Finnish Music Industry Wants Kindergartens to Pay

According to an AFP report (German derivative work thereof), the Finnish music industry is asking kindergartens to pay about 20 ?uros per month in royalties for singing and performing copyright-protected songs. Marja-Leena Karjula of the national copyright agency Teosto is cited: "Royalties have to be paid for every work that is performed outside of private homes." In a similar vein, last year the Finnish music industry had forced taxi drivers to pay royalties for music played while driving (because passengers might be listening!).

source: http://www.infoanarchy.org/story/2003/1/29/02755/7928

I was going to post this a few days ago, but then I couldn't translate the German text of the original so I left it be. :cry:

Like I've said before, it's time to either:

A) Reform copyright

B) Scrap copyright completely

through the Congress or internationally through WIPO.

Copyright became copycrap along time ago. :angry:

Well freaking hell...

And they wonder why people pirate stuff.

Whats gonna happen they put an undercover narc in the kindergarden class, and one day they sing a song that they didn't pay to be able to sing, so they haul the whole kindergarden class off to the slammer?

You read stuff like that and makes you think to your self to **** it and pirate everything.

According to an AFP report (German derivative work thereof), the Finnish music industry is asking kindergartens to pay about 20 ?uros per month in royalties for singing and performing copyright-protected songs. Marja-Leena Karjula of the national copyright agency Teosto is cited: "Royalties have to be paid for every work that is performed outside of private homes." In a similar vein, last year the Finnish music industry had forced taxi drivers to pay royalties for music played while driving (because passengers might be listening!).

Of course, copyright is not about freedom of speech at all. Those damn kindergarten thieves could always write their own songs. Gotta teach them about copyright while they're still young. Teosto probably took their lessons from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers which, in 1996, tried to force Girl Scout Camps to pay royalties for singing copyrighted songs -- such as "Happy Birthday" and "This Land is Your Land".

Source: InfoAnarchy

Article: InfoAnarchy

its for this same reason that when you go to a restaurant and someone happens to have a birthday, that the staff doesn't come out and sing "happy birthday to youuuu.."

ps. threads merged