Jabra BT8040 Bluetooth Headset

Overview:

The Jabra BT8040 is one of the latest bluetooth headsets available from Jabra. Behind the very compact design lies a plethora of features including A2DP support, active noise reduction, and intelligent volume settings. The following items are included in the package:

• Jabra BT8040 with internal rechargeable battery
  • 6 Jabra ear gel (2 small, 2 medium, 2 large)
  • Illustrated user
  • Quick start Guide
  • AC power supply
  • USB charging cable

Design:

The BT8040 is surprisingly compact, especially when compared to my much older Motorola H850. The diminutive size does not affect usability, though, and this is where Jabra deserves a lot of credit. On the face of the device are three buttons. The large circular button is used to answer and end calls and to power the device on and off. Situated next to it are two volume controls. All three buttons are easy to reach and feel when the BT8040 is in your ear due to their subtle contours. The controls are also very responsive and feel solidly built. Compared to other headsets, where the buttons often seem a bit loose and mushy, these controls are perfect.

The design of the earbud gels will be the make or break point of this headset for many people. There are six gels included in the package, two of each size. The problem is that these gels seem to be a little too large. Even the smallest gel barely fits in my ear. It's comfortable, but I can't imagine it being as enjoyable for anyone with ears smaller than my, generally, average sized ears.

Usability:

The Jabra BT8040 is as easy to use as any other headset out there. It can be turned on or off by holding the main answer button for approx. 3 seconds. If you're already in a call and turn on the headset, it will connect almost immediately thanks, in part, to the advertised e-SCO functionality. I have no idea what that feature is supposed to do, but it seems to do it's job very well. The transition from call on the handset to the headset is seamless. You won't even lose half a word of the conversation.

Quality:

Bluetooth headsets are often hit or miss when it comes to call quality. Few get the rated distance from the device and many devices include a generous snap, crackle, and pop sound as you try to carry on your conversation. The Jabra BT8040 once again sets itself apart from the crowd. With the in ear design, it's easier to block out external sounds while focusing on your conversation. Beyond that, the ingoing and outgoing call quality are superb. Callers couldn't tell I was on a headset and I was treated to clear, static free sound on my side.

Conclusion:

All in all, I would highly recommend the Jabra BT8040 bluetooth headset. While the earbuds may be a little uncomfortable for people with smaller ears, the ease of use and the superb performance simply make this one too good to pass up on.

9/10

post-1798-1203284031_thumb.jpg

Jabra BT8040

post-1798-1203283998_thumb.jpg

w/ Motorola H850

post-1798-1203284042_thumb.jpg

w/ Samsung Blackjack

Edited by bangbang023

i tried that one, didnt like how it hung on my ear. returned it for a different model that had some better grip to my head :D. was great though on everything else.

The fitting is going to be the make or break point for most people. I love it because I can switch ears mid conversation with no hassle at all.

i have one that is VERY similar by Samsung. was about $80 and i cant even use it because my ears are smaller and they will NOT fit even with the smallest gel. I have to completely take out the gell and use it seperately which hurts like a *****

Have you tried the BT8010? I'm using it right now and it's amazing.

10 hour battery life with an OLED display!

+1 on the BT8010! I use it with my T-mobile Wing / HTC Atlas/Herald and it works perfectly. Signal strength is great.

The only problem I have had with it is adjusting the rubber-covered-wire ear-stays - not the easiest to fit to my ears.

I also like the fact that I not only have a top-notch Bluetooth earpiece, but a Bluetooth wireless headset as well (with included wired earpiece for the other ear)

--ScottKin

well yeah, i mean, it says you posted it there? /confused

It was promoted there by one of the newsies. Our news system has changed quite a bit since you left.

Have you tried the BT8010? I'm using it right now and it's amazing.

10 hour battery life with an OLED display!

I wanted something small and that could be switched to the other ear, while in a call, with no effort at all. The 8040 does that perfectly.

• 1 year later...

lol I can't believe this article has so many views. The headset was one of the best I've ever used, but I've moved on to something with a longer battery life.