Lindows Media Center Takes on XP Counterpart

In an effort to lure consumers by turning PCs into home entertainment systems, Lindows.com, which produces a version of the Linux open source operating system, has released its Lindows Media Center. The new software costs less than US$350 and will compete directly with Microsoft's Media Center XP, previously known as "Freestyle," which marries television programming, personal video recording, music, movies, DVDs and pictures in a single PC device.

For its part, the Lindows Media Center combines the functionality of a standard PC with that of a DVD and CD player, and is compatible with MP3 and VDP formats. Lindows said the device boots in less than 10 seconds.

Users can navigate music and video choices via either on-screen selections or the included keyboard. They also can access advanced DVD and CD player functionality, including chapter navigation, instant audio-channel changes, scene selection and full-screen playback.

The media center also can serve as a traditional PC. Lindows.com is touting its phonebook size, sleek black design, low power consumption and ability to operate standing either on end or on its side.

An Interface Apart

Lindows spokesperson Cheryl Schwarzman said the interface is what sets the Lindows Media Center PC apart from other devices. "It is more intuitive for a consumer," she told NewsFactor.

The slim price tag is also expected to draw buyers. Schwarzman said the device is customizable, meaning its price can go as low as US$199.

The PC ships with LindowsOS 3.0, Netscape and AOL software. It is currently only available at iDotpc.com, though Schwarzman said it likely will appear in other retail channels.

Entertainment Use Up

Overall, use of PCs for entertainment purposes is on the rise, according to IDC client computing analyst Roger Kay. While no figures are available yet, Microsoft's "XP Media Centers did relatively well," Kay told NewsFactor. "The company expressed a certain degree of satisfaction with the number of shipments over the holidays."

Indeed, a recent Yankee Group study found that 76 percent of consumer broadband subscribers listen to CDs on their PC; 60 percent play games; and 49 percent download music.

Psychological Threat

The Lindows Media Center release follows the retail debut last July of Lindows-powered PCs for $199. Those PCs were first offered at Wal-Mart and were nearly sold out by the holidays, the company said.

But despite reports of positive sales at Wal-Mart, Lindows' market share has been estimated by IDC to be just 2 percent of the desktop OS market, and it is not anticipated to grow beyond 5 percent through 2006.

However, even though Lindows may not represent a material threat to Microsoft's dominance, said Kay, it could pose a psychological threat. "It represents the idea there could be something other than Windows," he noted.

Legal Troubles Loom

Besides the struggle to gain a foothold in an already-tight PC market, Lindows.com faces other uphill battles.

A federal judge last week said Microsoft's 2001 trademark infringement lawsuit against Lindows.com will go to trial April 7th. U.S. District Court Judge John Coughenour sided with Microsoft and denied Lindows' motion that "Windows" is a generic term not subject to trademark protections.

NewsFactor Network

Further proof Lindows likes to leach off already established companies' hard work.

I agree that Lindows MCE (and Lindows) is a stupid idea, but since when don't ALL companies like to leech off of established companies' hard work?

:unsure:

Oh my god, where is the sanity!!! :blink: :angry: :pinch:

Robertson is just trying to capitolize on everybody elses idea's !! HE HAS TO DIE!!

:whistle:

This too... :whistle:

:shifty: No...lindows isn't copying microsoft.....:shifty:

Can these motherf'rs come up their own name for their products!

i kinda like this idea....... hehehehehe......

i'm serious , i think what robertson is doing is trying not let microsoft take over the whole market...., and that's a good thing..........

i kinda like this idea....... hehehehehe......

i'm serious , i think what robertson is doing is trying not let microsoft take over the whole market...., and that's a good thing..........

I agree, it will force Microsoft to come up with new idea's. I dont see this as copying Microsoft's stuff; Microsoft did not copyright the words "Media Center". I would like to see more companies doing this.