Sins of a Solar Empire

So I bought the game... played through the tutorials. I found them a little thin given there is so much to do. I think I missed the section on fleet management so I didn't know how to increase the max size of my fleet for awhile.

I'm 3 hours into my first game vs an easy AI on a small map...

Its fun so far. I was hoping the small game would go faster. Its also annoying how their ships can run away so easily so you're chasing them through planetary systems... I guess there is some ability to block or slow down the ability to get into phase lanes?

I just can't understand the fasination reviewers have with this game!

This title attempts to redo a lot of what has already been done in the past namely in "Haegemonia Solon's Heritage".

In almost all areas including graphics and sound Haegemonia still looks amazing and far surpases that provided by Sins of Solar...

As far as gameplay is concerned Haegemonia is unbelievably addictive and I believe, much better than Sins of Solar Empire. Bear in mind that a lot of features in SoSE seem to be modelled on Haegemonia but I think Haegmonia does it more pleasantly.

I don't know why reviews haven't drawn the comparison between the two titles but I would give SoSE 70% (if that).

Please don't consider this as a review but I have both titles (regrettably) and have gone back to Haegemonia!

P.S. If you haven't played Haegemonia then you would probably think it's great but I have played on both sides and I know it's a lot greener on the Haegmonia side.

As someone who doesn't like RTS games, I'd have to stay clear of this game. The fact that games can last upwards of 5-10 hours (I've heard some lasting over a day...yikes) and the fact that you can save multiplayer games in the middle of the action and come back to them - means my RTS hating brain will never be able to wrap itself around this game. Sadly.

:(

i dont get why games should last that long though. u can always play at 2x speed. i agree, i dont' have like days to play 1 game...

maybe a couple of hours max. though i don't mind saving and continuing another day.

• 3 weeks later...

The 1.03 changelog can be found here if you want to see what is included.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?foru...&aid=303642

Some highlights about 1.03:

The new version adds dozens of new features into the game including:

? Many new game setup options such as fleet size, pirate options, income rate speeds, build speeds and more

? Players can use the + and ? keys in single player to control the game speed

? Improved black market provides a more volatile market

? Players who drop can now be placed by cunning computer AI players

? Vastly improved computer AI

? New difficulty level "Unfair" for really hard core players

? Computer players will surrender

? Improvements to Ironclad Online

? Lots of tweaking and balancing based on feedback

? MUCH more?

Was 1.03 released a few days ago?

I was playing this with my friend last night for about 4 hours before I had to go to bed (work at 6:30AM). Love the multiplayer saved feature. So useful. It would suck so much if we had to start the multiplayer session all over again.

Demo now available!

Ironclad Games and Stardock Entertainment are proud to announce the release of the first Sins of a Solar Empire demo! Available at Gamespot, the single-player only demo offers a taste of the full game for those who haven't yet taken the plunge into galactic warfare.

Features:

• Play as the Trader Emergency Coalition (TEC)
  • Learn the basics through four tutorials
  • Fight on two small scenario maps against up to two AI players
  • Conquer a randomly generated medium map against up to three AI players
  • 90 minutes of play time

If you've been waiting to check out Sins of a Solar Empire, head on over to Gamespot for the download today.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sinsof...ad_6188180.html

Game release date: 04-February 08

Demo release date: 21-March 08

It would've been nice if the demo came out before the game. Oh well, I have the full game and I enjoy playing it.

• 3 weeks later...

After Playing it reminds me of Home-world and Home-wold 2. Although with Sins you cant move in a full 3d environment like you could in HW. Great game though. U have to be quick on your toes with a lot of the enemies. Otherwise you get slammed.

Love it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for our friends in Europe! :)

Stardock Entertainment and Kalypso Media are pleased to announce the signing of an agreement that will finally bring Sins of a Solar Empire to retail stores throughout Europe.

The game will start appearing at retail beginning in late May/early June, though no specific dates have yet been set. We'll post more information as soon as it becomes available.

Good and bad news. The good one is that the game will be released in Europe and Asia. The bad is that they want to rob us again. It is like we have more money than the Americans. The European price will be 63$.

Damn these faulty excuses that companies make for more money. They really show their inner side when they set the price.

Greeeeeedyyyy.

Good and bad news. The good one is that the game will be released in Europe and Asia. The bad is that they want to rob us again. It is like we have more money than the Americans. The European price will be 63$.

Damn these faulty excuses that companies make for more money. They really show their inner side when they set the price.

Greeeeeedyyyy.

$63 is way too much. The game retailed for $39.99 in Canada when it was released. I'm sure it was the same price or even cheaper in the US.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note that the 1.05 patch was released.

Changelog: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/312188

* Fixed bug deallocating particle pool memory.

* Fixed cargo ship related crash caused when loading a saved game.

* Increased the maximum length of map description text. If the text is too long, it will no longer crash the game.

* AI missions no longer continue if a human player has taken over for them.

* AI controlled units will no longer still have AI-control if a human player has taken over for them.

* Fixed crash when attempting to toggle the autocast state for an uncontrollable ship/planet module.

* Fixed capturable resource mines from being considered damageable.

* Fixed sync error in multiplayer games caused by cannon autocast targetting.

* Fixed squad owner infocards to gracefully handle large numbers of squads (100+).

* Fixed crash if you run out of video memory when loading textures.

* Planet asteroid setup now uses TotalMaxResourcesAsteroids parameter again.

* Added two new maps: Melting Point and Ancient Gifts.

* ICO accounts will now be forced to logout if you attempt to login with the same account.

* Malice changed to fix CPU issues in the late game due to previous implementation of the ability. Malice now accumulates damage on affected targets and then spreads that damage when the buff expires, rather than spreading damage as soon as damage is applied. Its duration, cooldown and AM cost have all been reduced to reflect this. Malice is now target capped as well at 8/16/24 targets.

* Fixed bug in galaxy generator related to vertical planet offsets when planets are too close together.

* New default texture quality settings set.

Amazing detail for such a compact file size (~2 GB) compared to all the big games out there right now. It was a fun strategy game to play.

Was?

Just like BF1942 when it first came out, Sins of a Solar Empire is the ONLY game I play right now. In fact, next week a few friends and I are going to get together for a 24-hour+ LAN game(s).

I haven't had any issues so far, so 1.05 didn't really change a whole lot for me. Looking forward to 1.1 though.

Free as in money or free as in gameplay?

Online multiplayer is free as long as you own the game.

With the different maps, decent customization options and map generator, games can play out differently. There's still just one path to victory, but it can take different twists and turns each time you play.