DVI vs HDMI vs DisplayPort

Which one of these technologies do you favour as a dominating one in the near future for the PC market?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Which Format?

• HDMI
    • DVI
    • DisplayPort

OK guys,

Let's talk serious.

1. Do you think HDMI and DisplayPort pose a threat to DVI?
  2. Is there any benefit in upgrading to HDMI and DisplayPort capable LCD monitor for PC usage only?

As an example, let's compare Dell's 24" 2008 model going for $699CAD versus Dell's 24" 2007 model for $599CAD ($100 discount deal ends soon).

1CAD=1USD=0.66EURO

edit: added linx: DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

Edited by bmaher
added poll

From my very limited knowledge, DisplayPort would become a better option is your looking for a monitor 30" or high as DisplayPort has the bandwidth to handle monitors of that size and higher. I know DVI can do it too, but doesn't it need to use two DVI ports? I know DisplayPort can do it on a single connection anyway. For sub 30" displays, I can't see DVI been under much threat. HDMI, well isn't that just DVI with sound using a different plug?

Here is a link with more info about DisplayPort, it does seem pretty damn good. It's backwards compatible as well, so you could get a DisplayPort monitor now and use it over DVI/VGA till you can get your hands on a DisplayPort video card, which is handy if the monitor only supports DisplayPort. However, in the case of the Dell that is hardly an issue :p

Edited by Xerxes

I know DVI can do it too, but doesn't it need to use two DVI ports?

Yeah, it's called Dual Link DVI, both of these Dell's monitors requre a GPU card with this port. It's just one port thou and it looks the same just has some extra pins.

AFAIK, none of these are in competition with the other. HDMI is the electronics side of things (it is technically DVI w/audio). DVI is primarily for computer monitors. Display port is what will replace DVI. The lines are blurred, and this is where people get confused. But its only for the best, as the consumer is left with options. So you have HDTV's with DVI, great! Computer Monitors with HDMI, Great! But the principle of the technology stands still.

Displayport = Future, at least they are going to try and get all video cards to have an output first then all the Monitor companies will adopt it, then no more DVI hopefully.

DVI is a dead technology, its been pretty much eliminated on TV's thanks to HDMI, and soon Displayport will arrive on TV's to connect to pc's instead of VGA and DVI-D ports.

Yeah, it's called Dual Link DVI, both of these Dell's monitors requre a GPU card with this port. It's just one port thou and it looks the same just has some extra pins.

Ah so that is what that Dual Link DVI thing was :p Thx! I got that Dell monitor (the older one) it's a nice monitor. After reading more about DisplayPort and I retract my statement that DisplayPort wouldn't be much threat to DVI with sub 30" displays, one interesting facts is DisplayPort will (eventually) allow for slimmer monitors, so obviously even the smaller sized screens will still benefit from it and that is only the beginning of it!

Edited by Xerxes

Again, I still believe there was never competition. You got the pc side of things, and electronics side of thing. I mean, did VGA pose a threat to Component cables? Seriously now. Displayport is the future, and there will probably be an equivalent technology on the electronics side of things, that will replace HDMI. (HDMI is essentially DVI ppl!)

DisplayPort definately beats up on DVI and HDMI for PCs.

Of course there's competition. It may be subtle at first but it's there. HDMI has royalties and DisplayPort doesn't, so naturally DP is going to be an easy decision for component manufacturers. TVs may not include it at first, but I imagine they will eventually.

Sheesh, just look at how long it took for vidcards/monitors to use HDMI, and how quickly DP is being adopted. There's not much more obvious than that.

I think DVI still has and will continue to have for a few more years the largest share of the LCD market for the PCs. Most new LCD monitors ship with both DisplayPort and DVI anyways (same with GPUs), and still others include HDMI too. So we, the consumers, aren't really forced to upgrade. And it's a good thing. I hope it will still be a while untill they start selling LCD's (and GPUs) with just DisplayPort and no DVI.

HDMI has definitely been intended for the Home Theatres. Finally less clutter! (I hate cables).

DisplayPort is the successor to DVI for computer uses.

HDMI is the successor to DVI for A/V uses.

Although, I suppose DisplayPort could one day be used for A/V, that's not the target at this time. 2009 will be the year for DisplayPort.

"Advantages" over DVI/ HDMI from Wiki:

1. Based on micro-packet protocol

* Allows easy expansion of the standard

* Allows multiple video streams over single physical connection (in a future version)

2. Designed to support internal chip-to-chip communication

* Can drive display panels directly, eliminating control circuits and allowing for cheaper and slimmer displays

* Aimed to replace internal LVDS links in notebook panels with a unified link interface

3. Allows backward compatibility with single link DVI/HDMI; dual link DVI/HDMI and analog VGA require active converter adapters or dongles

4. Supports both RGB and YCbCr color spaces (ITU-R BT.601 and BT.709 format)

5. Auxiliary channel can be used for touch-panel data, USB links, camera, microphone, etc.

6. Fewer lanes with embedded clock reduce RFI.

why do we need displayport? honest question... i dont get it. why does everyone say "it's the future"

That's exactly what I've been thinking too and actually the reason why I've started this thread.

I've been comparing these two Dell 24" monitors (2007 model vs 2008) and I just thought to myself that I really don't care if one has DVI + DisplayPort + HDMI and the other one has DVI + Component + S-Video; and I thought that really didn't matter as long as there was a DVI port and given that the LCD panels are almost identical in both models (1000:1 contrast, 92% colour gamut vs. 3000:1 contrast, 110% gamut), I was gonna go for the cheaper one, but I am late now....sigh...the sale is over so I guess I'll have to wait.

=)

Edited by Zhivago

I think for technology nowadays, its not necessary. But for future, when you get more data, like for multitouch, or mutiple displays, DVI becomes a bottleneck.

I think for technology nowadays, its not necessary. But for future, when you get more data, like for multitouch, or mutiple displays, DVI becomes a bottleneck.

I'm sort of sceptical about that. It's 10.8 Gbit/s (DP) vs 7.4 Gbit/s (Dual Link DVI). NOTE: the wiki article article says 7.4 Gbit/s or more, so I wonder if there will be future versions of DVI with higher bandwidth.

oh and DVI has more pins! 24 vs 20

Thank you for posting this! (Y)

Down the road, DisplayPort will allow multi-function monitors with a single cable delivering display, audio, and USB connectivity. It will also support multiple monitors on a single connector.

I think this is the greatest advantage for me - less cables!

I guess the best analogy I can think of when comparing DVi vs DisplayPort is this: If such huge evolutionary jump from VGA to DVI is what going from Windows 95 to Windows XP was, going from DVI to DisplayPort is sort of like upgrading Windows XP to Vista. Yeah, it looks better and it is sort of new technology with some convinience features, but really, it's just the same thing/shell.

I apologize for bringing Vista into discussion, but it was nessesary. :blush:

Surely that is a disadvantage? SCART had plenty of pins after all :p

haha!

I remember those old pre-1980's 36 pin parallel ports. They were used in printers mostly I believe. Oh man, they were huge!