Mac's will always be more expensive than PC's

mac's are way overpriced. i can do everything and more with a pc, besides for the money apple wants for a mac i could put together a beast of a pc system, that would surpase the capability of a mac. /end

That depends on what you want. You might be able to do "more" with a PC but I like the Mac OS X interface, usability, ... more than I like Windows'. I also like to be "safe" not thinking about viruses or other non-useable files going around on the internet. It's all a matter of personal choice but I wouldn't say a PC can do more, unless you're a gamer.

Yes, I actually hope that Macs don't come on top. Just think of all the noobs who switched to Macs.

Everyone was a "noob" before, we all had to learn so why not let new people learn by teaching them your knowledge.

but I like the Mac OS X interface, usability, ... more than I like Windows'. I also like to be "safe" not thinking about viruses or other non-useable files going around on the internet.

Linux.

Linux.

Linux also has that ability, feature, ... but note the 'also' in my topic. I didn't only pick Mac OS X for that reason but I chose it for that and other reasons.

i had a look at some price for parts upgrades on apples sites... $250 for 1GB of DDR2 667 ram :blink: or $250 for 160GB hard drive... :blink:

and the price for upgrades is exactly why i dont do Mac, for about $300 i could have a brand new computer with a new prrocessor m/b and ram to match

Linux.

Too many issues.

- Poor software management

- Still relatively poor compatibility

- WLAN? Sigh, a joke.

- Too fragmented - too many distributions, too many packaging systems. A complete mess.

Simply takes too much valuable time to either fix existing issues or rolling out systems that work "properly" without needing constant maintenance or changes if taken out of the usual environment (such as laptops - power management is STILL an issue, suspend/hibernation is still flakey at best).

Great for servers, totally craptastic for desktops.

mac's are way overpriced. i can do everything and more with a pc

I could drive a Lada to work but I'd rather drive a BMW - hence I'd rather take a Mac where I can get the job done with a minimum of hassle compared to using Windows where you tend to spend too much time on tuning or tweaking something to work instead of just getting the job done.

Edited by daPhoenix

With a Mac, you're not just paying for it's tech specs. Your paying for it's design and Mac OS X. But correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Mac Pro cheaper than a similarly configured Dell?

With a Mac, you're not just paying for it's tech specs. Your paying for it's design and Mac OS X. But correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Mac Pro cheaper than a similarly configured Dell?

There was this comparison picture a few weeks back where the Dell was a little more expensive than the Mac. The difference wasn't high though.

and the price for upgrades is exactly why i dont do Mac, for about $300 i could have a brand new computer with a new prrocessor m/b and ram to match

Pretty lame reason given that many macs are easily upgradeable with parts from other sources making the cost difference irrelevant.

and if you look at the current pc market... not many new desktop pc's come with a display anymore. and some are tower only so its still a byomkd bring your own mouse deyboard display..........

so the mac mini isnt too over priced of similar desptops. when macs actually come with software not trial ware and crapware imo

and if you look at the current pc market... not many new desktop pc's come with a display anymore. and some are tower only so its still a byomkd bring your own mouse deyboard display..........

so the mac mini isnt too over priced of similar desptops. when macs actually come with software not trial ware and crapware imo

Yes, but you can build a desktop PC with much better specs (larger HD, dedicated video card, faster CPU etc) for less money.

Ive used a mac at school a few times a month for my school paper, and although its nice, I don't see how its worth so much more then a PC.

I love how that when I was applying for a job as a photographer's assistant, they wanted me to have a macbook with photoshop and my dell laptop with vista and photoshop wouldn't cut it, even with better specs.

Yes, but you can build a desktop PC with much better specs (larger HD, dedicated video card, faster CPU etc) for less money.

Ive used a mac at school a few times a month for my school paper, and although its nice, I don't see how its worth so much more then a PC.

I love how that when I was applying for a job as a photographer's assistant, they wanted me to have a macbook with photoshop and my dell laptop with vista and photoshop wouldn't cut it, even with better specs.

You probably could . . . but:

OS X

Generic PC won't run OS X legally or easily. It's all part of the Apple "User Experience."

As to your job application: they probably took into account the downtime you'll be experiencing when trying to use (fix) Vista, and simply preferred you make better use of your time using a Mac. I'll take a guess that most businesses that rely on Macs don't have a very large IT dept, lol.

I really can't blame some businesses that this point, who discourage the use of Vista on their premises.

Edited by LTD

a desktop pc might be cheaper/faster than a mac mini for the $ but it won't have the small form factor that the mini has which is big part of the selling point for the mini. as soon as a manufacturer(like asus nova p20) tries to compete with the mini on equal terms they frequently work out more expensive.

the same also applies to some extent with other apple products like the mac pro and the macbook air.

I could live with the idea that they will be expensive because - they are made by the same OS developer and thoroughly tested to work with it's own OS as well as the design and developement work they have to put into it themselves. ;)

Microsoft just builds software for equipment made by other companies.. Microsoft may not be able test every possible configuration you can get from PC vendors. And we know that people still are going to install drivers not signed by Microsoft especially video card drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the price has anything to do with their position in the market. Your old "tried and true" PCs are expensive as hell (Dell XPS line, Alienware, etc.). What the difference is, I think, is that Windows is everywhere. People are use to it, people are familiar with it, and people have adapted to its little "quirks".

The Mac hasn't really soared because I don't think it offers much more than what a Windows PC could do. Of course there are some people out there that require special programs that's only found on the Mac, but as awareness of Open Source alternatives arise, I think people will become less dependant on large, commercial operating systems anyway. The iPod did give Apple the kick in the ass it needed to get their name floating around again, but until they truly reinvent the way we use our computers or create something innovative within their own machines, they'll always be known as "the other Microsoft."

I don't think the price has anything to do with their position in the market. Your old "tried and true" PCs are expensive as hell (Dell XPS line, Alienware, etc.). What the difference is, I think, is that Windows is everywhere. People are use to it, people are familiar with it, and people have adapted to its little "quirks".

The Mac hasn't really soared because I don't think it offers much more than what a Windows PC could do. Of course there are some people out there that require special programs that's only found on the Mac, but as awareness of Open Source alternatives arise, I think people will become less dependant on large, commercial operating systems anyway. The iPod did give Apple the kick in the ass it needed to get their name floating around again, but until they truly reinvent the way we use our computers or create something innovative within their own machines, they'll always be known as "the other Microsoft."

I agree with most of your points, too bad you'll be heavily flamed on this forum, though. Good luck to you.

I certainly don't think this is the "year of Linux," or even next year for that matter. But I do think open source as a whole will become much more of a viable alternative. If you watch presentations by people like Jeff Han who are working on concepts similar to the Microsoft Surface, we are moving in a direction where we won't even need OS interfaces anymore, they will just disappear and work like you expect. In other words, I think eventually, we'll get to the point where every manufacturer will have their own simple OS of sorts powering their devices, and we'll no longer need on almighty corporation adapting a one-size-fits-all OS for the device.

I think eventually, we'll get to the point where every manufacturer will have their own simple OS of sorts powering their devices, and we'll no longer need on almighty corporation adapting a one-size-fits-all OS for the device.

I don't think that will be possible, what about software programs like adobe? I don't think adobe will make their softwares compatible with all different configurations and OS. This is not going to be a reality for a long time, at least until exist some kind of common SDK in all devices.

I don't think that will be possible, what about software programs like adobe? I don't think adobe will make their softwares compatible with all different configurations and OS. This is not going to be a reality for a long time, at least until exist some kind of common SDK in all devices.

That's why I said "eventually." Do you think we will be using a fixed keyboard and mouse forever? Of course not, we are already starting to move away from that, and that's my point. Eventually, we will no longer be able to use the "one-size-fits-all" mentality of Windows and OS X. Every piece of hardware will needs its own tiny OS to function.

You probably could . . . but:

OS X

Generic PC won't run OS X legally or easily. It's all part of the Apple "User Experience."

As to your job application: they probably took into account the downtime you'll be experiencing when trying to use (fix) Vista, and simply preferred you make better use of your time using a Mac. I'll take a guess that most businesses that rely on Macs don't have a very large IT dept, lol.

I really can't blame some businesses that this point, who discourage the use of Vista on their premises.

I've spent a lot of time around macs, and i can tell you, i've found them far less stable than my pc, maybe my (vista) pc is somehow lucky, or maybe all the macs i've used were just unlucky, but, from my own experience at least, that statement is completely invalid, and i would hazzard a guess at blatant, advertising fueled fanboyism.

Not meaning to offend you, but seeing that made me seethe