Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Legal age to buy a lighter?

53 posts in this topic

Posted

How old do you have to be to buy Lighters where you live?

Why do they even have an age limit?

Posted

I believe it's 18 years old in Canada but they don't really care.

Posted

what are you talking about, never heard of an age limit for lighters ...ever :s

Posted

16 (UK)

because if you're under 16 (legally a minor) and you buy a lighter and burn something down.... its the stores responsibility for providing you with a lighter... i think

Posted

[quote name='RuudJacobs.NET' post='589157108' date='Jan 23 2008, 20:11']what are you talking about, never heard of an age limit for lighters ...ever :s[/quote]
Neither untill the other day

Posted

I saw a guy have to go back out to his vehicle and get his license to buy a lighter at a gas station the other day. And he looked 40!
They said they scan all licenses now for Alchahol and tobacco products

Posted

Oh well they can only be used to start fires and burn yourself and blow up if you aren't careful. No, I wouldn't mind an 8 year old playing with a lighter.

Posted

Here is New Zealand you can be any age to buy lighters, papers and filters. For the actual tobacco you need to be 18 :s

Posted

[quote name='Peter Lyon' post='589157109' date='Jan 23 2008, 20:12']16 (UK)

because if you're under 16 (legally a minor)[/quote]

It's now actually 18 - The age limit was raised late last year mate.

Posted

I have no idea about America, prob. 18.

Mates.

Posted

I have no idea about the actual legal law of buying a lighter, but its always been hit and miss when I was underage, some wouldn't and some would no questions. I think it depends on how you define the illegal safe of "tobacco products".

I used to hate having to bitch about buying a Blunt wrap tobacco leaf to roll up a fatty because I was 18 but a 13 year old could walk in and buy a pipe from the same head shop...

Posted

No limit in America, as far as I know. I've never heard of one.

EDIT: It might be on a state-by-state basis, though. Texas hands out handguns at birth, so I'm pretty sure my state government is OK with kids buying lighters.

Posted

[quote name='kylejn' post='589158154' date='Jan 24 2008, 00:11']EDIT: It might be on a state-by-state basis, though. Texas hands out handguns at birth, so I'm pretty sure my state government is OK with kids buying lighters.[/quote]
:laugh:

Posted

[quote name='kylejn' post='589158154' date='Jan 23 2008, 23:11']No limit in America, as far as I know. I've never heard of one.

EDIT: It might be on a state-by-state basis, though. Texas hands out handguns at birth, so I'm pretty sure my state government is OK with kids buying lighters.[/quote]
mommy baba *bang*

Posted

Things you need to check ID for are achohol, tobacco related products, and behind the counter cold medicine.
I used to work in a common pharmacy down here and theres no age limit on buying lighters.
A lighter can be used for BarBQ's and fireworks and tons more.

Posted

most states age to buy a lighter is the same as the legal smoking age.

Posted

[quote name='Nikv' post='589157103' date='Jan 24 2008, 04:09']How old do you have to be to buy Lighters where you live?

Why do they even have an age limit?[/quote]

never heard of such a thing.... a legal limit to buy a lighter.... i dont think there is one in australia, if there is i neevr heard about it..

as for y, umm no idea

Posted

[quote name='Regression_88' post='589158177' date='Jan 24 2008, 01:30']most states age to buy a lighter is the same as the legal smoking age.[/quote]

I'd be interested to see some documentation of this. I know there is no restriction on them here, and I've never heard of an age restriction on them anywhere else.

Posted

No legal age to buy lighters, any kid can walk in a store and buy one.
:\

Posted

I was a smoker last year, and i went to purchase a lighter at tat stage i was nearly 21, and i had to walk back to work to get my id for me to buy a lighter, i can understand why but it ****ed me off lol, so yes they do ask here in australia, unless you to go a foreign newsagent and they do not really know what you are asking for they to not care at all, my brother who was 15 brought smokes from them, they seem to be in it just for the money.

Posted

Well, when I was 14, I used to get my Zippo serviced at the tobacconist in town. So, um... What?

Posted

I remember when I was 16 I bought myself my first Zippo. Absolutely chuffed to bits. Went to the newsagent to buy some fuel and was told that I needed to be 18.... :rolleyes: :o

Posted

how old do you have to be to light candles, if they are buying it alone, you can't assume the use of it? i worked at a convenience store in canada, and it didn't matter

Posted

having an age limit for that is really pathetic :/

Posted

I think probably about 12, if you know how to use a lighter, then yea guess so.