Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

CPN5_m.jpg

hey guys, im looking for new speakers .. well not for me but for my father, and um, they are expensive as, but are they worth the price? (AUD $500+) .

anyone owns them , becuase bose are like the **** when it comes to audio, but is it worth it for the computer ? we sometimes turn up the volume and listen to movies, movies etc. but mainly just surfing the net. is it worth the buy?

NO HIGHS, NO LOWS - MUST BE BOSE

FOR THAT MONEY YOU CAN GET (2) LOGITECH Z-5500 AND HAVE 4X THE SOUND !

(YOU ONLY NEED 1 Z-5500 OBVIOUSLY) YOUR NEIGHBORS WILL HATE YOU EITHER WAY

why was I typing in CAPS ?

Or get some Klipsch - great sound

Bose made a name for themselves by putting out mediocre sound from small speakers -- other than that - its expensive junk - nothing more

If you want an upgrade from your z-680...get the z5500, or Klipsch 5.1 Ultra - either way they are among the best if not the best when it comes to pc surround speakers.

Side Note

Are you running 64-bit OS ? ( I noticed the 4 Gb RAM)

^ what he said.

You pay for looks and one helluva marketing team when you buy Bose.

For PC options for much cheaper, your better off going with Klipsch and Creative Gigaworks, both of which are audio companies with a rich audio history.

Freudian slip? :p

I definitely agree that you should get the z5500s. They're absolutely fantastic. I played around with them at Circuit City the other day and they literally blew me away. I wasn't too impressed with the Bose speakers - as TEX4S said, there's no definition between highs and lows. Go with the z5500s - you won't regret it (and neither will your wallet ;) ).

Bose made a name for themselves by putting out mediocre sound from small speakers -- other than that - its expensive junk - nothing more

If you want an upgrade from your z-680...get the z5500, or Klipsch 5.1 Ultra - either way they are among the best if not the best when it comes to pc surround speakers.

Side Note

nah i know they good, but my dad wants a 2.1 speakers cause its just a room at our house that is like an office, small room but its presentable. but he doesnt want cable or anything but .. the thing is about these speakers is that it has this technology that bose made that makes the sound bounce off the walls so it feels like the sound is from behind.. i know i told him to get the logitech z-5500 but he doenst want it .. oh and btw. my dad had a logitech z-2300 but that ****ed up on us cause theres some sort of static coming from the right speaker when we turn up the volume but we cant get an exchange since we dont have the receipt lol ..

and plus i dont need to upgrade to a z-5500 it aint for me. lol. im happy with my z-680 ..

and um .. yep . Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 RC1 . :ninja: 4 gb is the **** . !

Side Note

z-5500 FTW!

nah i know they good, but my dad wants a 2.1 speakers cause its just a room at our house that is like an office, small room but its presentable. but he doesnt want cable or anything but .. the thing is about these speakers is that it has this technology that bose made that makes the sound bounce off the walls so it feels like the sound is from behind..

HAHAHA. Your dad cracks me up. Honestly, commend him, in the most respectful way possible in buying into the hyperbole of this "audio" company.

For the record Bose didn't invent a think. The idea that they patented a tech years ago that allowed sound to "envelope" the user is ludicrous which served only to prey on an unknowing customer who has yet to be grounded in any form of physics.

Sound travels in the form of waves. Said waves, as dictated by the laws of physics will bounce off of certain objects depending on their material composition (crash course I know). In the audio world, sound quality and presentation is of the up most importance. Accurate reproductions of the recordings sound stage is desired with few detractions from speaker to listeners ear. Lofty goal, but you may ask what does this have to do with Bose? Its quite simple :p

Ya see, when Amar started smoking his wacky tobaccy he decided to capitalize on the average consumers general misunderstanding of audio as a science. The concept was to create a speaker that created/synthesized an enveloping experience and alas the 901's were born.

901ga9.jpg

Just looking at them, is there any way you could tell me that these would create an accurate soundstage for a listening audience? Thats not what they were designed for. All Bose did was ensure that the drives pointed in two radically different directions thus diffusing the sound instead of concentrating into one general listening area where you would normally be placed in the musical sweet spot. Note, no new tech was employed, just a cheap trick.

So you too can simulate this cheap trick of an enveloping sound... just point your speakers away from you so that your ears will not the the primary recipients of sweet musical sounds. Rather they will be last, taking sloppy seconds after all the other hard surfaces have reflected and absorbed the musical frequencies only to deliver an audio experience that can summed up as being :sleep:

HAHAHA. Your dad cracks me up. Honestly, commend him, in the most respectful way possible in buying into the hyperbole of this "audio" company.

For the record Bose didn't invent a think. The idea that they patented a tech years ago that allowed sound to "envelope" the user is ludicrous which served only to prey on an unknowing customer who has yet to be grounded in any form of physics.

Sound travels in the form of waves. Said waves, as dictated by the laws of physics will bounce off of certain objects depending on their material composition (crash course I know). In the audio world, sound quality and presentation is of the up most importance. Accurate reproductions of the recordings sound stage is desired with few detractions from speaker to listeners ear. Lofty goal, but you may ask what does this have to do with Bose? Its quite simple :p

Ya see, when Amar started smoking his wacky tobaccy he decided to capitalize on the average consumers general misunderstanding of audio as a science. The concept was to create a speaker that created/synthesized an enveloping experience and alas the 901's were born.

901ga9.jpg

Just looking at them, is there any way you could tell me that these would create an accurate soundstage for a listening audience? Thats not what they were designed for. All Bose did was ensure that the drives pointed in two radically different directions thus diffusing the sound instead of concentrating into one general listening area where you would normally be placed in the musical sweet spot. Note, no new tech was employed, just a cheap trick.

So you too can simulate this cheap trick of an enveloping sound... just point your speakers away from you so that your ears will not the the primary recipients of sweet musical sounds. Rather they will be last, taking sloppy seconds after all the other hard surfaces have reflected and absorbed the musical frequencies only to deliver an audio experience that can summed up as being :sleep:

Best reply ever. (Y)

I STRONGLY recommend these....http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx

The sound is amazing.

And you can just look at the picture and tell these are "solid" and not cheap at all. And by looking at the bose speakers you can just tell they are probably cheaply made, etc. Most of the time when a speaker is smaller like that you can pretty much gaurantee the sound quality wont be as good, loud. No doubt the bose speakers will sound good but nothing compared to logitech or klipsch.

901ga9.jpg

and now for the speakers, all im asking is, are they good enough for a 2.1 speakers because reviews say that they give you the 5.1 experience from just the 2 speakers and the sub. and i know about waves its caused by vibrations from the speakers that travel and hit the surrounds to create the sound, i know i aint stupid but i read that they put some sort of things in it that make it "bounce" off or send the waves to a certain directions that make the sound come out of that area.

Edited by bmaher

I STRONGLY recommend these....http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx

The sound is amazing.

And you can just look at the picture and tell these are "solid" and not cheap at all. And by looking at the bose speakers you can just tell they are probably cheaply made, etc. Most of the time when a speaker is smaller like that you can pretty much gaurantee the sound quality wont be as good, loud. No doubt the bose speakers will sound good but nothing compared to logitech or klipsch.

they seem nice aye, thanks for the feedback. well like i said, we have the logitech z-2300 and its just stuffing up because of the static cominf from the right speaker and we dont know whats the problem is..

Actually Bose is pretty bad when it comes to audio :/

Go for something else, for computer look at Logitech or something, I hear they are good, although I dont know cause ive never owned computer speakers.

But one things for sure, Bose is overpriced and a piece of rubbish. (Y) They just **** around way too much, why do you think they NEVER publish frequency information on any of their products? There main consumer product, the lifestyle series is the biggest insult to the audio industry ever created. I remember seeing the frequency responses, from some people who did some independent testing and the result were shocking, i think there sub went from like 180-400hz (meaning alot of the sound that is supposed to be coming from left and right channels was coming from a unidirectional subwoofer) there satellite speakers missed frequencies between 1-4khz which is the most common area for vocals etc. Way too many frequencies are just left out. ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!

My recommendation would be some studio/shelf speakers you can get good ones on ebay for around 200$AU, they will do nicely for computer too. Anything made in GB is good, cant be bothered getting into brands too much. Just look for something made in UK

Actually Bose is pretty bad when it comes to audio :/

Go for something else, for computer look at Logitech or something, I hear they are good, although I dont know cause ive never owned computer speakers.

But one things for sure, Bose is overpriced and a piece of rubbish. (Y) They just **** around way too much, why do you think they NEVER publish frequency information on any of their products? There main consumer product, the lifestyle series is the biggest insult to the audio industry ever created. I remember seeing the frequency responses, from some people who did some independent testing and the result were shocking, i think there sub went from like 180-400hz (meaning alot of the sound that is supposed to be coming from left and right channels was coming from a unidirectional subwoofer) there satellite speakers missed frequencies between 1-4khz which is the most common area for vocals etc. ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!

thanks for the information, ill look into that. thanks

ill find you some on ebay give me a sec

sorry cant find any lol, but you should be looking at 'Powered' Book Shelf/Studio Monitor speakers, made in UK. Too many brands to list..

Edited by se7en.hu

I suggest these: http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file...;iproduct_id=24

Altec Lansing FX6021. Amazing sound, and excellent price/performance from Altec. They have 12 drivers, six on each channel. I don't enjoy music on any thing else connected to my computar.

PS: That image of a bose speaker above is not from the small computer model. It's a Bose 901 series, of which my father has a pair. Really nice for the stereo.

Edit: ebay: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

I'm a fairly oppionated person about many things, but when I hear two brand names - Bose and Rolex - my skin actually crawls. The fact that both of these brands enjoy unfounded reputations (and, as a result, can command ultra-premium prices) frustrates and annoys me. They did find out a secret to reaching to that coveted "clueless afluent" crowd: Just charge more than any of your competitiors and spend a lot of marketing to keep your brand name fresh in the public mind. Create a sense of mystique. But above all, charge the most! Apparently, when people think of "the best", they take that to mean "the most expensive". This seems to have done wonders for both Bose and Rolex. (Honorable mention: Rolls Royce)

The fact that people will come into my home theater or game room and remark about my B&W speakers "Why didn't you go for Bose instead of this no-name brand?" is a testament to the power of their marketing. Ironically, the B&Ws cost less than a comparable Bose solution. I am certainly no audiophile (and, frankly, some of those people are a bit too fanatical), but comparing the two yields a night and day difference.

A good read on Bose