Human and Computer Draw 2nd Game of Chess Match

Chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov broke a spell in his contests against computers on Tuesday when he drew the second game of his 6-game match in New York against world champion program Deep Junior.

In Kasparov's epic struggles against the IBM supercomputer Deep Blue in 1996 and 1997, the winner of the second game went on to win the overall match. Kasparov faded after losing at this stage six years ago, troubled psychologically by analysis that showed he missed an opportunity to draw the game.

"The whole plan worked, but because of this spell on game two, this pressure on me, I spent probably an extra half an hour to decide if I should save a draw or provoke more complications," Azerbaijan-born Kasparov, the world's number one ranked chess player, told reporters and spectators at the New York Athletic Club where the games are being played.

Kasparov, 39, and programmers Shay Bushinksy and Amir Ban of the Israeli-built software program agreed to a draw after 30 moves and just over three hours of play after a tense tactical battle. Deep Junior won the world computer championship last year and is considered better than most systems at evaluating chess positions.

Source : Nikush.com