The Big Wrestling Thread!

16 hours ago, Damo R. said:

Sorry but I think WWE just went crazy with the Angle "Angle" horrible just horrible!

I am pretty much done with WWE for now.  It has been getting progressively worse over the years (depending on what we are talking about) and this new story line is one of the dumbest in recent memory.  Between the mediocre pay per views as well as idiotic names (Great Balls of Fire???), and the horrible stories, I can't support the product.  I also stopped paying for the WWE app as the product value just isn't enough anymore.  I really wish we had an equivalent to WCW as a rival to force WWE to start trying and competing for ratings again...

31 minutes ago, grendal said:

I really wish we had an equivalent to WCW as a rival to force WWE to start trying and competing for ratings again...

I know the feeling. The closest to that at the moment - at least as a WWE Network rival - would be either the Fight Network or FloSlam. Obviously, there's also the myriad of top indie promotions with their own on-demand services through Pivotshare, but they're more niche in comparison. As for TV, well, the choices are few and far between there. It's mostly just WWE, GFW and ROH over in America, plus NJPW's weekly show on AXS; here, it's just WWE and GFW (plus WAW if you happen to live in Norwich, because of their local channel Mustard TV).

Even then, if you support the underdogs by watching them, it only really matters if you're one of the few households actually being tracked by BARB here or Nielsen in America. Here, there's only around 5,000 homes tracked by BARB, so each box represents around 5,000 people, so one extra person in the panel tuning in can make a big difference to the ratings, especially if it were WWE, for example; I just looked at the latest weekly ratings available, which are from July 3rd to the 9th, and WWE's live showings of Raw and Smackdown only got 33k and 25k viewers, respectively, and even the repeat showing of Smackdown on Thursday night outdid the live show with 29k. As for GFW, well, BARB only shows the top 10 of each channel - or top 30 for the main five channels and then top 30 for every other channel combined - and the last time Impact Wrestling was in Spike's top 10 programmes was about a month ago with 118k viewers. It debuted with 151k about two months ago, now all we know is they're getting less than around 110k at the moment, but almost certainly treble what Raw gets, but there's a big factor that has to be noted: WWE gets shown on Sky Sports, which are very expensive premium channels, and GFW's on Spike, which is a Freeview channel.

I just remembered AAA is airing over here now, too, on a new free sports channel called Front Runner, but it's only available on Sky, so I can't get it, because ###### Rupert Murdoch. Looking at their ratings, they debuted last month with 14k, then dropped to a lowly 2k, and now they're so low that they don't even register as a number, meaning less than a thousand viewers. :/ 

A small helicopter carrying the son of WWE chairman and CEO Vince McMahon made an emergency landing in the waters off of Gilgo Beach Wednesday morning.

The FAA says the Robinson R-44 helicopter with two aboard landed on its pontoon skids about a half mile off the coast just before 10:30 a.m. Neither Shane McMahon nor pilot Mario Regtien was injured.

"We heard some noise, and it became very clear to me that I could no longer continue flying the helicopter," Regtien said. "So I decided to do an auto-rotation landing in the water."

The FAA said Regtien sent out a mayday call just before landing in the water. A commercial flight headed into JFK Airport heard the call and radioed to the FAA.

Emergency responders, including two lifeguards, picked up the two and ferried them safety to shore. Both were wearing life jackets. NYPD Aviation and SCUBA units also responded and assisted in the rescue.

http://abc7ny.com/news/helicopter-makes-crash-landing-in-waters-off-gilgo-beach/2233003/

Speaking of indie dates, I'm going to this one next Sunday.

19575243_1035847539883973_7076212218984419348_o.thumb.jpg.d94df357ef4925b409dd869db4488352.jpg

I missed Grado the last time he was down here, so this one was a no-brainer, and everything else is a bonus. :p (Also, it'll be Laura James' homecoming.)

GFW Global Champion Alberto El Patron is no longer under investigation by police over the airport altercation earlier this month between he and Paige … Pro Wrestling Sheet has confirmed.

A rep for the Orlando PD tells us that due to the detective’s investigation determining that Paige is the one who should be charged for domestic violence, they no longer view El Patron as a suspect.

As we previously reported, police believe Paige should be charged with battery. The State Attorney’s Office is currently reviewing the case before a final decision is made.

Alberto was suspended indefinitely by GFW after the incident was made public. We’ve reached out to the company to see if the suspension will now be lifted.

Safe to say Paige was telling the truth about what happened.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/airport-alberto-patron-not-suspect/#.WXJLwIgrKUl

So I admit I haven't kept up with ICW a whole lot recently (though I do watch the occasional Youtube video they post) but I had ZERO idea anyone from the US (or anywhere else) was in ICW lol

Also, I guess Grado is still a heel going by that video and reaction :D

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 2:27 AM, LOC said:

So I admit I haven't kept up with ICW a whole lot recently (though I do watch the occasional Youtube video they post) but I had ZERO idea anyone from the US (or anywhere else) was in ICW lol

Also, I guess Grado is still a heel going by that video and reaction :D

There aren't any Americans there on a regular basis, but yeah, a bunch of them make one-off appearances when they tour the UK; IIRC, the last ones were Matt Cross and War Machine at Barramania 3 back in April. There'll be some more international stars this weekend with the Shug's Hoose Party 4 double-header; Super Crazy's making his ICW debut, plus Noam Dar's making a one-off return, and there's also the WWE UK Championship match (Pete Dunne (c) vs. Wolfgang vs. BT Gunn vs. Trent Seven

And yeah, Grado's still a heel; it's been three months, and they're still sticking with it. Pretty sure he's still his old face self everywhere else, though, coming out dancing to "Like a Prayer" (except GFW, obviously); I'll find out masel this Sunday. :p