Why do people speed?!

The most important thing is to just not tail-gate people, I speed all the time and I've never gotten in a wreck, pretty much just because I don't follow people too closely. But that means I have to change lanes a lot if I keep speeding. :p

Totally agree.

On the highway I'd might do 10-15 km/h faster, on any other road from 5 to 10 km/h, just to not nag the **** out of my fellow drivers and to be somewhere faster.

Because it makes you look really cool. Girls will love you more, and your penis will grow larger by at least an inch.

or.....

Because the person behind the wheel has the IQ of a doormat, has no real personality qualities, and so needs to make up for it by getting people to notice his speeding. Look how fast I can go! I'm so cool. No, really, I am....

or

Because the person behind the wheel is so full of self-importance that he believes he has to speed so that he can arrive on time. It doesn't matter if he risks the lives of others; what's important is that he gets there! Never mind those other drivers, holding this very important person up. They should all be be ashamed of themselves, for not being as important as Mr. Halfwit in front of them.

Edited by SniperX

3 answers:

A) Because when they get to a straight line, they have to make up for all the slowness they did around the bends, because they are rubbish drivers. This type winds me up the most as if they kept to the limit around all the bends and the straight everyone would be happy.

B) Because they are losers who think they look big. Sometimes found with a lame giant exhaust pipe.

C) Because they didnt plan enough time for their journey and are going to be late because of this error. Still unacceptable.

Well, I rarely speed, if I do its like maximum of 5mph over the limit, because I don't see the point of speeding, I always leave in plenty of time to my destination and I'm never in any real rush to get to work :p and because if you get caught speeding in UK you get ass proded!

I don't even think speeding is 'fun' a car is for transport, to get you to A to B, if people want fun, go for a track day.

But my moto is "I'd rather be later in this life, then early in the next" :p

Because they are losers who think they look big.

lol - I guess prejudices run rife whatever it is you drive. I have the same opinion of 4x4 drivers.

Anywho - well I do try and watch my speed in residential area's as you'd expect - speeding on a quiet road is one thing, but speeding on residential roads is for idiots.

I happily put my hand up and say i'll speed, on occasion, on quiet bits of road or roads I know exceptionally well simply because I feel confident in myself and I have a car that can cope with it - and, for the people who don't seem to be able to grasp the concept, because its EXCITING. No, not the "breaking the law" bit (because i'm generally a good citizen), but just driving quickly. I love the feel of accelleration, the noise of the engine.. yes, i'm a petrol head :) Believe me - I don't do it to show off. As I said, I prefer to give the car some welly on a quiet road, well away from anyone else!

Anywho - well I do try and watch my speed in residential area's as you'd expect - speeding on a quiet road is one thing, but speeding on residential roads is for idiots.

I happily put my hand up and say i'll speed, on occasion, on quiet bits of road or roads I know exceptionally well simply because I feel confident in myself and I have a car that can cope with it - and, for the people who don't seem to be able to grasp the concept, because its EXCITING. No, not the "breaking the law" bit (because i'm generally a good citizen), but just driving quickly. I love the feel of accelleration, the noise of the engine.. yes, i'm a petrol head :) Believe me - I don't do it to show off. As I said, I prefer to give the car some welly on a quiet road, well away from anyone else!

I would say I am the same as you.

Everywhere I drive everyone speeds at about 40-45mph instead of 30 it's just standard. No policeman would pull you over for it cause everyone is doing it including the police! I guess people around my area aren't stupid enough to walk out into a 2 ton killing machine.

I don't speed anymore. I did for the past couple of years, generally driving 5-10mph over the limit, sometimes 15mph on the freeway. But I've stopped.

If you take the time to calculate exactly how much time it will save you, it's not worth it.

I can get 50 more miles to my tank by simply going the speed limit, or at most 5mph over it. Why would I not want that extra mileage?

Sure, I'm an excellent driver and I could easily handle the speed, but that doesn't make everybody else an excellent driver or give them the ability to handle it. If you're going faster, you have less time to react to a stupid driver or to a collision on the road.

It just doesn't make sense to speed, and I've finally come to that conclusion. I'm glad it didn't take a collision to get my head straight.

giga - you are 100% right. Saving that 5 - 15mph REALLY helpd fuel consumption. And I have found, on a journey say London to Leicester (a regular trip) or Leicester to Cambridge (my daily commute) - it takes pretty much the same length of time whatever speed I do.

A lot of the time if the roads are empty, there's plenty of visibility and the limit is 30mph, doing the speed limit can feel painfully slow, so I guess people feel like speeding up because it's safe to do so, but they only go an extra 15mph rather than full throttling it because they are still cautious and want time to react if they need to. It's a compromise between driving (what seems to be) painfully slow and dangerously fast.

I noticed that I wasn't clear in my original post, I meant 15mph which is about 25Kph.

When I original posed the questions I was thinking more along the lines local roads (non-highway).

Where I live the roads are almost always busy unless if it late at night and they still usually have a decent amount of traffic on them

Because a lot of roads are so goddamn wide, it makes you feel like you're on a highway and out of place with your legal speed. And because time is money. And because I get distracted and bored ****less when the scenery doesn't change and move fast enough.

I might try slowing down a bit more to check the fuel consumption.

The first time I got my car, I got 400 miles to a full tank. Now I get closer to 350, although I never let it get that low anymore.

I'm no saint and I definitely speeded before. As you may or may not know I do a lot of test driving as it's part of my job. Sometimes I can't wait till the German autobahn and I tend to push the pedal a little further on the Belgian/Dutch roads. Does this make me a bad person? The speed limit down here is 120 km/h and I catch myself driving 130-140 km/h on the second lane. One thing is sure, a dozen times 5 cars bypass me.

Sometimes it's hard to make a good planning, getting you behind schedule a little. I can't afford coming late on an appointment as the car gets test driven before me and immediately gets another test drive after me, unless it's a whole day test. If I have a meeting before that I tend to get a little late and then I step the pedal a little more.

Last but not least, you have to look at the road. If there are only a few cars on a 3-lane road why not push a little more and get home to your wife faster? The chances that you're going to cause an accident are little and speedguns are also no option. If you're on a busy road don't even think about speeding, that's is reckless.

Both are no excuses but they do not make me a criminal. Everyone speeds once in a while.

i think you all are jealous cuz your cars cant keep up lol...

That would not be the case. It's just hateful to see people bypass you on roads where it's hardly possible only to cut in right in front of you and then hit the brakes for a cyclist. And that's just for starters...

i think you all are jealous cuz your cars cant keep up lol...

Oh no, not even. I've gone 110mph before on the freeway (and I could have gone a lot faster), but that was before I finally realized how stupid and pointless it was. You are the type that likes to think other people are jealous of your "sick ride" and then cause accidents trying to show off. Frankly, it's disgusting and immature.