A computer shop's sales pitch: 'We remove Vista'

I've used win98, and was happy switching to win2k, but i didnt switch to win xp, xp gold was problematic. i eventually switched to xp sp1, then sp2, and surely sp3 when its out. but, im definitely not switching to vista. ive tried it, didn't like it for many reasons.

So if a paying customer asks for you to put XP on their machine, you will tell them they are an idiot?

I'm sure business isn't going too well for you...

And the sign seems like a good way to make money, I see nothing wrong with it. Lots of beginner computer users don't like change so they will pay good bucks to get XP back on.

Yes Prickly Poo, youre amazing indeed.... LOL

To be called a noob or a 'beginner user' just because you don't enjoy the Vista experience is laughable. During my last build I set aside money to buy a legit Vista license but after trying it out via the 30 day activation grace period (Yes, I know it's not supposed to be a trial), I used that money to buy XP. I have the hardware but there were just too many things that bugged me that I don't think Microsoft is going to fix because they consider them to be features. It seemed like in an effort to make things easier for regular users, they alienated power users. Windows Explorer felt butchered, the start menu got even more bloated, new apps thrown here and there that will never see new features, etc. It just wasn't for me and apparently I'm not the only one that feels this way.

We expect mature posts. Posting on Neowin is not a right, and we want everyone to add their views in a mature way. If you can not do that, please do not post at all.

Thread cleaned

I did.

XP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

Vista: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

The rest of your post seems to be filled with anger issues.

Easier just to use the categories really.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....;name=Microsoft

Either way theres barely any difference unless you're buying retail versions.

Hell of a flamebait post from Ry there though. I'm not usually impressed by that sort of thing.

What do you mean? With service pack 3 slated for release soon i dont think microsoft will drop the ball on xp just yet. Along with, the news sources does not state what kind of xp he is using, since if he is using a corp. edition then he is already set with activations and what not
You can/will be able to buy volume licenses from MS, and bulk licenses.

You both do understand how MS licenses work don't you?

Volume Licensing Editions are not avalible to the general public... They have to be purchased in a min. of 5 from a Volume License Reseller and are licensed to ONE entity.

Meaning, if the customer still wants XP after MS cuts off Retail and OEM sales they'll have to buy 5 copies of XP to instal ONE. If that becomes the trend I think i'll figure out how to become a Volume License Reseller as that will give MS and the resellers a major profit boost.

The store can't buy them in bulk and sell the individually to customers as that would be a violation of the license agreement or their seller agreement (if they can sell Volume License editions). That would mean the customers AND the store and simply pirating...

I can see both sides of the debate, but once MS cuts retail and OEM sales Vista will be given the mainstream support by software and hardware makers. Sadly, those customers will probably end up buying Vista again. I think its unethical to not make sure the customer understand the implications of their decision and the way the industry works.

i remember when i was still working at a tech support job and vista just came out.....so many people were calling for us to give them xp back (too bad we were an isp and couldnt do anything for them lol)

LOL :laugh:

To be honest I agree with them. If they're going to charge ?20 - ?40 then its probably not worth there while.

Its a service, people don't have to choose them.

what happened to the post i was replying to

I like Windows Vista. Unfortunately, my computer performance will be an issue on Vista. There are a few applications that I really need to use which Windows Vista will not allow. Although "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor" report that my computer is capable of running Vista "Business Edition" perfectly, I rather use Ultimate. On my personal experience with Vista, after installing all drivers properly and reset the score, my Vista becomes a bit sluggish and it resolve the problem by lower my graphic card DirectX display to a low resolution. My desktop resolution and color bits are the same but the DirectX output reveals otherwise. Video music that are high-def are now played at low resolution but stretched back to its original aspect ratio size as though the video source has been like that from the beginning.

Also certain vital applications and/or games does not work with Vista. This is why I went back to XP time and time again. SP1 is coming out soon and I will try Vista one more time. I doubt that I will stick with Vista.

It seemed like in an effort to make things easier for regular users, they alienated power users.

I find this statement very true. As we can see alot of people who have used computers longer than the average users seems to dislike Vista. To some extent the average users who are just beginning to familiarize themselves with XP seems to be wanting to stick with XP for quite sometimes too. I find it very hard to believe that some people really want to shove all their believes and experiences of Vista up someone else behind. I go back to XP not simply because I don't know how to use Vista. Because alot of capability that was previously on XP are taken out and many company still did not upgrade their software to work with Vista. I can list so many reasons why I keep going back to XP everytime I try Vista on my PC. I think people should respect that.

I haven't run across much software incompatibility at all since the June/July timeframe (with the compat updates of course.)

As for the capabilities and power user stuff, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've used computers since my Apple 2+ (...) so I think I qualify as using longer than the average, yet I love Vista. And Vista adds a lot of capabilities (I always hated the idea of paying extra for DVD playback and such, and the new backup tools in Ultimate may not be perfect but they're a good start, among other things.)

I do respect that everyones experience is different, but I honestly think a lot of people give Vista short shrift simply because its different, not because it's actually worse in any way. Average people don't understand Windows XP either, they just know how it worked for what they wanted to do.

The most ironic thing to me was all the complaints about the UI changes when it's so easy to find whatever you need (say typing in 'network' to get to the Network and Sharing center instead of the old method of hunting everything down link by link.)

MS is likely to keep with the Vista methods of doing things for several more OSes so pushing people back towards XP does seem ill advised, although I'd of course let them especially if they're having unsolvable issues, they won't learn anything and they'll end up with obsolete software longer. That won't help them at all in the long run. Myself, I'd far rather set people up with a dual boot so they had the familiar when needed but could keep the newer OS' benefits.