VBA Excel Textbox to accept numbers only?

Question

OK guys, I want to have a few textboxes that only accept numerical chars, not letters. Therefore I need some sort of validation as soon as the user has entered something into the textboxes to prevent this. I have demonstrated this below in a basic way, whereby if the user enters a letter ?a? then they will get an error message, however it will still leave the letter a in the textbox which is no good. Plus I need it for all the alphabet, not just ?a?. There must be an easier way todo what I require, can anyone help?

Private Sub TextBox2_Change()

If TextBox2 = ?a? Then MsgBox "Enter Numerical characters only "

5 answers to this question

OK guys, I want to have a few textboxes that only accept numerical chars, not letters. Therefore I need some sort of validation as soon as the user has entered something into the textboxes to prevent this. I have demonstrated this below in a basic way, whereby if the user enters a letter ?a? then they will get an error message, however it will still leave the letter a in the textbox which is no good. Plus I need it for all the alphabet, not just ?a?. There must be an easier way todo what I require, can anyone help?

If TextBox2 = ?a? Then MsgBox "Enter Numerical characters only "

This looks helpful, Numeric Validation

Also, this may put you on the right path if the aforementioned link comes to no help.

Good luck,

SilverB.

The following is perfect, exactly what i need, however, it errors when a "." is entered on its own. where it should, for example

replace that single"." with a "0" so how can that code be corrected so that is what happens? The author of that code was trying

To exaclty that!

Thanks for al lyour help guys

Private Sub TextBox1_KeyPress(ByVal KeyAscii As MSForms.ReturnInteger)

Select Case KeyAscii

Case Asc("0") To Asc("99")

Case Asc(".")

If InStr(1, TextBox1.Text, ".") > 0 Then

KeyAscii = 0

End If

Case Else

KeyAscii = 0

End Select

End Sub

I got it working pretty much how I wanted by adding another private sub. Any comments appreciated

If TextBox2 = "." Then TextBox2 = "0"

End Sub

'Prevents Users from entering Letter chars into numerical textboxes

Private Sub TextBox2_KeyPress(ByVal KeyAscii As MSForms.ReturnInteger)

If TextBox2 = "." Then TextBox2 = "3"

If InStr(1, TextBox2.Text, ".") > 0 And KeyAscii = Asc(".") Then

KeyAscii = 0

Exit Sub

End If

Select Case KeyAscii

Case Asc("0") To Asc("9"), Asc(".")

Case Else

KeyAscii = 0

End Select

End Sub