I installed Red Hat 8.0

OK, two days ago I decided that I'd try Red Hat Linux 8.0. I thought, there's all this news on how Linux will take over the desktop and how its the best thing since sliced salami.

Well, I installed it and here are the pro's / con's I found in points :

* Two CD Install? Wow I thought Windows was hog (Workstation install selected.

* All hardware installed and tested working. Cool

* Linux installed a freeware OpenOffice product. Nice.. Productivity!

* Linux Boot up (graphical -> xwindows) - Cool, very mac like startup.. IMHO

* Navigating around the volumes - What is it doing? Grind grind grind ("grind" refers to hdd sound not my teeth, although..... :) )

* Launching OpenOffice - Hallo?!? Grind grind grind - is the gerbil dead, this is a fast P4 with ATA100/7200 RPM.

* Hmm, I want to surf the internet.... Mozilla... UGH.... I can see why their market share is dropping like a lead balloon.

* Linux Applets - I though I had good reason to complain about MS's applets, well, no more.... Linux ones in the standard install are plain ugly with very basic functionality... WMP9 is sweet!

IMHO... Is linux ready for the desktop : :devil: Hell No! :devil:

Slow - and the main menu is cluttered to say the least... UGH...

Just my 2c worth...

Shouldn't this be in the Unix/Linux distro section? Anyway when I installed RH8 my only prob was that I couldn't get the fonts to look nice on Mozilla so I use Konqueror instead, fonts look a tad nicer.

Edited by Panorama

OK, two days ago I decided that I'd try Red Hat Linux 8.0. I thought, there's all this news on how Linux will take over the desktop and how its the best thing since sliced salami.

Well, I installed it and here are the pro's / con's I found in points :

* All hardware installed and tested working. Cool

* Linux installed a freeware OpenOffice product. Nice.. Productivity!

* Linux Boot up (graphical -> xwindows) - Cool, very mac like startup.. IMHO

* Navigating around the volumes - What is it doing? Grind grind grind ("grind" refers to hdd sound not my teeth, although..... :) )

* Launching OpenOffice - Hallo?!? Grind grind grind - is the gerbil dead, this is a fast P4 with ATA100/7200 RPM.

* Hmm, I want to surf the internet.... Mozilla... UGH.... I can see why their market share is dropping like a lead balloon.

* Linux Applets - I though I had good reason to complain about MS's applets, well, no more.... Linux ones in the standard install are plain ugly with very basic functionality... WMP9 is sweet!

IMHO... Is linux ready for the desktop : :devil: Hell No! :devil:

Just my 2c worth...

i must agree with you

btw RH8.1 is 3cd (i thought RH8 was too but i dunno), yes, very big for a whole lot of nothing

Shouldn't this be in the Unix/Linux distro section?

yes it should, anyways I liked RH in the beginning but now I don't like linux much anymore, I WANT TO PLAY GAMES DAMMMITTT!!!?!?!?! if uni cant play no games uni no make no monay, if uni no make no monay, uni no get no car.... :whistle: :rofl: anyways will Linux make it to the desktop world, :rofl: you must be kidding me. too much work to do in it to make it work to your tastes

Linux isn't all that great right out of the box, you actually have to put some work into it :o

That's why it's for the people who really like to mess with their OS. Linux isn't for the lazy man, it's for the man who likes to toy around with every odd and end until he gets it the way he wants it. If you know what you're doing, you can get it a lot better than Windows. And who says you have to install all 3 cds? That's just all optional software, with Windows it makes you install the whole boatload.

A lot of words but... I'm not so sure what exactly it is about it you aren't liking.

I understood:

- don't like Moz (for whatever reason)

- OpenOffice is slow to startup (it is, but not a big deal)

- linux applets ugly (???)

- the menu is cluttered (well obviously, there are a lot of packages you allowed to be installed by default)

Why blame linux for OpenOffice being slow to startup or blame Mozilla? That's like blaming Windows for Adobe Photoshop being a RAM hog, or blaming Windows for OpenOffice being slow... :unsure:

A lot of words but... I'm not so sure what exactly it is about it you aren't liking.

I understood:

- don't like Moz (for whatever reason)

- OpenOffice is slow to startup (it is, but not a big deal)

- linux applets ugly (???)

- the menu is cluttered (well obviously, there are a lot of packages you allowed to be installed by default)

Why blame linux for OpenOffice being slow to startup or blame Mozilla? That's like blaming Windows for Adobe Photoshop being a RAM hog, or blaming Windows for OpenOffice being slow... :unsure:

Well. Linux guru Mr Linus says that Linux will take over the world...

I tell you, with the performance of XWindows and the Office Suite (one of two?) OpenOffice, being as unresponsive as it is. How can anyone in their right mind say that Linux will take over the desktop?

I know I could probably make Linux run faster if I tweaked, but I install Windows and without tweaking it flies on my computer.. Why would I want anything less? Why would I want Linux for my desktop? :wacko:

Granted, Linux is a good Quake server / Mail Server etc... But Desktop? Not likely... This decade anyway.

:whistle:

if you know what you are doing Linux is a much much better OS.

you on the other hand doesn't.

did you even try to figure out why it's "Grind grind grind". doesn't look like it.

same with everything else you complained about.

from your review i can confidently say you spent at most 30min "reviewing" linux. booted it up, looked around, deleted it.

linux biggest advantage is it's FLEXIBLE. you can customize everything to your liking. same can not be said about windows.

and it's more than apartment you do not see this.

I was looking at linux from an end user - a noobie...

I personally have a Quake server at home and it runs well, but trying to look at it from the side of a new person to computers, choosing Linux over WXP.

Overall Linux does not make computing easy on the desktop. IMHO

Overall Linux does not make computing easy on the desktop. IMHO

You are correct. It does not. Until Linux becomes "standardized" it will remain this way. Linux is not for the lazy. You need to work at it. You customize it to your taste. If this is not for you, then fine. I prefer Linux because i don't like being told how my computer should run. With Linux the possibilities are endless.

As previously stated, Linux requires work and dedication. It also requires a lot of fault tolerance, if something doesn't work right away, you can't just give up and say 'hey, i quit.. this is too hard'. If your only intention to try Linux is because everyone else is doing it, you don't want to be left out and jump on the bandwagon to see what's it all about.. then chances are, it's not for you.. and the most likely thing you'll get out of it is, FRUSTRATION..

So, unless you have an "open source" mind, you shouldn't open a can a of Linux (or any other NON-Windows OS for that matter)..

"Don't Blame the OS, Blame the User!"

? did you open open office more than once? The first couple of starts it asks to setup addressbook, and then if you want to reg.. Its still not a real fast starter - but starts after the first couple are faster than that 1st one.

As to the point about 2 or 3 CDS - um, do you understand what is on all three?? This includes your office products, multiple browsers, 2 different database servers, multiple webservers, games!, Gnome and or KDE, etc.. etc.. etc... Graphic and sound programs, multiple IRC/IM clients both text and gui, multiple language compilers - plus the libs required to compile, etc.. etc.. etc.. The LIST goes on and on! Multiple software packages for burning CD's, DVD's, etc.. Text publishing software. Most anything can be done in both a gui and shell. Multiple Servers, chatting, FTP, News, DNS, a windows emulater (wine), support for accessing windows networks, a list of system related tools a mile long, engineering software, multiple Email servers, etc.. etc.. etc..

If you do not want all of these things - then you can find a distro that is alot smaller. But stating that it used 2 CD's - come on! The complete set is 6 CDs - 3 full of software packages, 2 complete source code for everything on the 3 CDs, and then a doc CD..

You have to be kidding me.

Maybe try and find out what packages do . Read the discription. IF you installed httpd, bind? Are you going to run a web server? Dns server? Maybe if you would disselect some it would not be so big. And you think 2 is big by the time you got all software installed that the 2 linux cd's did you would have done 10+ in windows. Photoshop, webserver, ftp program, office etc.

* Navigating around the volumes - What is it doing? Grind grind grind ("grind" refers to hdd sound not my teeth, although..... )

I have a 366 celeron that is going very fast thru the windows. Dont have a clue what you did her with a P4 and 7200 rpm. Maybe an install error. RH8 on mine flies

Like the other person said. Does set up for the first few times. Be a little patient. At least you did not have to reboot 4 time to install the damn thing, and that is not even the updates.

Have you actually read the test reports. Mozilla/phoenix are faster than ie. Unless you go to a site designed specifically for IE.

Again this would be the fact that you installed way too much stuff.

People need to realize that Linux is faster to do things than MS crap. I can do anything in Linux than windows can. Maybe not a few games but the new ones run on wine. Redhat is helping noobies with rpm packager. If you still complain about responceiveness feel then why dont you look into prelinking? Linux is for the desktop. I bet if you had 2 kids both with no knowledge of computer and sat one in front of linux and the other in front of XP they would both learn at a comparable rate. Just the fact that most users are winidots and "if it cant be done in a GUI then it is just not right" When will people learn that a command line is more powerful than a GUI and faster. Tab completion is great. History is another time saver. If you dont like to type, write a script. I have a script that i have to type "kernel" and it recompiles my kernel, installs and reboots. all in 1 word.

Hopefully soon people will realize the truth and not what has been push as the truth.

Sorry about my ranting Not trying to cut anyone down, just wish people would give it a chance for more than a week.

:unsure:

Edited by bud1979

People need to realize that Linux is faster to do things than MS crap.  I can do anything in Linux than windows can.  Maybe not a few games but the new ones run on wine.

You say you can do everything in linux...

How can i develop with macromedia flash, work with photoshop?

(i need those for school, not the gimp or something like that)

if there is a workable solution for this i'll switch over

Linux is perfectly suitable for mom and pop. You set up everything in Windows for them anyways, they wouldn't know the difference. Mom and pop don't toy with the OS, as long as you have an OS they can use set up, all they use it for is e-mail, web surfing, and IMing you, the occasional Office document...all of which can be done on Linux.

Sure you can create flash and use photosop. Just install VMware. Then you can use the micrsoft propriatary stuff.

yeah, but isn't it so that you only can save your files on the vmware virtual disk and not on your linux partitions? Anyway it's difficult to move them on cd or something like that... or isn't that correct?

yeah, but isn't it so that you only can save your files on the vmware virtual disk and not on your linux partitions? Anyway it's difficult to move them on cd or something like that... or isn't that correct?

bud1979: Umm... You said "I can do anything in Linux than windows can. Maybe not a few games but the new ones run on wine."

Yet when someone asks you how to do something on Linux that they can do on MS stuff, you tell them...

"Sure you can create flash and use photosop. Just install VMware. Then you can use the micrsoft propriatary stuff. "

Here you are telling someone to go out and buy something that will allow you to use "Microsuxs" developed apps. Surely that defeats the purpose of using Linux to do something that MS can do without the need to use MS based products?

Hmm.. Pot.. Kettle.. Black.. :) j/k just an observation

Here you are telling someone to go out and buy something that will allow you to use "Microsuxs" developed apps.

Umm...since when was Photoshop or Flash developed by Microsoft? ;)

But as for the original topic, Linux is a powerful OS, however many people don't see that power right from the start and are discouraged. Also if Linux really wants to compete on the desktop they have to win over those types of people, plain and simple. Still have the OS that the more experienced people love, but clothe it in a more attractive and easier to use environment, similar to how Apple did it with OS X. OS X users don't need to know anything beyond the gui, however it's there for those who like to tweak and have greater control. The same thing should be done for Linux in order to show its quality to not just the pros but the people just being introduced to it. I think it will get there, since Linux is still a young OS compared to something like Windows which has been refined (somewhat) over the years. I mean Linux has made greater strides in a shorter period of time than Windows ever made. A bit of advice to those who are discouraged by their Linux experience: be patient it's getting better, and in the meantime learn as much as you can about it now because it will help you greatly in the future. :yes: