Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Hey all instead of making more MGS4 topic I decided to make one topic about MGS4 so we all can post news and info as it comes in.

About:

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a story-driven adventure game, with seasoned hero Solid Snake drafted for one final mission. Set across stages including the Middle East and South America, the now aged Snake has been asked to assassinate his old adversary, Liquid Ocelot. To do this, however, he must make his way through a series of battlefields, using his legendary stealth abilities and all-new OctoCamo suit to avoid detection and to reach his target. With series favorites such as Meryl Silverburgh, Raiden, Hal 'Otacon' Emmerich, Eva and Roy Campbell returning, and with all new gameplay features including a remote-controlled Metal Gear Mk. II and enhanced CQC (Close Quarters Combat) system, Metal Gear Solid 4 rounds out the Metal Gear saga with a fittingly cinematic and gripping final outing.

Release Date: June 12th 2008 (World wide Release)

Previews:

1UP.com's Metal Gear Solid 4 Preview

IGN PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 Hands-on Preview

Jeuxvideo's Metal Gear Solid 4 Preview(French)

European box art:

N/A

Japanese box art:

post-18711-1204230572_thumb.jpg

U.S. box art:

post-18711-1204257460_thumb.jpg

U.S. PS3 MGS4 Bundle:

post-18711-1204231256.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 Bundle

To coincide with the much-anticipated North American launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2 2008, SCEA will introduce a PS3 bundle, which will include an 80GB PS3, the upcoming blockbuster Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for $499.99 (MSRP).

As has been announced previously, MGS4 will include a Metal Gear Online ?Starter Pack.? If you can?t wait to try out MGS4, the good news is you don?t have to much longer. Those who pre-order the game will be guaranteed access to a multiplayer beta test for Metal Gear Online scheduled for late News:ews:

Metal Gear Solid 4 dated for June 12th

Metal Gear Solid 80GB pack announced

Pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4, get access to online beta

MGS4 Japanese box art unveiledHideo Kojima translated, MGS4 and MGO infoinfo

MGS4

-Briefings:

You control Mk.II during the briefings, allowing you to adjust the camera (including a 4-angle split-screen and ability to turn the window off) and move around. You can also rewatch any of them from the title screen. In the picture on the left, he's ignoring the briefing and looking at what else is going on. He sees Sunny doing something. You can play different songs on the little s-Special Edition disc contains all the trailers and some making-of videos.

-Website relaunches 2/29.

-Pricing for different versions and look of bundled PS3 will be released on 3/21.

-TGS '07 trailer will be uploaded to the Japanese PSN Store on 2/29./29.-Starter pack contains 5 maps, some new (some from previous titles, I'm assuming). Expansion packs add new characters and maps. Pricing and release schedule will be announced at a later date.

-New beta test is for Japan too. No need to pre-order, open to anyone 17 or older with a PS3 and online account. You can apply from 2/29 to 5/5, and it runs from 4/21 to 5/6.

/6.

Hideo Kojima (translated by Marc) posted:Here's Kojima's message from the article:

Hello again, everyone. Sorry for staying silent so long.

MGS4's release date has finally been decided.

It will be released worldwide on June 12th.

We are currently making our final adjustments and polishing the game.

I and the rest of Kojima Productions feel your excitement.

Snake's final battle is almost here.

Hideo Kojima

Designer / Producer / Director

Source; TUS - Marc (Translator) - Dengeki PlayStation

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246799Screenshotshots

mgspictunew.jpg

mgspictunew1.jpg

mgspictunew2.jpg

mgspictunew3.jpg

mgspictunew4.jpg

mgspictunew5.jpg

Source: http://www.ene3.com/archives/021122.html

Edited by American Ninja

house-do-wantthumbnail.jpg

ps.

It will be released worldwide on June 12th.

Told everyone it would be a worldwide release ;)

Edited by Audioboxer

I just want to know if there is going to be a collector's edition.

Of MGS4?

There's a special editon.

Or do you mean MGS1/2/3? If so, then yes there is a collectors edition with all 3 included coming out for $30.

Of MGS4?

There's a special editon.

Or do you mean MGS1/2/3? If so, then yes there is a collectors edition with all 3 included coming out for $30.

Any idea when we will be able to pre-order the special edition?

there's a Q&A over at the playstation blog:

Q: When is the game shipping to retail?

A: The game is scheduled to arrive at retail stores in North America on June 12, 2008.

Q: What?s in the Metal Gear Online Starter Pack?b>

A: The Metal Gear Online Starter Pack, included with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, is a squad-based, online multiplayer tactical shooter that supports up to 16 players and takes place in the Metal Gear Solid universe.Q: When is the Metal Gear Online multiplayer beta test?b>

A: The Metal Gear Online multiplayer beta test is scheduled to begin on April 21, 2008

Q: How long will the Metal Gear Online beta test run?b>

A: The Metal Gear Online multiplayer beta test will run for approximately 2 weeksQ: Where can I get the pre-sell?b>

A: The pre-sell program will be available nationwide at all major retailers.Q: Is there a time frame for the pre-order to gain access to the beta? When does the pre-order period begin?b>

A: The pre-order will begin April 2008. Check with your local retailer on availability.Q: Is there any special process that consumers must go through to verify their participation in the beta?b>

A: When the pre-order program begins in April 2008, consumers who pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriotwill receive the Metal Gear Saga 2.0 DVD, containing a Prologue that recaps the Metal Gear franchise, a 20th Anniversary retrospective, character bios for Big Boss, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and Solid Snake, plus a collection of international trailers of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. This pre-order package also contains an insert with a download code and special instructions for accessing the Metal Gear Online betab> test when it goes live in late April.Q: How many people will be allowed to participate in the Metal Gear Online beta test?b>

A: The special Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots pre-order package (which includes the insert with the Metal Gear Online download code) will only be available while supplies last

Q: How do consumers who have already pre-ordered participate in the beta?b>

A: Consumers will need to contact their local retailer for more information.Q: Will consumers who don?t pre-order have any chance to join the beta?

A: If additional promotional partners are secured, there is a possibility of making beta access available, but nothing is confirmed at this time.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/02/28/...e-patriots-faq/

Snake has a beard now?

sasasda.jpg

Wait, someone said,

The Snake with the facial hair is Big Boss, the other Snake is his son.

Eva is Big Mama and Raiden is related! Oh it all comes together in the summer.

That's going to be awesome.

The game doesn't look like it will have a Beta. Who's still mad this ISN'T on 360?

Have you even read the thread? There will be an online beta opening in April.

I am trying so hard not to hype this up. It's going to be really hard not to. The details about the Blu-ray disc almost been filled is interesting.

I wonder what the length will be like ? I am hoping around the 20 hours mark anyone else have any views on the games length ?

I am trying so hard not to hype this up. It's going to be really hard not to. The details about the Blu-ray disc almost been filled is interesting.

I wonder what the length will be like ? I am hoping around the 20 hours mark anyone else have any views on the games length ?

The other games have been fairly long.

I'd say since this is the finale, it will be longer than the ours.

US/Europe Metal Gear Solid 4 Won't Have Japanese Track

In the latest Kojima Productions Report podcast, producer Ryan Payton announces that MGS4 won't have voice over tracks for other languages. Says Payton:

Unfortunately because of disc space, we don't have the space to include other languages, other voice over files for the respective versions. So the Japanese version's not gonna have English VO, and the North American and European versions won't have Japanese VO.

He does go on to state the voice over work in MGS4 is the best it's ever been. Kojima Pro's Aki Saito chimes in, saying they could've delayed the game to shoehorn that VO work in. But hey, the PS3 is region-free if you really, really want to hear the Japanese VO. Sounds like MGS4 is pushing the boundaries of Blu-ray space.

Source: http://kotaku.com/362175/useurope-metal-ge...-japanese-track

Guess the disc has a lot on it :p

Moot point really, english voice acting has always been top notch, and with a worldwide release date it's not like you're going to need to consider importing.

Solid Snake hasn't lost any eyes.

Correct.

In one of the trailers of gameplay, it shows you play as Snake in MGS4 with no eyepatch.

Otacon gives you the solid eye I think it's called so far into the game.

Beta is confirmed for EU as well? - at least a Dutch site (www.psonly.nl) claims that, they source eurogamer.com for it, but I cannot reach that site

edit; eurogamer.net seems to be an actual site :p but I cannot find the news there