Compression To The Max!

but imagine if this kind of thing could be applied to streaming video online?

Telling you again: Nothing has compressed, all you see is derived from mathematical formulas they fiddled together.

Nvidia and the rest of them are trying to push so that textures in all future games will be mathematically formulated so that there will be no actually bitmaps or what have you. Apparently this will save a ton of bandwith. Can't remember where I read that (probably in one of the Maximum PC issuesa couple months ago).

Mathematical/fractal algos can just create "random" (repeating) patterns. They're suitable to render sky and water textures and the like, that's about it.

Telling you again: Nothing has compressed, all you see is derived from mathematical formulas they fiddled together.

They use compression on the final product.

In this example they use UPX, a program that can compress executables and DLLs.

When you execute it then it uncompress it and stores it in memory.

Let's remember that this is purely a technique useable for demos and games. It is NOT a codec (as the original poster seems to have misinterpreted it).

It's rare these days to see 64k intros and demos. I remember though, a time when a 64k demo could encompass 30+ minutes of enjoyable effects, and a 4Mb demo could contain over 15 minutes of smooth shaded 3d graphics (in a time before 3d cards), and music with lyrics, with not one single pattern repeating itself (TBL made the one I'm thinking of but I don't remember the name of the demo). Being from Scandinavia, I've been well aware of, and had a great interest in, the demo scene since the first days of the Amiga, and today I'm mostly interested in the amazing C64 demos that some Danish and Swedish groups are churning out (among which groups are some of my best friends who are coders, musicians and pixellers).

On the PC, sadly, those 64- k thingies are more often than not just cracktros (even if yes, they do use DirectX today and can be quite nice to watch).

And, you know, even 3DMark contains a (really nifty) DirectX demo, testament to its Finnish origins.

And this is no joke: if you want to know how compact things can be when coded by hand, take this example that one of my friends did: A Unix-like kernel for the C64, with preemptive multitasking and selective process-killing, in less than 1kb. Not compressed, and capable of running programs (he made a Windows emulator (bluescreen demo) for it).

Many of the 64k demos we see today have also been more or less written in a hex editor, or at the very least in very efficient assembly. Compressing such code is both hard and essentially useless since it's already so small. Odds are, when crunching a well written demo, that its filesize will actually increase.