harddrives formatted in FAT32 have a limit - files cant be larger than 4gigs
If the PS3 supported other filesystems/formats(like NTFS/HFS/ext2 blah blah) through external we wouldnt be having this issue :(

Correct, but wouldn't make a difference with MP4 files.

MP4 files ALSO have a 4GB play limit on the PS3 regardless of what drives the PS3 supports.

This is something thats hard to explain as people get confused, I done my best in my guide to explain it.

PS3 File System - NO size limits.

HOWEVER, the PS3 will only support FAT32 formatted drives - Therefore that is a drive limit of the device you are plugging in.

Now MP4 files, they have a 4GB limit on the PS3 regardless of the file system. No one knows why, but an MP4 file over 4GB will not play on the internal PS3 hard drive.

Streaming is the only way to get an MP4 file over 4GB to play on your PS3.

Is there any way to make the PS3 automatically play the next file in the folder after the previous file has finished playing?
It seems music files do this, but not the video files.

Good question but I dont think so.

Would be useful for 2 part movies (Y)

By the way, I added a FAQ section, and im going to cherry pick the best questions you guys ask! ;)

#25 Keito

Keito

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2008 - 21:08

I'll keep alookout on the original (Dutch) GOTsent topic for you Audioboxer, as I'm also active on that forum

Also, on a side note; if you are a mac user and you're using Mac OS X's native filesystem (HFS) on an external drive, it should also work on your PS3 AND allow files larger than 4GB - note: as far as I know, this is still not something to solve the mp4 4GB issue

#26 Huleboeren

Huleboeren

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2008 - 21:23

I'll keep alookout on the original (Dutch) GOTsent topic for you Audioboxer, as I'm also active on that forum

Also, on a side note; if you are a mac user and you're using Mac OS X's native filesystem (HFS) on an external drive, it should also work on your PS3 AND allow files larger than 4GB - note: as far as I know, this is still not something to solve the mp4 4GB issue

Are you sure?
I thought only the X360 supported the HFS filesystem

#27 Keito

Keito

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2008 - 21:50

Are you sure?
I thought only the X360 supported the HFS filesystem

I couldn't test it as I do not have a mac, nor do I have friends with a mac and PC, it's just what I've heard a couple of times now - yet, I could be wrong

#28 Sam

Sam

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2008 - 21:52

Brilliant guide (Y)

#29 sn00pie

sn00pie

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:02

great guide audio! props to you for helping me out with all this stuff a few weeks ago. :yes:

#30 bitbucket

bitbucket

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:32

+1 vote for sticky