WWDC '08

162819wwdc2008b_400e6379.jpg

Apple has announced the dates for the Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) 2008. The event will take place on June 9-13, 2008 in San Francisco, CA at Moscone West.

A landmark event. In more ways than one.

The groundbreaking innovations of Mac OS X Leopard and iPhone OS offer two revolutionary development platforms for developers and IT professionals. Immerse yourself with information-rich sessions where Apple engineers go in-depth on the innovative technologies that power the features of these sophisticated platforms. Bring your code to the Labs and work one-to-one with Apple engineers, applying development methods and best-practices you gain from sessions to enhance your application

Apple is offering 3 tracks for developers: iPhone, Mac, and IT. The iPhone focus will certainly be a big part of the WWDC keynote with the recent announcement of the iPhone SDK. The first of the 3rd party iPhone applications will officially launch at the end of June.

The developer invitation (pictured above) depicts two bridges, presumably representing Leopard and the iPhone OS.

Macrumours

Time to get your speculation on!

Edited by osirisX

What does that mean? iPhone OS 2.0? iPhone 2.0? Apps Store online? A new Mac Pro? 10.5.3 as Vegetunks pointed out? iPhone released in more countries? An update to fix the bugs reported in the iPhone SDK by the developers?

What does that mean? iPhone OS 2.0? iPhone 2.0? Apps Store online? A new Mac Pro? 10.5.3 as Vegetunks pointed out? iPhone released in more countries? An update to fix the bugs reported in the iPhone SDK by the developers?

No one knows what it means, we won't find out until WWDC '08. We know for sure that iPhone [OS] 2.0 is being released, though. I personally think the "building bridges" thing means that Apple will now have two dedicated departments: one for desktops and notebooks, as well as Mac OS, and the other department for the iPhone, TV, any new products, etc. They likely already have something like this set up, but yeah, maybe they're making an official announcement?

just something that came to my mind:

osx for non-apple hardware, like... building bridges to once unreachable landmarks like yeah, having osx on non-apple hardware.. ;)

i personally would not love that and it would be pretty stupid from apple and we had this discussion over and over again but yeah, we have bootcamp already and safari for windows and all... i dont know...

the good thing is, we all dont know until wwdc 08. =)

Back to wishing for a midrange Mac - like the iMac but headless (BYODKM) and upgradable - RAM, video, HDD, etc etc...

I can but dream!

Why does something like this have to be now?

I am saving for a new car and I don't need Apple releasing anything Brand Spanking New that I know I will have to have!!

It's not fair Apple, stop doing this to me!

I want my new car!

*slaps face*

Apple don't release hardware at WWDC, just software, with the exception of 03 :p

-Rich-

Thank you for this reply. You have made me very happy :p

If Apple's going to introduce any new hardware @ WWDC '08, my hunch says it'll be that 3G iPhone, seeing how it's supposed to be ready for Q2 '08.

just something that came to my mind:

osx for non-apple hardware, like... building bridges to once unreachable landmarks like yeah, having osx on non-apple hardware.. ;)

In my eyes they'd lose a huge selling point. Also, having control over both hardware and software makes things move a lot quicker and allows for more interesting ideas to be implemented (like an eject button on a keyboard lol)

of course, i totally agree and i think it would turn out negative in the end for apple.

but then again... thinking of bootcamp, this might be something to be announced...

but i consider apple to be wise enough to not take this step. they would loose control, would have to mess with drivers and such... plus apple would give away the "exclusiveness"-factor.

i dont care, personally, as long as it works for me, i couldnt care less about "exclusiveness" but for some this might be something to be worried about.

on the other hand, they would gain market share and sell more software.. that could result in higher prices for the OS but yet i know some folks and im sure there are more, that would buy OS X for non-apple hardware...

and if i wasnt an apple user myself i would consider buying OS X aswell, because i would get like the best of both worlds but on "not overpriced non-apple hardware", if you catch my point.

btw, im not saying apple hardware is overpriced, just to make that clear here. ;)

Apple don't release hardware at WWDC, just software, with the exception of 03 :p

-Rich-

What about WWDC 2006, when they released the Mac Pro and announced the new Xserve?

Speculations are stupid. They 1) bring false hype 2) that will not happen 3) and in turn tumble stock prices. I'm just going to play the wait and see.

Come to my flickr page though I got some nice Apple concepts.

What about WWDC 2006, when they released the Mac Pro and announced the new Xserve?

I was just simply repeating what someone else said over on MacRumors *hides* :shiftyninja:

-Rich-

Well it is the developers conference.. I guess they talk about stuff that developers and professionals need to know about. Things like the Mac Pro and the XServe fit right into that as well as SDK's, and OS announcements.

No Mac Minis at WWDC, sorry everyone, but it's not the place.

This is a DEVELOPERS conference. Like, they could introduce a new XCode and even if we don't care, the event would be awesome. Mac Pros have their places though, as well as XServe.

New monitors could happen though, because the science domain has a great use of them.

Damn, I want new hardware, I don't care about software. I know it's a developer event but still.

As said before, Apple really really really needs a mid-range Mac.

The new Intel mobile platform will be out in June. I think they should announce updates to their laptops.