A Real Redhat 8.0 Review

Well after looking through the other review I couldn't help but see that would be of no help to anyone opening it and hoping for a taste ofwhat RH8 (red Hat 8) is like. I tried 8.0.9 beta as itwas highly recomended by a friend. I had too many package and make problems so I said I will try the stable release. After 2 days of work with it, here is what I have to say:

INSTALL

-3 CD Download a little big, but anyone with broadband can handle that easily in a few hours.

-The Disk Check at the beggining of install is very nice (as it is also very long) but I've had many problems with a disk corruption before, so I was happy

-The install process was pretty good, making me feel good about the partitioning and boot loader (just incase)

-It had many options as to the type of setup you would like to install but I found the package selection to be laid out nice and easy so decided togo that way

1st IMPRESSIONS

-RH8 booted fine the first time, except no sound very easy to add with the tools RH8 comes with

-Went for GNOME and it was very nice and easy to navigate. Tweaking was also very easy, to make it suit my liking

-I was suprised for a 1.7 GB install how many apps and utils I had installed, alot of very nice ones, easy tools for linux config, something I'm exstatic about, ie the sound

-no mp3 support, that was ok, because my internet was up and running as soon as I booted I hoped on the net and looked on here, the answer was right here, took me 5 mins =P

-Network monitor is nice, along with the update notice, as I don't know alot about the apps and packages it helps alot

-Did I mention there were a ton of good apps (that I picked from the packages menu) installed, right off the bat. I think all I did need to get was the mp3 plugin from the net, unlike windows which is a bare OS, I would have been file hunting for awhile, not to mentikon the full office suite included =)

-After installing a new app it hard to find out how to run them after. There is alot of reading (I was prepared for that) but sometimes you still don't find what your looking for. I wish running newly installed apps was easier

-Pro's

1)Internet worked FIRST TIME -BIG BONUS

2)Full range of apps and utils to get you started

3)Easy installation, for a beginer or expert

-Con's

1)IDENT - I'm still trying to get it to work for IRC and ftp sites, I don't know what I'mdoin wrong

2)Program Installation - Gave me ALOT of problems at first, getting it a little better now, but sometimes its hard to find the exe

3)No mp3 afterinstall

I'd be greatful if anyone can help me with the Ident or recomend a good FXP/FTP prog it would help.

A few things to work on, but other then that, its alot of fun so far.

Not as hardasI thought it would be, except IDENT =P

Hope this helps a few of you looking into this

Yeah, I just installed RH 8 on my computer, and then Mandrake 9, then back to RH 8 to see how they would work. They're overall pretty good, but still lack some key features from making me switch over full time, the biggest one being full hardware support (my santa cruz has no advanced support, which sucks a lot since I just got new speakers :crazy: )

BTW - did you try gftp for ftp? That's what I use. And if you get apt-get and synaptic, program installation is much easier.

Oh yeah, and Mandrake has mp3 and NTFS support right after the install. :yes:

i like redhat 8 alot compared to other distro i;ve tried....

but there are still many cons....

installing programs that are no rpms is difficult.......

poor drivers for everything, including sound and video....( i tried both xine and mplayer and neither worked correctly for playing mpegs or avi's.) In xine, the screen appears to have vertical scanlines.......and the sound sometimes turns off without reason....

In mplayer, the only audio driver i could use is oss, and when playing movies, the movies plays so slow until a box pops up saying that my computer is too slow to play the video(btw, i'm using a pentium4)

if those are made easier to configure and use, then i think linux as a desktop will take off faster....

are u sure it didnt come with XIMMS . it is pretty just like winamp. it comes in a bunch of other distros like mandrake

it comes with xmms, but it can't play mp3 without appropriate plugin...

are u sure it didnt come with XIMMS . it is pretty just like winamp. it comes in a bunch of other distros like mandrake

redhat dropped mp3 support citing legal issues with it

ya I tried gftp, no fxp or built in ident, I got igloo, and supposedly that does fxp, but ident prevents me from getting on to try.

And ya they removed the mp3 support, you just need to get an rpm

I love REDHAT 8.0

I installed it with the help of a friend to properly dual boot with Windows 2000. So after we installed 2000. We installed Redhat. Ethernet immediatly. I got it all setup and wish I could combine KDE and GNOME, I like them both. But the one downside to it all was that there was NO sound. I have it running on a Gigabyte 7VAXP with onboard sound. It would not work. I tried downloading the Asla drivers, no go. But then found the drivers in RPM format on FRESHRPM.NET. Rebooted, no sound. Shutdown the comp overnight, booted up the next morning and put in an audio CD and BOOOOM, I have sound. Now I love it. But I wished there was a browser that would save my view settings. Because mozilla is just too small @ 1260x960 or higher @ 100% view. So each time I load Mozilla, I need to set the view to 120 or 130%. I have http setup and working. I now have a fully functional system running Redhat. I might just go out and buy it to support Redhat (I dont want them to go under).

Oh, just remembered that I do have a few probs. Both of them existe with Open Office. Redhat comes with OO 1.0.1 and I installed 1.0.2 to fix the prob with 1.0.1. The prob with 1.0.1 is that the fonts in the menus are totally UNREADABLE. You open it and you coant read any of the menus (IE: File, Edit, Help, etc), you cant read the pull downs for fonts and other menus. So I installed the next version. Now the fonts for that one are tooo large and ugly. They are hard to read just bcause of how big they are. If anyone can help on this (I can post screenshots), please LMK.

Oh, just remembered that I do have a few probs. Both of them existe with Open Office. Redhat comes with OO 1.0.1 and I installed 1.0.2 to fix the prob with 1.0.1. The prob with 1.0.1 is that the fonts in the menus are totally UNREADABLE. You open it and you coant read any of the menus (IE: File, Edit, Help, etc), you cant read the pull downs for fonts and other menus. So I installed the next version. Now the fonts for that one are tooo large and ugly. They are hard to read just bcause of how big they are. If anyone can help on this (I can post screenshots), please LMK.

You can fix the fonts by going into the options menu... It should be Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.org -> Font Replacement. I forget exactly what font to replace with what but it will fix the issue.

to fix the mozilla problem you mentioned just go to Edit -> Prefs -> Appearance -> Fonts and from there set the "Minimum Size" to at least 12 or 14, whatever helps you and then just re-open mozilla.

well I got ident working, mozilla looks a little better with the bigger fonts. Now I need an fxp prog and I'mahappy camper. This igloo fxp thing is the best I could find so far, but it sux. Any help apreciated

I'm very happy tho, very very

I also am having a very good experience with RedHat. It is the first distro that right after I installed it, EVERYTHING worked. :D

Installing JRE (Java Runtime Environment) would have been the biggest pain, but it wasnt too bad because I got help from fellow Neowinians. :)

I also had to download the MP3 thing to get MP3s to work, which was real easy.

LimeWire was also an easy install.

tho I did have to boot into windows last night to do some work that wasin't setup on Linux. But I was looking into vmware and using flashfxp. This looks like the route I will try today.

sooo much fun I tell you, finally putting my knowlege to work =)