Linksys WMB54G will not work, missing CMAudioW.dll?

I was trying to set up the Linksys WMB54G (wireless music bridge)on a new vista home premium (32bit) laptop. I was having problems getting the laptop to find the WMB54G through the ethernet port, so I set it up on an XP laptop. It worked with no problems.

So I went to set it up on the new vista laptop. This time it did connect and all seemed well. Then the laptop said it needed to restart to finish, so I restarted it. When it was all back into fully loaded windows again, it comes up with a problem that says it is missing CMAudioW.dll and the application crashed and needs to close. It says to reinstall the program.

I searched all my harddrives, and sure enough, no trace of this CMAudioW.dll file. Is this a file that is specific to XP?

Is there a fix for this problem?

Any ideas?

i guess there are no ideas.

Should I try copying the program files folder from the XP computer to the vista computer? the xp computer's program files folder contains the missing file.

Will copying that folder screw up the vista machine?

• 1 month later...

I found that linksys has released drivers and a firmware update to make this work in vista. I hope anyone else looking to use this handy item will first check linksys.com for the updated drivers and firmware.

As a note, you must uninstall any old drivers and software first, and then install the driver, and then update the firmware and it will work. I couldn't get my auto network configure to work, but I was able to set it up using the manual configuration.

I do have vista and now have this working perfectly. If anyone has any questions please feel free to message me or post in this thread.

• 1 year later...
I found that linksys has released drivers and a firmware update to make this work in vista. I hope anyone else looking to use this handy item will first check linksys.com for the updated drivers and firmware.

As a note, you must uninstall any old drivers and software first, and then install the driver, and then update the firmware and it will work. I couldn't get my auto network configure to work, but I was able to set it up using the manual configuration.

I do have vista and now have this working perfectly. If anyone has any questions please feel free to message me or post in this thread.

I'm having trouble getting this to work on Win 7 (evaluation version). I'm assuming the fix is similar to that for vista, but have been unable to get it to work by any of the ways I've read about online.

Also, Linksys support won't help me with Win 7 until the official release later this month.

I have already updated firmware and software from the Linksys website. Is it important to do the driver before the firmware? I think I did it in the other order, though I don't remember for sure.

As it stands now, the music bridge utility shows up in my start menu since it was recently installed, but when I try to open it nothing really happens.

Help?