0 bytes of space left on the C: drive

Lol well I just uninstalled Kaspersky (as it was up now and I would have had to re-new it anyway) and installed the free 30-day trial of ESET Smart Security (the same people who do the NOD32 Anti-virus, just to try it).

When I removed Kaspersky, that 29GB folder of crap disappeared and now I have 26.6GB free on Drive C:\ and 16GB free on Drive E:\ which is perfect for me at the moment, much better than the 424KB I had free on Drive C:\ earlier :p

So, I'd just like to say a BIG thank you for all the people who helped me :) I'm very grateful, as my problem is now sorted :)

It was TreeSize Free which found the problem, so thank you very much WarStorm for suggesting it! :)

Even i got same problem today morning. And i know it for sure that this is a virus .

I have Windows-vista with 250GB hard disk. I hardly had 47GB full and all of sudden today morning my laptop said hard disk full 0 bytes left the talk bar kept popping message that " Low disk space " when i checked my c: it said " 0 bytes left or 0 bytes remaining " .

I was sure that its virus. I deleted ( permanent delete ) 18 GB worth of data, and i what i wated blew my mind. I kept checking the disk space on c: ( by right clicking the c: and then properties ) and every time i did it the free spce was reducing very fast .. from 18GB to 18.5Gb..to..17GB..and..16.5 GB...so on... and within 40 min all my free space is gone again. Hence i concluded that its a virus ....

My D: has 4GB free so i guess this virus is attacking only C: not other drive.

I tried running anti virus scan but as the anti virus needs disk space i was unable to launch it. I tried running online antivirus check and same problem happened .... they failed to complete telling " no space left" ...... no i am pulling my hairs out ...

I can launch and use some application like Internet explorer which doest need hard disk space ( for sinple web browsing Internet explorer need RAM not hard disk as it don't need temp space )...

i searched the web for same problem but fond only this thread as more close to my problem ( other thread reported that they are facing similar problem but they had 300Mb of free space etc )... this thread was stared on 5-feb-2008 and i was hit with this bug on 10-5-2008 ... that worst case may be that this is the newest virus ...that means that no present antivirus will be able to detect it ... thats the worst thing to happen ....GOD...grrrrrrr ...

Dear, +cjr,

If you have found a solution ( or atleast share your exp about what you did ) to the above problem please send me a email at sunflower_and_moonflower@yahoo.com . I will highly appriciate your help.

Readers ,

I am 100% sure that its a Virus, can any body give me a suggestion for how do i fix this ? . I told you before that i cant run ant virus software not even online one. Please tell what else i can do. Does any one at lest confirm me if this is new virus or its a old virus ...

Any sort of help will be highly appriciated ....

Thanks

Sunflower2000

Hey sunflower2000, I will talk you through my problem and solution.

Problem:

Basically, I had the exact same problem as you, however, I sometimes had 0 bytes left and sometimes a little bit (e.g. 151MB or 43KB). Also I was able to open anti-virus programs, but I wasn't able to open Adobe Photoshop or save things like Paint images (because of lack of space).

Solution:

I found out what the problem was using a prgram called TreeSize Free [http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml]. This program was amazing and after it scanned Drive C:\, it found a massive folder, taken up by my Kaspersky anti-virus, called 'Reports' which was 29GB. I uninstalled my anti-virus, as it was becoming out of date anyway, and it got rid of the folder and left me with 29GB free on my C:\ drive, which is exactly what it should have. It would have probably worked if I'd had just simply deleted the folder itself, rather than uninstall the program.

So bascially, that was my problem solved and I found out it wasn't a virus at all.

Do you run Adobe Photoshop or Kaspersky Antivirus/Internet Security?

Whether you do or not, it would be beneficial to you to run TreeSize Free, scan the C:\ drive and see if it picks up ANY file or folder which is an enourmous size (e.g. over 1GB would be cause for cancern, apart from the 'WINDOWS' and 'Program Files' folders, in my opinion). Tell us what you find and if you are unsure whether it is safe to delete, ask someone on this thread and they should be able to help.

It may turn out that your problem is not a virus and just a lot/or one big file/s or folder/s that are un-needed. However, it could still be a virus. Just run TreeSize and let us know the results :)

I hope my post has helped? :)

Another useful more visual program like TreeSize is WinDirStat, highly recommended. :) (apologies if it was already mentioned)

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks +Cjr , I guess my case is different then yours. I am 100% sure that its a virus. I freed up 18Gb and with in 30 min, all the my disk space is eaten up ...

Friends , Any suggestion how do i get rid of this virus ???? i cant run any applications :(

Another useful more visual program like TreeSize is WinDirStat, highly recommended. :) (apologies if it was already mentioned)

I think spacemonger is better... and has a free version.