Intel names "turbo mode" chipset after Pat...

Intel names "turbo mode" chipset after Pat Gelsinger

Desktop Roadmaps The times, prices, they are a changing

By Mike Magee: Tuesday 28 January 2003, 09:42

CHIP GIANT Intel is readying its 875P "Canterwood" chipset for release and has found a new name to befuddle the already confuzzled semiconductor community, according to the latest roadmaps seen by the INQUIRER.

The "Canterwood" chipset, which as we revealed late last year will use DDR 400 memory, has a specially tweaked "turbo mode" but it is now called Performance Acceleration Technology, or PAT.

And the "Springdale" family will be called the 865 family ? we think that's something we knew already...

But Intel will also add DDR 333 memory support to its 845G family and use the 845GV name for it, for release in the second quarter of this year.

As we also revealed earlier, Pentium 4 desktop CPUs, starting at clock speeds of 2.40GHz, will include hypethreading in the second quarter of this year.

And Prescott still remains delayed until the fourth quarter of this year, as Intel re-shuffles its desktop roadmap once again. By this time next year, Intel will release Prescott chips at speeds over 3.80GHz.

Intel's 875P chipset ? PAT -- will be offered in the second quarter of this year, including support for the 800MHz and 533MHz system buses and supporting both DDR 400 and 333 and the famous Serial ATA "standard".

The 865 "Springdale" chipsets are also still on target for Q2 in their various different flavours.

The next big price cut on Intel CPUs is slated for the 23rd of February, when the Pentium 4 3.0/3.06GHz chippies will drop from $637 to $590. Then, the 2.8GHz CPU will fall from $401 to $375, the 2.6/2.66GHz CPU from $305 to $241, the 2.53/2.5GHz Pentium 4 from $243 to $193, while the Pentium 2.4GHz and the 2.2GHz CPUs will enter the chip gulag.

When Intel launches its Pentium 4 3.20GHz CPU which will support 800MHz system buses, it will cost $637, but here Chipzilla will fork things by selling Pentium 4s in two ways. You will be able to buy bog standard 533MHz bus Pentium 4s at 3.06GHz, for example, at $401. But the 800MHz versions will sell for $417 at launch.

The 2.8GHz without hypethreading will cost $262, and with the 800MHz bus and HT will cost $278. The 2.66GHz with hypethreading/800 will cost $218 then ? without it will cost $193. Intel won't offer a 2.53GHz Pentium 4 supporting the 800MHz front side bus and hypethreading.

Celeron desktop pricing will stay the same.

Intel's Canterwood 875P chipset with RAID will cost $53 when it launches, and without RAID $50. The 865G will cost $44, the 865PE $39, and the 865P will cost $36 ? that's with RAID support. Without RAID support you can knock $3 off the price. ?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7450

xStainDx is tha Backpage News Master...lol. Please don't take it personal...but if you post this much news, I think you should start your own site...or go to a site that will allow you to be an official news poster...hehe. :p

xStainDx is tha Backpage News Master...lol. Please don't take it personal...but if you post this much news, I think you should start your own site...or go to a site that will allow you to be an official news poster...hehe. :p

i don't want to start my own site, too expensive, and I like being here. :yes: